1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will start at SG??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Seth, Jul 30, 2009.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I don't know either ... except that our prospects indicate we will be fielding (courting?) a small, weak, slow, offensively challenged team led by a bargain-hunter general manager Donald Sterling could love.

But, to answer the op, without Von Wafer, Budinger looks to be the only "healthy choice."

#41 thumbs, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. kenwonobi

kenwonobi Member

Id be comfortable with Ariza. I hope it is Ariza. The only thing I hope more for is that Ariza starts at SF and Budinger plays well enough to be the starter at SG by the end of the season.

3. Eddie281Houston

Man yall forgeting of my homie G!!!jermain Taylor :D

4. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Where is Landry? Am I missing something? :confused:

5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Jermaine can't dribble with his left hand. Until he learns how to drive left, pro defenders will easily corral him and make him even more ineffective than he was in summer league. Chase clearly outclasses him.

6. Asian Sensation

Aaron Brooks.

1)Lowry
    2)Brooks
    3)Ariza
    4)Landry
    5)Scola

A lineup with Battier AND Ariza would be the worst ball handling 2/3 combo ever. Neither guys can really create their own shot and Brooks at the 1 would only highlight that issue as creating scoring opportunities for other players isn't one of his strengths.

RUN RUN RUN!

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

1) Brooks
    2) Budinger
    3) Battier
    4) Scola
    5) Anderson?

Bench Ariza to ensure our second-team still has some defense, when Tracy McGrady ultimately returns to the line-up (if he is healthy and productive) we would have a very nice line-up and decent bench.

WHEN TMAC COMES BACK:

Brooks/Lowry
    McGrady/Budinger/Taylor
    Battier/Ariza/White
    Scola/Landry
    Anderson/Hayes

8. DdotConrad503

DdotConrad503 Member

Coach will not start Chase over Ariza without proving himself to be a legitimate starter.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I just feel like starting both Ariza and Battier would not be a wise choice. You can replace Budinger with whoever you want, as long as it is not Ariza.

10. dragonz

dragonz Member

Ok, I followed your assumption that Ariza is not a true SG, but then the suggested solution is Belineli ? SERIOUSLY?
    We don't need to be this pitiful after every trade that is made and thinking "we could get that guy".
    Jesus

11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

How about acquiring Anthony Morrow from Golden State? 6'5 210 lbs (dropped 37 in his FIRST NBA game)

Quick release. High scorer in summer league (for what that's worth). Seemed to be relegated to the bench because he was being paid less than other G/F's on the roster (Jackson, Maggette, Azubuike, Curry, George). Golden State is stacked at the SG / SF (wing) position.

He possibly could be had for a future 2nd round pick and one of our stashed players (Newley? Leunen?) as he was an undrafted free agent.

Some stats...

Among Rookies
    #12 Scoring
    #6 3PM
    #2 3PM%
    #10 2PM% (guards)
    #5 Most efficient rookie guard per 48 mins
    #21 FG% (#3 among guards)
    87% FT shooting
    #5 in rebounds (among guards)

Plus his fro-hawk could replace Von's... just saying!

12. hangwak

hangwak Member

I still think Aaron Brooks will have the most shots on the team next year (until McGrady is ready) but I agree that our starting line up will be something like
    Chuckwagon/Andersen
    Scola
    Battier
    Ariza
    Brooks

13. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

Ariza or T mac

14. chief

chief Member

i have no idea...why everyone thinks he wiil be the next ginobili,,i think batum has more upside///

15. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

point forward - battier
    sg - brooks
    sf - ariza
    pf - scola
    c - andersen

:D

16. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Has to be either Tmac or Ariza. The rookies are still raw and maybe after a month into the season their names could be inserted but as of now its Ariza. If Tmac is healthy, Its him.

17. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

1.Aaron Brooks
    2. Battier
    3.Ariza
    4.Scola
    5.Hayes

I would put Anderson at 5 but who knows what will happen. This should be the lineup starting in pre-season. Other then that, we'll see. I mean I doubt we will have a consistent lineup til maybe late Dec or early Jan

18. Seth

Seth Member

Golden State seems to be on a firesale, maybe we can send them Brian Cook and come away with some usefull player, we also have a few exceptions they might want, but that would mean we have to cut either cook or barry.

If we replace Barry and Cook for a serviceable C ala Elson (10-15 mins a game) and a serviceable SG ala Morrow (cappable of exploiting some games) we are talking serious.

Many seem to miss my point, even if TMac returns, it would be nice to have a backup, as TMac is not the most durable...

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

While I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of Taylor, people need to realize that Jermaine played in the summer league with a badly strained hamstring. Also, Chase shot LIGHTS OUT in the summer league but did little else (not that he played poorly otherwise, but he didn't truly shine in any other area). Jermaine's injury, combined with Chase's obvious hot streak, probably leaves little determined within the Rockets' front office and coaching staff regarding which rookie will deserve playing time over the other during the regular season.

That said, no way either rookie starts. It will be an Ariza/Battier SG/SF combo in the starting lineup to start the season. Only another injury or a trade will change that.

20. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Artest is not a 2. There is no 2-guard in this league that Shane or Ariza are afraid to guard. I don't think the combo is doomed. Shane can defend the 2, and I don't think Ariza at the 2 is a huge problem on offense. They can hold it down til TMac returns.