1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Astros try to aquire Roy Halladay?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets934life, Jul 23, 2009.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Do you know baseball? The Astros are middle of the pack in OBP(8th in the NL, 17th in MLB). The only Astros regular with a below avg OBP is Pudge. Matsui is the only other regular below .350. The Astros are 7th in SLG in the NL.

In 2005 the Astros ranked 13 & 11th in the NL.

2. juicystream

Bud Norris

4-8(Remember that the Astros have terrible teams) 2.61ERA 108K and is younger than Happ, and in AAA rather than AA like Drabek.

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Not debating Norris vs Drabek/Happ just pointing out why the Blue Jays wanted these two guys...If we gave them our best it may start the conversation but what else can you add to beat out the Phillies, Dodgers and Red Sox...Blue Jays playing hardball so there not going to let him go without trying to squeeze as much as they can. I've said it a couple times we will need to go by it much like we did with RJ...Let the other teams battle it out and last second make an offer and steal the prize.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They are also giving up Dominic Brown (potentially) who is rated #17 in BA's midseason listing (which has Drabek at 24) or Michael Taylor who is also top 25 in BA's midseason report PLUS other prospects.

FWIW, I'm very high on Castro, but not really on Bud Norris despite his numbers. The Astros problem is that beyond those two guys their deal dies.

5. right1

right1 Member

This has definitely been Bud Norris' best year, a breakout year for him at 24. This has also been Bazardo's best year at 25, althought he's had some steady ones. I think Jordan Lyles is the best pitching prospect in the Astros system right now.

Astros just don't need to really go after Halladay. Think they're ready to go to battle with their "old vets" and give it their best shot. Hampton, Ortiz, Moehler have gotten the Astros this far and there will be times they'll only use a 4-man rotation.

On the other hand, getting Halladay to go with Magic Wandy and The Wizard is enticing as a top 3:D .

6. juicystream

We can't beat what other teams can offer, but teams don't seem to be offering their best yet. I understand why they would take Drabek, considering he has dominating stuff and his ceiling is so high, and the big difference if they offer both and what we can offer is Drabek is going to be in the Majors maybe by the 2nd half next year and Lyles(who is only 18) probably won't be ML ready until 2012.

Our biggest problem is that the Blue Jays have a highly touted catcher in J.P. Arencibia, which means Castro's value to them is diminished. I didn't realize that earlier, but that would likely count us out.

If the Phillies offer Carrasco, the Red Sox offer Buchholz/Masterson, the Yankees offer Hughes, then we can't match that even if we tried.

7. justtxyank

By the way, Cards are nearly done acquiring Holliday.

8. juicystream

I heard that report. Have you heard/seen what they are offering?

I assume that this takes them out of any running for Halladay.

Edit: I see the ESPN report, which names the players.

9. swooh

swooh Member

hmm...report says MATT Holliday and not ROY Holliday...

10. justtxyank

Nope. I know yesterday it was Wallace.

11. justtxyank

Um, lol...

I said Holliday. Roy isn't Holliday.

12. juicystream

13. swooh

swooh Member

ah my mistake...i thought you were referring to roy but just got the names crossed up

14. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Its a good move...I kinda think the Stros series woke them up a bit as far as what they need. Still doesn't really scare me but is a nice pickup for them. The one move that scares me is the Brewers trying to get Halladay but I still dont see that happening because it was really drain there farm system.

15. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Matt Holliday is overated IMO. All those years in Coors Fields helped his stats a lot. I thought the the Cards had some decent outfielders already in Rasumus, Ludwick, Ankiel, and are moving Troy Glaus there when he comes back. Very steep price to pay for him.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Are they brothers? of a different mother?

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good point. Who goes to the bench now? Not that you or I should care, but I think its either Rasmus or Ankiel.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

2 different people. Matt HOLLIday and Roy HALLAday

19. juicystream

Ankiel because he is hitting .219 on the season. He has been horrible for them this year.

20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The numbers back-up your claim about Coors helping out his numbers:

Career @ Coors Field: .357 avg./84 HR/307 RBI/.423 OBP/.645 SLG /1.068 OPS in 1353 ABs
    Career on the Road: .281/48/197/.351/.450/.801 (1481 ABs)
    Season with the A's: .286/11/54/.378/.454/.831 (346 ABs)

@Coors a HR every 16+ ABs
    career on the road, a HR every 30+ ABs
    this season, a HR every 31+ ABs