1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Enough with the pessimism, we WILL make the playoffs!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Artesticles, Jul 31, 2009.

?

PLAYOFFS!?

1. Folks, this is real.

73.6%
  2. No way!

26.4%
  1. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

The last few years, people here have been calling out the media for disrespecting the Rockets, whether it was during the 22 game winning streak, or the "fluky" performance against the Lakers last year. Well if you ask me, nobody's been disrespecting the Rockets more than their OWN fanbase, and I find it rather sad. But then again, this is Houston, which is notoriously fair-weathered.

Anyway, I don't understand how so many people can look the other way on how they dominated the Lakers at home without any of their all-stars. Why do the doubters think that was an aberration? We were great at home pretty much all year, and it's not going to change next year either.

Even in the regular season, we weren't exactly a junk team when both T-Mac/Yao don't play. I remember this game in particular:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=290316003

Here's some reasons why I think we'll be fine:

COMPETITION IN THE WEST
    Lets take a look at the teams the missed the playoffs last year. You have the Suns who will once again be decent this year with Nash and Amare back and the rest of that core, but they are still horrible defensively, which I believe will keep them under 50 wins once again. I firmly believe the Rockets are the better team and will finish ahead of the Suns once again.

The other non-playoff teams, I see some improving, but all of them losing at least 50 games once again. With the Rockets defensive mindset, that will allow them to continue to take care of business against these inferior teams. This year, our free flowing offense (without ball-stoppers, force-feeding to the post, and fronting defenses), along with our new and improved transition game will allow us to blowout these inferior opponents, so don't be surprised if our average point differential is greater this year than it was last year (+4.0).

As for the playoff teams, I still think we're better than New Orleans. Their bench is still their weakness and hasn't really been addressed. They just don't have enough good role players to surround Paul, West, and Okafor. Utah was one of the more disappointing teams in the West last year, and Boozer is already prepared to be traded. Dallas is getting old with their core. They'd be championship caliber with their roster a few years ago, but this year, they'll be a lower seeded playoff team at best.

IMPROVED EXPERIENCE
    Especially at point guard, with Brooks starting the season at PG, and Lowry gaining more experience as his backup. I think both will be solid and will excel in Adelman's offense and transition game. The team should already know by now how to play without Yao and McGrady, so we're not exactly in foreign territory here. We should see a better version of Landry as well. Everyone else are already experienced vets for the most part that know what it takes to win short-handed.

DEFENSE
    This is what's going to keep this team above water without the star power. Defense + transition O will absolutely murder teams that are young, turnover prone and unathletic (which will balloon our margin of victory like I stated above). While it will be difficult to beat the elite teams without a Yao, T-Mac, defense will certainly keep us in the game, and we should be able to steal at least a few games, especially at home.

DEPTH AND VERSATILITY
    The addition of Ariza, Andersen, and whoever nabs the final roster spot between White and our draft picks (probably Budinger) will add even more versatility to the team. Ariza gives us an additional three point threat and is a defensive force. Andersen's combo game of posting up and perimeter shooting could become a huge weapon or decoy for whatever schemes Adelman runs with him on the court. I think the Andersen signing was all about adding versatility to the team. When you talk about player and team matchups, having a guy that can post up and bomb from long distance is a luxury.

MENTALITY
    This is also a re-stating, but this team won't have a "woe is me" attitude with the guys on this roster like Battier, Scola, Hayes, etc. They all know no one expects anything out of this team, and they'll use that as motivation throughout the season.

THE X-FACTOR: TRACY MCGRADY
    Last and certainly not least! With the recent and encouraging news of T-Mac working hard in Chicago for a hopeful early comeback, that would surely increase our win total even further if he could even play the way he did just two years ago. Sure this is a PR stunt you could argue, but he did suggest he's feeling much better than that, as in Orlando T-Mac.

Either way, say what you want about his style of play and his mentality, but when McGrady is healthy enough to play competent NBA level basketball, the Rockets are better when he's on the court. All the statistics indicate this, whether it's on-off W/L or on-off +/-. His ball-handling and play-making surely would give Brooks a break at PG duties and allow him to operate more as a pure SG, which is his true identity. The numerous options to play the pick and roll/pop will allow McGrady to rack up double digit assist numbers quite often, and I expect him to rank high in the league in the "true assist" statistic, like he always has when healthy.

In conclusion, this Rockets team is playoff bound, and I'm willing to wager that we will. If we miss the playoffs, I'll donate to T-Mac's and/or Deke's charity. I've already thought this thing out. I will donate $50 + 5*X to their foundation, where X = # of games we finish behind the 8 seed.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Keep dreaming.....

But thanks for the analysis... greatly appreciated.

3. McGreat1

McGreat1 Member

w/ limited options from your poll.,,i cant vote..but im more on the positive and optimistic side.,but not enough to say "FOLKS THIS IS REAL".

but man if the west was a beast these past 3yrs i dont know what you'd call it this season.Man its gotten even more tough.

4. Rocketfanatic2

I agree with you about the fact that we do take a lot of criticism, but to guarantee the playoffs right now is very risky. We are a young team, but we do have playoff experience which is good. We have lost Artest, Yao for this year, and T-Mac for maybe half the year. We are trying to be one of select teams to make the playoffs without a true star for a whole season. I definitely think we have the ability to make the playoffs as this team has alot of heart and faith that they can do it. Good to see one of the few remaining believers of this team. Go Rockets. :D

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

You left out the most important part, which consists of 50% of total team play: OFFENSE

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets have a bottom 5 offense next season.

6. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Uhh... I left out offense? Please re-read the following categories:

DEFENSE (ironically)
    DEPTH AND VERSATILITY
    THE X-FACTOR: TRACY MCGRADY

7. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

I think most people here think the Rox will make the playoffs. The problem is that we will be a very low seed (7-8) and go out in the first round. The source for the pessimism is that what we all really want is a championship and now that seems in the very distant future.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not being fair weather AT ALL.

What do you expect when Yao is announced out for the year and Artest is going to LA AND Tmac out half of the season.

Not only that, some people would rather have a Top 5 lotto pick than a 7th or 8th seed.

9. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Is our goal to hobble into the playoffs? I agree we can still probably beat NOH consistently, but odds are lakers, blazers, mavs, spurs, nuggets are locks. Of course nothings in stone, but realistically we're looking at 6th seed optimal.

Only one team has won the Finals coming from the sixth seed, and they had an MVP caliber player leading the charge. I don't see this squad being the second ever to accomplish that.

10. Raven

Raven Member

And what is accomplished by getting stomped in the first round? Nothing.

Me, I'd rather have a chance at getting the top pick in next year's draft.

11. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

The roster is not set yet and people are saying that the Rockets will get at best the 8th seed and get crushed? Why not just wait till December and look at the record then try to justify those comments. :rolleyes:

12. bluesinsoul

bluesinsoul Member

i'll bet a good amount of money that rockets will make the playoffs.

13. feihung316

feihung316 Member

since when do fans cheer for their own team to miss the playoffs? seriously, we're talking playoffs. It's called competition, and we got players that would compete till they drop. why don't you ask how that's working out for the texans.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

We probably will make the playoffs, but....

FIRST ROUND EXIT!!!!

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

:( damn you didn't have to say it like that :(

16. BigVic785

BigVic785 Member

Exactly I don't care about competition; I want to be the best, a champion. If we need to break it down for year in order to build a stronger foundation then so be it.

Lets not dabble in mediocrity;

if ur not first ur last
    Ricky Bobby

17. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

So adding Ariza and a few other guys that have yet to sniff the NBA hardwood translates to depth and versatility??

Cmon now....I am all for cheering on our guys, but you have to be realistic. This is not the same well rounded squad from last year. We don't have as many offensive weapons (minus Artest and Wafer) and our defense has also taken a step back (minus Artest and Dikembe).

Call it what you want, but we're going to be lucky to win 40 games this year. I'll even go so far as to say we'll be lucky to win 35.

18. ringin08

ringin08 Member

I'm with you all the way on this one. I not only think the Rockets will make the playoffs, I think that they will compete for a championship this year! I posted a thread a couple of weeks back about how the Rockets were pulling a fast one on the rest of the teams in the NBA, and people who couldn't read clearly interpreted that wrongly to suggest that I said the Rockets were lying about Yao's injury and then derailed the tread. But what I meant was that all the other teams are counting the Rockets out of the contenders next year, but Tracy will come back early and Yao will come back in April and no matter what playoff seed we have then, our team will be stacked to make a run.

That may be why we haven't seen Battier traded yet, imho. Although I would still do Battier/Dorsey/Barry/Cook to Portland for Outlaw/Fernandez/Przybilla; but I don't think Portland is crazy enough or wants Battier enough to do that deal. But I can also see Morey not trading Battier at all if it is not in a package that contains another all-star, if he believes that come April we can make another run with a ready and healthy Yao joining a team that had Tmac coming back early and that pushed hard all season to get us any playoff seed.

All the so-called "fans" here that want the Rockets to tank for a high draft pick and are always calling for them to lose certain games for whatever reason, I don't know what to call them, but I sure don't count them as true FANS! They are really just pathetic bandwagoners that have nothing to do but hang around this board with the real fans.

19. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

champions dont quit. EVER! u have to have that winning mentality if u want to be a champion....

20. HPD

HPD Member

not as we stand.... if T-mac comes back sometime soon and does his magic then yes