1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Sports] Kelly Dwyer's top Unrestricted FA list (Wafer #4)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...t=ApU9xE2XY3HWy1lAnLEDB1s5nYcB?urn=nba,177670

A pretty good write-up, I think. The players mentioned are:

1. Odom
    2. Andre Miller
    3. Diogu
    4. Wafer
    5. Gooden
    6. Nesterovic
    7. Powe
    8. Joe Smith
    7235. Iverson.

I agree with his take on, among other things, Wafer. Who needs to find a place to show that (1) he's not as big a head case as he showed in the Lakers series, and (2) last year was not a fluke.

Interesting he mentions thinking Houston would be a decent destination for Rasho. He's not bad, but I think David Andersen already has the $2.5 million foreign veteran center spot filled.

2. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

rashos going back to the raptors.

and sign wafer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I like Drew Gooden's game, but I know that he could not play at the center spot for us.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Can we sign Powe to a tiny two year contract? Why not?

5. logicx

logicx Member

Allen Iverson comments are funny:

I'm surprised Von made it that high on the list. Poor fella can't seem to get more money...he picked a bad year to step up his game and make himself worth more money...he'll have to wait a little bit longer to cash in. But if we were to get him back, I hope he doesn't hold it against us for not paying him more, could make him moody....

6. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

yes.sign powe. Im a straight man. But you have to admit he's sexy. :cool:

que the mayzar jokes.

7. Jaee

Jaee Member

I feel we have to sign Von back if we can with whatever is left of the MLE.

I know some of the posters here feel like Chase and JT can feel his shoes straight up.. i think it could happen but not immediately. Von has proved that he can play in the NBA. Chase and JT has only played in the summer league which is a whole new competition level. If you can sign Von, you do it. Since Yao and Tracy is out, we need a scoring punch and Von showed us last year we can do it.. so we sign him and use chase/jt for backups for the 2/3 spots.

Sign VON!

8. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

If you look at our roster, we are lacking a true starting shooting guard. Brent Barry is old, Budinger is more like a 3 and despite his great play is still a rookie, Taylor is a true shooting guard but has gotten off to a rough start from what was seen at summer league, Ariza is more like a three, and Tmac is out for the start of the season and is also more of a 3. Von Wafer is the only true shooting guard we have now, and started several games for us last year, so he's comfortable with a starting 2 role.

But then comes the issue of how important it is for the Rockets to have a true shooting guard. If we bring out a starting lineup of Battier/Ariza at the wings, our defense would be great, but there would be learning curve for Ariza on offense. But if the lineup is able to produce well in many other areas, this short-term learning curve is tolerable.

In my perspective, Wafer is the ideal starting 2 guard for us to start the season. He played great for us last year when he started and at least had a great series against Portland. But depending on the type of contract Wafer wants and the overall direction that the Rockets want to go for the future, signing Wafer might not be the right option. Wafer is not the type of player that is critical to our team's success.

9. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

Forget Wafer for a second. Does anybody really think we shouldn't be trying to bring in a shooting guard? What, are we just going to forget what's left of the MLE and say "yeah, we'll be alright with Battier and Jermaine Taylor at the 2"?

10. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

No, they are holding on the MLE until they see how their trades pan out. It's not like the MLE expires tomorrow.

11. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Why didn't the the self professed best PG in the NBA Stephon Marbury make the list. I think his entourage is looking for a recount.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You think we're an SG away from...... what exactly?

13. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

The playoffs go through the Lakers. To beat the Lakers, we need to get a SG that can stop Kobe. You are right. Shane and Jermaine Taylor aren't going to get it done at the 2. Wafer won't stop Kobe, either.

Kobe Stopper
    [​IMG]

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Wasn't he also the Zach Randolph stopper?

15. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

There is not a 2 that Shane or Ariza cannot guard (and don't say Kobe, nobody can guard Kobe)

16. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Forget Wafer, let the bonehead walk unless he takes the minimum and earns a rotation spot. His antics in the Laker series were a joke. I am ready to roll with what we have, unless we sign Rasho for cheap as another backup.

17. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

Um...we're an SG away from having a much better team. I'm assuming you want to see us upgrade there at some point, right? Or do you see Brent Barry and Jermaine Taylor as our SG tandem of the future?

I mean, it's not like we have a couple of promising youngsters and just don't want to add a temporary stopgap. We have NOTHING at the 2. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another team in the NBA with a worse shooting guard situation than ours. Should we just twiddle our thumbs, wait until summer 2010, and throw a massive contract at whoever we get stuck with after Lebron, D-Wade, and the rest turn us down?

And it bears repeating that Wafer isn't some old veteran who'd have no place on a rebuilding squad. He's younger than Landry, Brooks, and every other Rocket except Lowry. Call me crazy, but I really think we should just bite the bullet, break the bank, and give in to Wafer's outrageous salary demands...

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Everyone is so high up on Wafer, when few people realize that Ronald Murry will give you nearly the exact same stats, with slightly better ball-handling and defense.

Now he is older than Wafer, and does not have his "potential" that DD is so crazily hot for, but he is the exact same type of player that is much better for any playoff-team that needs bench players.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

+1. Rasho would probably be the only player I'd like out of the one left, especially if we can sign him to a 2 mill per year type deal. My only problem is we don't have any roster spots left, 2 guys will have to be cut.

LMAO at AI. Good job KD, ignore the morons posting comments in your blogpost. Dude is a liability, I personally wouldn't pay him the minimum...not that AI would take that amount to begin with, he reminds me of Sprewell with each passing day...

20. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

How about a SG who isn't the single worst offensive player in the NBA, among those who get as many minutes as he does? Can we get one of those?