1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FanHouse] Drexler Vows To Become NBA Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JeopardE, Jul 20, 2009.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Send him to Rio Grande

2. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

As long as he stops color commentating as well then i'm fine w/ it......oh, as long as it's not here.

3. aar

aar Member

I'm new to these forums, can someone point out why Drexler is the lead color commentator over Matt Bullard? Matt's an excellent color guy and brings wit, knowledge, and even some passion to the road broadcasts, while any one of you could list off why Clyde is horrific at the job. Does Les thinks they need a big name guy doing the talking? Is Clyde holding Les's favorite pet hostage? Is presenting Clyde as the lead guy Les's way of fending off all of the Calvin Murphy apologists?

4. angrykitty

angrykitty Member

Is it April 1st? So after all the effort (or lack thereof) he put in at UH, he thinks he can coach in the NBA. He needs to talk to JCG about and decide if he wants to sleep in his office.

IMO very few HOF type players can succeed as coaches, because they can't understand why the players they coach can't do the same things they could do in their playing days (see MJ, Isaiah, Bird). Although with Drexler and MJ, I think there is the lack of desire to put in the effort as well. However, guys that were good but not superstars (Rudy, RA, Zen master Phil jackson) had to work hard just to make it in the league, so they understand the work ethic and also can explain the fundamentals to teach players and motivate the role players to do the little things needed to win. Mario prbably will end up being a pretty good head coach some day. Drexler, a no. Go spend your money and enjoy yourself.

5. angrykitty

angrykitty Member

Fixed edit

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

man clyde is gonna get miced on the regular if he becomes a coach; it would be straight comedy.

7. acjeitherocket

aw shiiet lmfaoooooo

8. 2rings

2rings Member

Has anyone told Drex that NBA coaches work more than 20 hours a week?

9. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

as much as i love clyde - nba head coach??? i dont see it.

10. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

If we're shooting for the lottery: which it seems like we are gunning for; then WTH not?

Clyde can coach us at home and Van Chancellor can coach us on the road: we should get a top 10 pick for sure! ;)

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Does Clyde know that coaches have to go on road trips?

Maybe he heard the talk earlier in the offseason about Phil Jackson potentially coaching only home games and he thought, "Hey, that's pretty sweet!"

12. BleedRocketsRed

Why the Van Chancellor hate? I don't watch Comet games but didn't he win like 4 championships?

13. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Let Him start as an assistant coach then see where it takes him. :D

14. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

What a bunch of *****, drexler is an awesome commentator. I don't need dull ****ing facts and stats and **** that I mostly know, I want to be entertained, and Drexler is defintely entertaining.

15. BleedRocketsRed

Honestly, he isn't great but sometimes his perspective is interesting. I do like hearing his take on players he has played against (Stockton the cheap shot artist being one example)

16. onreego

onreego Member

After great success coaching UH to 19-37? The motto on the locker room wall will read "Make it easy like clubbing baby seals"

17. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Clyde's pregame pep talk to his players in his first ever NBA coaching debut:

"Ok boys you have to make sure that you are consumate professionals out there. You have to bring it on every play, day in and day out. And you know what to do if you see a mouse in the house. On three ...1...2...3. CLUB BABY SEALS!!!!!"

18. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

[​IMG]

19. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

I hope he coaches the Lakers.

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Clyde Going to Coach???

I thought he was the league's most awkward color commentator. ;)

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/07/clyde_drexler_nba_coach.php

Clyde Drexler says he wants to be a head coach in the NBA. "I'm going to coach in the NBA. I don't know where, but I am. And I'll be a good one," Drexler told the FanHouse blog over the weekend. "When I turn 50, that's what I'll be doing. The timing will be perfect."