1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hermann, his hair and his giant hands leave the NBA for Spain

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.euroleague.net/euroleagu...55229/3694/tau-ceramica-signs-walter-herrmann

Signing with Scola's old team, actually, and I think will be teammates with Eliyahu.

I thought he was pretty useful with the Bobcats, didn't do much with Detroit. Probably gone from NBA for good.

Not someone on the Rockets radar, obviously, given that the PF spot is filled and they just got their 3pt shooting Euroleague big man in Andersen.

2. engr chris

engr chris Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/82iihDAxDLA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/82iihDAxDLA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It's hard to keep the European players even in a recession. They get offered more money back home.

4. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

It's a shame. Hermann was actually a good player for the Pistons.

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Since when is Argentina part of Europe? :D

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Argentina plays in the Euro League?

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

No but he said a European player, he is not a european player he is from Argentina. Now he is playing in Europe but that does not make him European.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, lot's of Argentinian's with a last name...HERMANN !!!

You just know you can trace his roots back about...oh...64 years or so...to...uh....EUROPE...

:D

DD

9. BetterThanEver

I thought everybody knew he was German.

10. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Let's get this straight. First of all, Argentina is not located in Europe. Secondly, it's Argentine, not Argentinian.

Btw, I don't even come from Argentina or anywhere close to it... :eek:

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

During scrub time. He wasn't good enough to be a rotation player in the NBA.

12. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Both are actually correct, but I prefer Argentine as well.

...and yes, good job DD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Argentines

13. BetterThanEver

Are the asians in Argentina not considered asian anymore? If so, than I agree Hermann is not European anymore. :D

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This news sucks. Not that the Rockets wanted Herrmann or anything. But he plays the same position as Lior Eliyahu, who just signed a multi-year deal with Tau. This move may set back his development over the next 3-4 years.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

disagree with you. Hermann has a lot of stuff that make a good nba player-relentless hustle, some hops, a semblance of a jumpshot, and those big ass hands. He just didn't fit in Detroit and didn't get a fair shake. I think he was the only white boy in that team and probably got alienated and suffered some sort of white boy racism. I distinctly remember the camera showing Sheed looking away in disgust as Hermann doved for a loose ball and thought no way is hermann going to thrive in Motown. Sheed would feel threatened at seeing someone actually trying and shoot him down so he wouldn't look bad. Oh well, here's hoping he comes back when his contract's over....

16. BetterThanEver

3-4 years. :eek: If he 's still developing over there for the next 3-4 years(27-28 yrs old), it's unlikely he ever leaves.

On 2nd thought, Morey did bring Scola over at 27 and David Andersen at 29.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The guy had a great rookie year, but sucked for his next three seasons. He completely lost his shooting ability/NBA figured him out.

18. Nook

Nook Member

He has had a lot of personal tragedies in his life and it has taken a toll... he could of been a very good NBA player but his heart isnt in it

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My impression is that he suffered from being a tweener... not quick enough to defend the quicker/more skilled wings, and don't quite have the rebounding ability and bulk to play substantial PF minutes.

He can still be a 15-20 mpg contributor on the right team. I think he is at least better than Scott Padget. However, it may be more lucrative, and personally rewarding to play a bigger role in Europe.

20. aceman

aceman Contributing Member

FYI, we know Argentina is not in Europe, but Argentine's consider themselves more European than South American.