1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bozer for Luis Scola?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by matac3, Jul 23, 2009.

1. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

This is good! And funny!

Still don't know if I'd do the deal....
    ...but it makes too much sense to just blow it off.

That IS why you make trades in the NBA, after all.
    The goal, at the end of all that wheeling and dealing, is to get the best player in the bunch. Not to clear cap space or exile someone unpopular.

Carlos Boozer is better than Luis Scola.

But....that doesn't mean that Boozer makes the Rockets better. In the short or long-term. I just don't know enough about Boozer, other than him routinely kicking our asses in the playoffs (lol)....

...but chemistry counts. So does being a good teammate. And you have to look at the situation you're bringing a guy (best player or not) into.

The best case scenario this season is that Boozer plays a significant number of games with Tracy McGrady. The worst case is that he's the best player the Rockets have and has to do a lot more than he may be able to deliver on, system or no system.

I just don't know if Boozer is that type of anchor. Deron Williams is the better player between himself and Boozer, and the Jazz wouldn't be worse off if Scola joins them.

It's interesting...and it's also why I'm glad I just get to play GM on the internet...

2. Rocketfanatic2

Interesting news, but I never really thought we would go after Boozer. Plus, now that Scola has proven to be a key player, I just can't see us trading him for a guy like Boozer. He would be nice to have, but losing Scola would be a blow. Glad to know we're not too interested. :)

3. AB#0

AB#0 Member

I don't know if anyone noticed but Rockets already said they aren't interested in Boozer.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I find it amusing that leebigez, who posts on the internet b****ing about Daryl Morey's moves (or moves he should have made... like getting Johan Petro, Tim Thomas and Ricky Davis) is constantly defending his opinions by saying that anyone who disagrees with him "don't know how to run a company" or are "not hunters who succeed in business."

It's funny to me because, you know, unlike leebigez, the guy whose moves he's criticising is actually running a company, and not posting on the internet proposing Tim Thomas deals and make vaguely insulting references about people's abilities to run a company. That guy also seems to be have hunted down a GM's job by age 32.

Maybe it's only funny to me.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Typical, only quote or post selective items. When I mentioned tim thomas, ricky davis, or petro, who was it for or the money? Let me recall what I mentioned in regard to all three before I get back on the boozer non boozer situation.

At the end of the 08 season, a couple of things were clear, the rockets didn't have any size or scoring from any wing not named tracy, they were still small, and they had trouble matching up with 3/4 hybrids. Also what was noted before any jumped on the wagon was rafer is a backup and brooks is the better player. So what did I suggest since you and a few others like to selectively bring up. A cheap,productive 2/3 in davis was one. He had a terrible year with the injuries. Prior to this year, he played well off the bench or ina starters role. Pre Artest and with tracy coming off surgery and luther head just sucking, I mentioned Davis or barnes as low cost, effective backup swings for the rockets. Knowing the rockets only had some of the mle to spend, the rox used the lle on a washed up barry. Davis signed for 2.2m and barnes signed for 1.2m. Barnes proved to be a great bargain, davis wasn't because of injuries. Barry was terrible and was beaten out by wafer. All in all, nothing wouldve been lost. I mentioned tim thomas as a trade possibility for a couple of reasons. First, I thought brooks was the better player and deserved to start and landry was holding out. I threw out the trade idea of rafer and chuck for tim thomas. Not only were explanations about rafer and landry situation in the forefront, but another reason is the rockets have matchup problems against the odom types of forwards. You can knock thomas all you want, but he played well when he played and he's a playoffs performer.

Last bu not least, petro. Going back a few years now and with the injury history of yao, I've felt it has been one of the biggest holes the rockets have always had. If you recall, even if you never bring it up, I thought the rockets main priority shouldve been a quality big that can play 15-18 mins for Yao. That big should also be able to start and play big minutes because history has shown yao will go down. If you just go back to draft day, of course I questioned the selsction of dorsey over jordan. Of course, I won't get credit for calling that one, but its cool. Also in free agancy, I threw out cheap big guys like elson, magloire, anderson to name a few. Instead we waited till almost mid season and brought back deke. I really didn't have a problem with deke, but in case anyone failed to notice, adelman never plays him unless yao is hurt. What good is it to have a backup that never plays? This summer, I thought it would be better and cheaper to sign a guy like petro vs a older guy international guy that will take some time to get used to the nba.

Back to Boozer, I mentioned people not having the ablity to run a company because they mix feelings against logic. In business, whatever it is, its to have the most talented people who can work and make your company successful. When the idea popped up, a lot of posters were against any logical thought of having boozer because of "feelings". That's petty and feminized to make a decision based on feelings. If jordan or the bulls organization made decisions with these same feelings, they wouldn't have won those extra 3 rings. Rodman was hated and despised in chicago, but was respected because of his talents and his contributions. Jordan and pippen didn't think about the cheap fouls given out by rodman and crew.The goal was to win, not reflect on things that were said or done in the heat of the battle. Now , the rockets would have the better player, the younger player, and a huge expiring and posters like yourself wouldn't want that because he played for a hated rival in utah? That's like saying dell wouldn't take the top engineer from apple because he worked for apple.

6. kenwonobi

kenwonobi Member

I agree with post above. Basketballs about winning not emotions. Boozer made his team a winner no matter what the all mormon state of Utah thinks of Boozer for not being Karl Malone he made them contenders when he played and average 8th seed losers when he didnt or was hurt. They didnt see that though because he wants to leave them so their feeling got hurt and they trash him. The reality is without him Utah has as much chance of winning the Championship next year as we do. Us with him would have a better chance than they would next year. Thats just reality. No offense to Scola but Boozer has carried a team and is a All Star, gold medal winner, and main player for one of the best frabchises over the last years.