1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would it have been better to lose to Portland

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by A_3PO, Jul 28, 2009.

?

Would it have been better to lose to the Blazers to keep Yao healthy?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. No

230 vote(s)
    83.9%
  3. Can't decide

16 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Mr.TripleDouble

Not a chance in the world a Rockets fan should say yes to this.

Yao's foot injury was going to occur regardless of whether or not he played that series versus the Lakers. It wasn't a matter of if but more so when.

And in all honesty, I'd rather have this injury made known in the offseason instead of Yao going into next season and getting hurt early on and then getting surgery.

Seeing those situations like Artest going into the stands and Yao & Deke embracing in a hug after Game 7 were sights I won't forget as a Rockets fan for a long time. I know it may sound sad to say that considering in essence, it was just a first round victory, but that was the happiest I've ever been as a Rocket fan in my conscious basketball following years.

2. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

If we were to have gotten swept by the Lakers in the 2nd round then maybe I would have voted yes, but we took them to 7games and really got to see what this team was made of. Thats something I would never trade.

3. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

Man, if we lost to Portland I could see all kinds of things being different now. Just to name a few:

- The Yao injury wouldn't have happened, so Artest stays.

- With Artest staying here, Ariza stays in LA.

- The Wafer-Adelman incident wouldn't have happened, meaning Wafer would IMO almost definitely have resigned by now.

- With Wafer back, we probably don't go out and get Taylor, and possibly not Budinger either.

- Without the Yao injury, we probably don't bring in Andersen.

- If we didn't play the Lakers, Brooks' stock would nowhere near as high as it is now. Same would be true to a lesser extent for Battier probably.

- If Portland had played the Lakers instead of us, their young players stock would probably be much higher.

- Discussions about possible trades with the Blazers would sound VERY different. We'd probably be asking what we could add to Battier and Brooks to get Fernandez.

1 person likes this.
  4. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

As if Yao's injury would go away if he didn't play against the Lakers.

At the very least, the Rockets are now building a team that's not reliant on injury-prone players.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No,we desperately needed to get in the 2nd round of the playoffs. It was extremely important for Yao as well. With the amount of pounding that he takes on his feet because of his height,he could have gotten hurt even in the earlier part of the upcoming season.

6. ringin08

ringin08 Member

It would have been better to win that last game in Dallas so that we would have been seeded differently and then met the Lakers in the WCF...that would have been awesome!

But anytime anyone talks about if it would have been better to lose a game, let a lone a freaking SERIES, I just get so :mad: :rolleyes:

7. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

It wouldn't have gone away, but it probably wouldn't have become public knowledge until after we resigned Ron.

8. stab

stab Member

McGrady!!! Is that you who posted this!!!

'Cage matches? Yeah, they work. How could they not work....If they didn't work, everybody would still be in the cage.'

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

No, because now we won't have analysts using "the current Rockets roster has no experience past the first round" against us as a reason that we'll lose. I never bought that reason, anyway.

Well, it could still count for you-know-who.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No because he would have gotten hurt next year anyway.

11. Ashes

Ashes Member

No. No. No.

No.

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I know it is the off season but no need for all these cRAZY ideas!
    A team with a great tradition should never throw a playoff game!
    Now Yao Ming will have his bad food put into shape and should be able to play for at least 5 years. :p

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Nah, this franchise needed to shed the playoff monkey in the worst way. Plus, this isn't the first time Yao has had this problem of breaking his foot every year. We're at the point where we're pretty much banking on this reconstructive surgery to save Yao's career. I don't think playing three less games would have changed that.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

Sure and B&M(b**** and moan)

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Are you even a Rocket only fan? A Rocket and Yao only fan would both be on the same page with this. Win baby win. If Yao never plays again he has already accomplished something that Tmac never did. You can't take that away from him and I doubt he would give it up even with hindsight.

As for a Rocket only fan there are only a few scenarios we would advocate losing. For example the end of a losing season with a lock on the lottery and a chance to move further down, yes tanking is acceptable.

Your scenario is more along the lines of since we know Yao was injured would you have been happier today if we lost to Portland knowing Yao would go down if we won. As a diehard Rocket fan I can truly I enjoyed this season more than any other since the championships. How can you not appreciate the 7 game series against the Lakers.

Yes it would be nice to have yao healthy. But we have learned more about Yao's foot and as much as one can the importance of not overworking him. That might not have happened had he not gotten injured when he did. Also the Rockets have beefed up their backup center spot so that when he does comeback he won't have to play the long minutes. And unlike you I believe Yao will comeback this next season if we are in the playoff hunt.

So your question is a no brainer to me and IMO any true Rocket fan. Win Baby win!

16. Rocketfanatic2

Losing to Portland wouldn't have prevented Yao's injury. More than likely, all it would have done is delay the injury, because his foot needed fixing anyway.
    I think it's better him get it fixed as soon as possible, and hope for a quick return. Based on the situation, it's better him sit out this year than next year because of the possibility of signing a big name free agent. Don't blame you for wondering this, but think about it, we lose to Portland, Ariza doesn't come to Houston. This way, I think it's a win-win situation (Hoping on Yao's quick return.) :)

17. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Injuries happen anytime. Players are getting older and the wear and tear of their bodies will eventually catch up to them. The Rockets should cherish each season and try to reach their goal because there is no surety that they will be forever be healthy or their play will remain the same. This is also the reason why tanking is the most idiotic thing to do.

18. kenwonobi

kenwonobi Member

Not really this might be a blessing in disguise. Because of this injury we may finally get Yao better and make the team do some needed moves to get better instead of trying again with Tracy, Artest and Yao together this year again and hoping for the same results year after year if we had signed Artest because Yao was healthy.

19. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Seriously..

Yao's injury was bound to happen...its just what we have to deal with, we have two of the most injury prone players in the league on our team eating up all of our payroll. I think everything happens for a reason, and the end of an era has unfortunetly come to an end. Now its time to look at our future with or without Yao

20. sbyang

sbyang Member

Yao could have hurt his foot bowling, or in the middle of this season.