1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 1560am 8/4/2009 8:10am

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Unfortunately I couldn't make it to join them, but I wanted to pass along that Rockets GM Daryl Morey is going to be talking with Lance Zierlein and Danny Vera on 1560 the Game for a good stretch (half hour to 40 minutes) tomorrow (8/4) starting at 8:10am. You can listen online at http://www.1560thegame.com

We're obviously in the dog days of NBA fandom, so thought this was a unique chance to give some heads up before the interview and get any good questions you have in. If there are questions you would like to have answered, Lance said he'd love to hear them. Feel free to post them here or email them to the station at doublerods@1560thegame.com

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

When will Tmac be off the roster?

3. AB#0

AB#0 Member

Question: What type of player do you think Trevor Ariza and Aaron Brooks can be for the Rockets in the future?

4. ILoveTheRockets

My question would be:

When can we trade Brent Barry and get some useful legs on the court?

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Are there any videos off Daryl Morey passing?

6. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

My question, though it's probably too far in the future to be answered:

"I understand that Yao is still the cornerstone of the team, but since he is getting older and may become less effective, does the front office have an idea of who they would like to target as the Rockets' next franchise player, or is it too early? Do they want to continue building around the C position considering the more athletic and faster game that the league is developing into, leaving behind the so-called classical Centers?"

7. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Who are the players he is looking at?

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Can he please give us a glimmer of hope that he's working on improving the roster for next season?

I'm patient enough to think something will go down, and I do know Les won't sell any tickets trotting out our current lineup.

9. That Boi Oz

That Boi Oz Member

Is Les willing to pay luxuary tax this year? What is the update on getting the rookies signed and delivered?

10. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

I'd love to ask something like this, but it's probably a little too long-winded...

11. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

1. Does he think there is any chance yao plays next season?

2. Does he think the current roster has a legit chance to make the playoffs?

3. Based on the play of Budinger in the summer league, does the coaching staff feel that he has a high chance of being a rotation player this coming season?

4. How does the coaching staff feel about James White play in summer league and his development going forward. What does he need to show the coaching staff to get in contention for regular minutes?

5. Does DM feel that Andersen has a good chance of starting at center at the start of the season?

12. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

What does DM guarantee the fans will get during the 09/'10 season, other than entertainment?

13. el guapo

el guapo Member

can we trade cook for an athletic 7-footer who can rebound, block shots nd run?

14. jason3333

jason3333 Member

i dont think we could even pay someone to take him

15. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Exactly what I would want to ask him if I had a chance. I doubt you would get an honest answer though. He has to speak positively of Yao's injuries and give hope that he may come back even though, to me, it is abundantly clear that he is not a franchise center anymore because of health concerns.

16. panda8six

panda8six Member

it's not about intangibles specifically being overrated. it's just about valuing a commodity at the correct level.

For example, the MLB overrates speed and underrates OBP. With this information you can get players that have a big impact on the game at a below-market price. It just so happens that in this main scenario speed/defense is "intangible" and OBP is a stat. But they bring up a ton of other stats (ERA, RBI, etc.) that are listed as overrated.

In the NBA (according to Morey), virtually every stat is flawed in some way. A made FG might have been a bad shot that should've been a pass. An assist might have been a risky one and you should've just shot on that possession. The list goes on. Traditional stats are pretty useless because they don't account for things like team pace (one common misconception is that the 07-08 were a purely offensive team and a bad defensive team, when in fact they were a better defensive team than offensive team).

The Rockets try to distill the actual value of players from traditional stats, but to my knowledge the formula the Rockets front office uses has never been published.

17. dexkk

dexkk Member

He is the franchise center until his contract expires. Hopefully, we'll have another franchise player before that happens because I definately don't buy the concept that a bunch of role players in Adelman's system can win us a championship.
    Oh, and I agree Yao won't be the franchise center anymore but he will get paid like one until 2011.

18. n_naik1

n_naik1 Member

Based on our current projection of likely being in the Draft Lottery next year (barring Tracy McGrady healthy enough to lead our team into the playoffs or an extraordinary effort by our youngsters to do the same), who are the Rockets looking at as possible draftees for the team? Has Daryl Morey's staff scouted anyone and are they particularly interested in drafting someone with a lot of potential who can develop into a star or are they looking at someone who can fill in a role and just be a role player to contend on our current team when/if Yao comes back?

(way too early I know)

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Ask him why the David Andersen signing STILL has not been finalized. Is it solely due to a holdup in the paperwork from FIBA? Or is there something else in the works (i.e., signing/trade) that is the cause. Thanks.

20. DontMessWithUT

What is the latest on the Von Wafer situation?
    Are talks even close between him and the Rockets?