1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jon Stewart owns Bill Cristol talking about Healthcare

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by London'sBurning, Jul 28, 2009.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

<table style='font:11px arial; color:#333; background-color:#f5f5f5' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='360' height='353'><tbody><tr style='background-color:#e5e5e5' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;'><a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com'>The Daily Show With Jon Stewart</a></td><td style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; text-align:right; font-weight:bold;'>Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c</td></tr><tr style='height:14px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;' colspan='2'<a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-july-27-2009/bill-kristol-extended-interview'>Bill Kristol Extended Interview<a></td></tr><tr style='height:14px; background-color:#353535' valign='middle'><td colspan='2' style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; width:360px; overflow:hidden; text-align:right'><a target='_blank' style='color:#96deff; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/'>www.thedailyshow.com</a></td></tr><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><embed style='display:block' src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:240007' width='360' height='301' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'></embed></td></tr><tr style='height:18px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><table style='margin:0px; text-align:center' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='100%' height='100%'><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes'>Daily Show<br/> Full Episodes</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.indecisionforever.com'>Political Humor</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.jokes.com'>Joke of the Day</a></td></tr></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Skip past the Palin stuff at the beginning. I'm sick of hearing about her. Healthcare talks starts at 5:50 mark, but my favorite part is around the 11 minute mark.

2. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I have a couple of questions on health care.

1) In the cases where some one is on the feeding tube in a coma with 0.001% chance of recovery while being on the government health care, who decides when to pull the plug.

What about 0.01%, 0.1%, 1%, and 10%?

2) For doctors determining what kind of a procedures a person should get, what will keep them from loading up on the more expensive ones? I don't think they're shying away too much from that today, but they at least have to fight the insurance companies a little when it comes to billing. If we think government can decide treatment, what parameters would have to be reached?

3) If we have a government health care, can the government dictate certain amount of health standards. In Japan, there apparently is a waist size minimum, should we adopt something like that here? I'm coming from the view that a government health care is a privilege and not a right (kind of like driving).

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, Bill Cristol just basically said that the best health in America is run by the gov't!!!!!

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That decision rightfully belongs to the attending physician.

Do not offer the proceedures unless prior conditions are met. Once these conditions are documented, it would be worthwhile to invest in more expensive proceedure if a diagnosis/treatment is no closer to being decided than before.

Unfortunately, this is highly unlikely.

5. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Would a family have the CHOICE to change physicians should they disagree with one's decision? What if it's not a coma but cancer treatment with low likelyhood of success but very high cost?

I'm still not sure how those guidelines are met, I'm talking about right now where I would check the doctors when I visit on things they "have to have" such as multiple X - Rays, multiple blood samples, visits, checkups etc.

That's what I thought, which is some what ok. I suggested we have different tiers/pools aid for people based on at risk behaviors (kind of like how insurance charge people different rates based on risk indicators) but I can see how some wont like it.

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While there should be a choice in the beginning, unless the attending shows gross negligence, there should be no involuntary patient exchange.

Essentially those are some of the most important tests you can have at first. Blood tests will show various signs and symptoms of a multitude of diseases and disorders. If there are virtually no symptoms, then there is no reason to progress further with an expensive treatment. If there is no improvement, then there is reason to apply more expensive proceedures.

I think it is a great idea myself, but it violates the mission statement of the insuring party the United States.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Thankfully, not me. 0.001 percent? 1 in 100,000? I hate to say it, but I think hospitals have taken babies off of life support, with a court order, with odds better than that.

Without government health care I imagine it's a claims adjuster; and what's worse is he actually has to turn a profit.

8. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Bingo.

For those of you who fear Big Government making these life-or-death decisions, remember: the ones making the decisions now have to turn a profit or lose their job. And providing care is always less profitable than not.

9. Southern Select

The Daily Show/Colbert makes up a duo that is held in such high regard by white people that to criticize it would be the equivalent of setting the pope on fire in Italy in 1822. It just isn’t done, in fact it isn’t even considered!

White people love to make fun of politics, especially right wing politics. It’s a pretty easy target and makes for some decent humor, but white people are actually starting to believe that these two shows are becoming legitimate news sources.

“Oh, I don’t watch the news,” they will say. “I watch the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. You know, studies show that viewers of those shows are more educated than people who watch Fox News or CNN.”

White women all consider John Stewart to be the most perfect man on the planet. This is not a debate, it is law.

The Daily Show also features guests like John McCain, writers, policy analysts, and actors. It is comforting for white people to see boring celebrities get interviewed in a funny fashion. It fills their need to do something productive, but also not work that hard at it.

Take note that Tuesday through Friday during the working week, you can break ALL awkward silences with white people by saying “did you see the Daily Show/Colbert Report last night?” At which point they will start talking until it’s time for you to move on to more interesting activities.

1 person likes this.
  10. ringin08

ringin08 Member

Just so sad to have such racist comments in this day and time. :(

11. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

12. DreamRoxCoogFan

I dont get where bill got 'owned.'

13. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Statement A: The government can't provide good health care.

Statement B: Government-run health care is the best.

14. aghast

aghast Member

Yep, followed by,

Conclusion: Therefore, government should not provide good health care to its citizenry. (Paid for by CIGNA Health.)

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I really do not get why people are so scared in the US about this government health care. We sort of have it in the Netherlands and it works great. my gues is people are just scared of what they do not know (and some are negative about anything Obama wants/does)

16. rocket3forlife2

Catch up man!!

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i believe this has been pointed out to you numerous times, but not sourcing the material you take from someone else is a big no-no on this site.

18. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

When you copy and paste, the rules of this forum state that you must provide a link. Please follow the rules.

19. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

By the way, it is evident that you do not have anything to say about the substance of this video. I suspect that the omission is because you cannot answer the points made. So, instead of trying to answer the points made, you try to deflect by not criticizing TDS, instead posting a strawman about how TDS can't be criticized.

If you have criticism for the clip, please post it. I don't have any problem with people who criticize TDS, it is a comedy show on a comedy channel. However, when you can't even answer the points made by a frickin comedian, it shows a lot about the veracity of your ideology.

20. Fatty FatBastard

55 minutes after Gloogrux' post, you either:

a) chose to post the exact same thing.

b) didn't bother reading through the thread prior to posting your scolding.

Both aren't held in high regard here, either.