1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McGrady Expects Return to Elite Status

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheGreat, Jul 30, 2009.

1. htown1984

htown1984 Member

I hope everyone bashing TMAC will give him a apology when he does come back and has a healthy season, the guy will give you 20+ easy next year. If his trainer is making bets on him then there is some serious talking going on. The guy was dunking already and looks very strong.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If he scores at least 30 points in one game. I will apologize, but seeing as that is not likely going to happen...

:cool:

3. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Its not we don't cheer for him, its the fact he has said plenty of stuff in the past to make you think otherwise.

Nobody likes a talker who can't back it up and especially when they repeatedly fail.

Actions speak louder than words my friend. T-mac needs to do more than just talk.

If he comes back and plays hard, many Rocket fans will love him again. But one leads me to believe if he comes back and plays hard, he won't re-sign with the Rockets. He is going to jump ship with another Elite team, to see if he can piggy back it.

This is his contract year, he has everything to lose if he doesn't prove anything.

4. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Do you really believe he is in his prime?

5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Seeing as we have no Yao and not really any other scoring options. I don't see how TMAC will not score 30 in a game if he plays. I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 40 in a loss.

6. ringin08

ringin08 Member

You should up your bet to not only apologize, but to be silent on the board until Tmac is hurt again.

7. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

Wait I've this story before...is it a reprint?

8. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

No offense, but Tracy dumping a 30 spot on some team next year with no Yao in my opinion should be a piece of cake. He got a triple double on one leg last season.

9. RedRedemption

How about this, I will never bash tracy mcgrady again. Until the day that he retires from the NBA. I will also fully support him until he retires. Even if he gets hurt.

I'm very confident I will win!

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'll bet he is very motivated. At least by McGrady standards. As others have mentioned, I don't think Tim Grover would waste his time or risk his reputation unless McGrady is putting in some serious work on that knee so I wouldn't be at all surprised if McGrady came out looking closer to 07-08 McGrady than 08-09.

That still doesn't change the fact that he needs to go but with Yao's departure I guess I'd rather have a team with McGrady win 50 games instead of one with him out that wins 35. I would still like to see him moved if Morey can get talent back but I guess we will have to wait and see. At least McGrady's shot selection will look impeccable after watching the shots Ron threw at the rim all of last season.

I can't wait to see the first McGrady "heat check" from the 3 point line when is something like 3/11 from the field!!!!

11. RedRedemption

I really hate his heat checks. When you are on fire, you don't force shots... You go with the general rhythm of the game. :(

12. ringin08

ringin08 Member

You may be speaking for yourself, but many on the board are just simply and plainly Tmac haters...not Rockets fans.

Most professional elite athletes are big talkers, it almost takes that mentality to be elite. But no one can back up their talk injured. Talking trash and not backing it up is like Artest trading to guard Kobe when he is healthy but still can't compete with him at all.

I think from his comments, Tracy knows that he owes the Rockets organization because of how he said he is keeping in contact with the organization about any possible trades involving him. Most players DON'T do that. I think Tracy loves this team and city and wants to retire a Rocket with some playoff success if a ring. I speculate that he has probably indicated to the Rockets that he wants a chance to prove himself to the team and even maybe that he will take a reduction in salary to stay with the team after this year....again that's just my hypothesis.

1 person likes this.
  13. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

I hope you are correct. I got nothing against "Hope"

But you have to agree a little with me right??? T-mac did get himself in trouble with his past talk, especially from a guy who is being paid over $20 million a season.

How can you not be disappointed :(

14. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

i dont know if this is all TMAC trying to win back his fans. i wouldnt be surprised if the team went to him and mentioned that season tickets purchases are down, can you do an interview to show your progress to boost some sales and help your rep as well?

15. RedRedemption

Nobody believes in him anymore.

16. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I would think a player would be constantly checking on possible trades involving them because they want to be traded.

That or he is very paranoid.

17. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Some may have a problem with him just "talking the talk", but this is the confidence I wanted to hear from him. Recall last year, he was saying he wasn't feeling good and "I may have to shut it down". Completely different talk this year, and this is a good thing. If he's confident in himself and optimistic in coming back to his old form, then good for him. If you're a true Rockets fan, you're rooting for him as long as he's on that roster.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While it would be nice to see Tracy come back and fill a "role" , I honestly believe he will be showcased for a deal.

Consider that his jumper hasn't been the same (and will never have that consistency again)since the back issues.Just look at that high release point and the margin for error.

Tracy also needs to dominate the ball to be effective and that's not going to work with us trying to win titles. UNLESS HE'S PRIMARILY A FACILITATOR. I just don't think his mentality will allow him to reign it in.

Also take a look at him defensively.While I don't expect him to be the guy that would shut down Kobe in the mid to late nineties,he's got to be able to D up.

I don't see Tracy staying healthy for a whole season. There's been enough rolling the dice with both Tracy/Yao.

Then there's that big salary and all the good things we can do with the CAPSPACE.To me it's a no brainer.

Tracy and the Rockets need to say all the right things,then......
    Adios TMac.

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Where did you get this stupid idea. There are definitely Tmac only lovers but to say many on the board Tmac only haters is just stupid and not true. I developed a dislike for Tmac because of his continual arrogance above the team. He doesn't have a love for this team. He screwed them last season and only has a love for himself.

Listen to his interview it's all about him. How he will be elite how he can score 30 right now. How people who left the wagon will see the are wrong. He never talks about the Rockets and how they will be better. How he can help them. How they showed alot of spunk against L.A. and he wants to help them be better. How they are young and getting a year more maturer. And then he can talk about how his skill wii be perfect for them.

Tmac is an elite talent. But he is all about Tmac. He only wants to win in a way that makes him look good. It's all on me. This is my team. Tmac has won many individual accolades, all stars, scoring titles, amazing highlights but he has yet to win anything with his team. He has won games almost alone on his own talent but he has never played as member of a team do only what is best for the team. The last 2 years have seen him only get worst.

And still after all of the antics from this selfish b**** with a vagina I am willing to root for him if he comes in and plays hard and listens to his coach. I am not convinced he will do that but if he does I will root for his sucess. That's fro a Rocket lover who put his team above any dislikes for primadonnas on the team.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Look, this is all a matter of the team's future. It isn't about hating Tmac---isn't hate reserved for bin Laden, hypocrites, jerks, etc?

Tmac needs to come back strong. He's only, what?, 30 years old? He has another contract to think about. And this includes saying and doing the right things as far as the Rockets organization. Certainly he plays better without Yao; together on the court, they seemed to move at two different speeds, despite the half-court set.

But if we can trade Tmac to improve our team going forward, we need to do so, despite how many jerseys his name sells to 8 year-old kids in Houston. Does anyone think we're going to offer him a lot of money----ANY money----going forward?