1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worse coach with longest tenure

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by leebigez, Aug 2, 2009.

1. That Boi Oz

That Boi Oz Member

Dunleavy without a doubt is the worst coach in the league. He has a LONG record of losing everywhere he has been the coach. Whenever I get down on the Rockets bad luck I just thank the stars im not a Clipper fan because regardless of talent this guy will jack it up.

2. sbyang

sbyang Member

What exactly do you mean by losing everywhere he's been? He's never won a championship but he's had winning teams. He reached the finals with LA and was over .500 with that team until Magic left. He was over .500 every season with the blazers and had good playoff runs, keeping a bunch volatile guys in line. He also won a playoff series with the Clippers.

In my opinion coaching just doesn't matter that much in the NBA. The only skill a successful head coach needs is the ability to get through and get along with his stars. The X's and O's don't even matter much, just get good assistants and let them work it out while you hit the golf course or have dinner with your stars (just as Doc Rivers).

1 person likes this.
  3. dragonz

dragonz Member

The End

4. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

jerry sloan.

you can argue how 'tough' he is, but the fact is he can't win the big one. time to hang it up jerry

5. jason3333

jason3333 Member

my vote would have to be byron scott,has had talented teams but has taken them nowhere, i also dont like him cause he played for the fakers

6. Bruins&RedSox21

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone agree that if Jerry Sloan wasn't the coach of the Utah Jazz, they all wouldn't be a bunch of flopping losers on the defensive end, & play so dirty on the offensive end? :confused: :confused: This, to me, is why Sloan may be one of the worst. That, and the fact he has no championship.

7. That Boi Oz

That Boi Oz Member

I was looking at his time in Milwaukee and with the Clippers. He has missed the playoffs 5 out of the last 6 years. By saying he lost everywhere was a little strong but the guy has not been good lately and for him to be there that long is crazy.

8. sbyang

sbyang Member

It's crazy in the world of the NBA, where 2 losing seasons usually get a coach fired. But look at his performance as coach, replace him with Phil Jackson, or the best coach you can think of, how much better would that guy have done? Just look at last year alone, would Phil Jackson have gotten them to the playoffs, remember the Suns didn't even make it. Even if Phil improved them by 10 wins, doesn't that mean they would miss out on Blake Griffin and are now looking at building around Jordan Hill?

9. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

you can say the same thing about rick adelman

10. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Mike Woodson

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

In fairness to Doc, he almost got the Magic to the playoffs in his first year with a 41-41 record. His best player that year was Darrell Armstrong. I'm hoping that the Rockets can be a team like that.

12. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Don Chaney. He did not do well with the Rockets and so with the Knicks.

13. sbyang

sbyang Member

The best player on that team was Ben Wallace.

He also lost 19 in a row with the Magic and 20 in a row with the Celtics. Everyone thought he was terrible and deserved to be fired. Then next season he got KG and Ray Allen and all of a sudden he's a champion and a winner....

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

A guy that averaged 5pts & 8reb and only played 24mpg? That doesn't sound like a teams best player.

I would take the guy that averaged 16pts & 6asst in 31mpg was their best player. They were predicted to be the worst team in the league.

Doc was only there for 10 games of the 19 game losing streak. He went to Boston and won a division title his first year. That 20 game losing streak was actually 18 games and it was without Paul Pierce as well as Tony Allen. The team went into tank mode.

15. sbyang

sbyang Member

I'll admit that I don't know much about that Orlando team, my only memories of them are that Ben Wallace was on the team and that they did overachieve. That's also the only Doc Rivers team to overachieve until the recent run.

I do know alot about those Boston teams. During Doc's first year he had GP and Pierce leading the way with young Al Jefferson and Delonte West as bench guys, later on Ainge traded for Walker to help push that team into the playoffs. They won the worst division in basketball with 45 wins. They lost in the playoffs to the Pacers, the team in turmoil coming off the palace brawl.

16. Mr Chuck Norris

Yeah we could but, You know Rick hasn't been with a team FOR TWENTY FIVE YEARS!!!!!!!! I WOULD THINK SOMETIME IN THOSE 25 YEARS RICK WOULDA WON A TITLE!!!!!!

17. Mr Chuck Norris

I really dont know how it's possible for someone like flip saunders who won 59 games get fired after one year.... But Jerry Sloan still be there after 25

18. sbyang

sbyang Member

Flip's team did not respect his authority as coach. The Pistons always said they police themselves and coach themselves. Flip was more like a consultant who suggested plays than a coaching authority. Say what you will about Sloan, but his teams always feared and respected him.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You know how many teams have won a championship in that time?

It is hard to win in the nba.

20. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

how about lenny wilkens? 1000+ wins, but 1000+ losses (though atleast 51% winning record)

or Bill Fitch 944 Wins, 1106 losses, 22 seasons (coached in Houston, LA Clippers and Cleavland) but led Boston to a championship