1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Affliction: Emelianenko v. Barnett is off...positive drug test for

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by robbie380, Jul 22, 2009.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

...Barnett.

at first it was reported to be weed but now it is looking like it was steroids

http://www.watchkalibrun.com/2009/7/22/958313/josh-barnett-tested-positive-for

Fedor is going to fighting Belfort now.

Please get a deal done with the UFC Fedor!

2. Jayou

Jayou Member

Good grief....Vitor better hope he doesn't test positive himself. Isn't that how he got bounced from the UFC back in the day?

Either way, he's going to be destroyed by Fedor.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15597/wit...confident-in-providing-worthy-replacement.mma

With Barnett scrambling to clear name, Affliction confident in providing "worthy" replacement
    [​IMG]

by John Morgan on Jul 22, 2009 at 4:45 pm ET
    Top heavyweight contender Josh Barnett may not get his long-awaited opportunity to face Fedor Emelianenko, but he's not walking away from the main event of "Affliction: Trilogy" without a fight.

According to Affliction vice president Tom Atencio, who today held a media call to address Barnett's removal from the Aug. 1 event after reportedly failing a California State Athletic Commission-administered drug test, "The Babyfaced Assassin" is working feverishly to clear his name.

But while Atencio wishes Barnett the best in his attempt, the Affliction exec knows he has no choice but to move forward – at least for now.

"As you probably can imagine, this has been a complete surprise to us," Atencio said of the potential loss of Barnett. "When we spoke to the California State Athletic Commission, this was not something that we were prepared for. But it's our understanding that Josh is taking further measures to validate the results of the test."

Atencio said the CSAC collected two samples, as is standard practice, and the first had come back positive for a "banned substance." While the CSAC has yet to issue its promised "comprehensive" statement, Atencio said he believed the second sample was currently being tested.

"At this point, the California (State) Athletic Commission has taken two samples, and it's my understanding they are in the process of checking the second sample," Atencio said.

While Atencio said he's continuing to hold out hope that Barnett can be cleared of the initial findings, he also knows he has no choice but to put together a contingency plan.

"I'm moving forward, and if [Barnett] is cleared, then great, obviously," Atencio said. "If not, I'm getting the best opponent, making sure the fans are happy, and I'm confident moving forward."

As to who will step in for Barnett, Atencio would not commit to a specific name but was confident the deal would be a good one.

"I've got three people that I'm speaking with," Atencio said. "Until I have a contract in hand, negotiations are in place. But until I have a contract finalized and it's done, I'm just not going to say anything. It just doesn't make sense for me to get anybody's hopes up, so we're taking it one step at a time.

"I'm confident everything is going to be fine. This is just another bump in the road. This happens with organizations, and to be honest, I'm not really even worried about it."

When pressed further on the matter, including various reports that Vitor Belfort has already verbally agreed to – if not signed for – the contest, Atencio stuck to his position.

"I haven't finalized anything with them," Atencio told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "We're still talking. Until they hear it from me, and I personally will call them, until they hear it from me, nothing's finalized."

Additional potential replacements for Barnett mentioned in various reports include Strikeforce fighters Fabricio Werdum and Brett Rogers. Atencio would not mention the fighters by name, but he did confirm that negotiating with Strikeforce's talent was a possibility.

"I work with Strikeforce," Atencio said. "We share fighters, as everybody knows. I'm talking to them."

Atencio also said while Emelianenko would certainly reserve the right to approve any replacement opponent, he felt the WAMMA heavyweight champion would be willing to accept any proposition.

"Fedor is open to fight anybody," Atencio said. "He's the No. 1 fighter in the world for a reason. He's not going to back down from anybody."

With the CSAC yet to issue an official statement and Affliction yet to confirm an official replacement for Barnett, the status of "Affliction: Trilogy's" main event is still very much in question. But Atencio said the organization is committed to moving forward whatever the outcome, and he promised to still put on a quality show.

"If [Barnett's test] results stand, then we're deeply disappointed," Atencio said. "Having said that, we are very confident in getting a worthy opponent."

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ouch. That would've been a big fight. I don't know who or what else out there would give Fedor that much competition. Any victory over him would more than likely be sheer "luck" than technical superiority, in my opinion.

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

R.I.P. Affliction.

6. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Agreed. This would have been a huge fight for long time MMA fans. Also a chance for new MMA fans to see a couple of long time bangers go at it.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/7/22/958359/questions-arise-about-josh

well it was a different steroid than i originally posted. drostanolone looks to be a more hardcore type steroid than the one first posted.

also i was a bit happier to see that the belfort fight hasn't officially been booked yet. they might try to get werdum to fight fedor which wouldn't be a bad fight since they are actually both heavyweights.

8. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

No Rogers or Werdum... :(

9. engr chris

engr chris Member

I want to see Fedor vs. Seth "Kimbo Killer" Petruzelli