1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Von Wafer to sign with Phoenix?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by djohn2oo8, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The problem is there are just as many, if not more, examples of overpaying "budding quality players"....who "budded" in their contract year. Matt Carroll ring a bell? Heck, even Mike James?

There is absolutely NO evidence that Von will get any better than what he was last year - at least on the Rockets. And his weaknesses, as have been pointed out already, are such that it really doesn't matter if you keep him or not, and you certainly don't want to overpay for him.

This has nothing to do with moneyball. Von isn't a high-risk player. He just is what he is. Clearly that's something that the brain trust at Rocketland thought was something they could find elsewhere, or cheaper, or not at all, and have minimal effect on the team.

In regards to getting something back for him, clearly what the Rocket's want back for him is nothing - that IS the asset, they get to keep the MLE money they want to use to sign other players...or nobody.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

3. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

IF your gonna take this tweet for fact....dude also says we have a offer to Chris Wilcox on the table.

4. DaDakota

The difference is that none of those players you mentioned had Von's elite ahtleticism...even Morey commented about it, Von is one of the best athletes in the entire league and may be the quickest SG in the NBA, that is a massive advantage.

Drives me nuts when people say he is easily replaced.....10ppg in 19mpg shooting 44% overall and 40% from 3pt land is NOT easily replaced......

Not by a long shot.

DD

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah great depend on 2 rookies.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It probably came to signing Wafer or getting Andersen. I don't see the Rockets using up their entire MLE on players of this caliber. Let's wait and see what Phoenix offered. Maybe it wouldn't have made sense financially for the Rockets to offer similar money.

7. eman

eman Contributing Member

Is Von restricted or unrestricted? :confused:

8. sephiroth.hk

sephiroth.hk Member

sun is suitable for wafer.
    nash will make him up 2 level.

9. blender

blender Member

I agree with your first point. I think Wafer was doing what was asked of him on the offensive end, which was to stay aggressive and attack the basket. Rather, it was his poor defense that was the problem.

I have no problem letting Wafer go, as I don't see him as a long-term solution to the backup SG spot. Taylor, Budinger or White may not be either, but this is a good season to take a gamble.

10. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Von is unresctriced.....right?

11. DaDakota

I agree, it might have come down to money...I just believe Von is worth up to $3 million of that MLE money.....

Guys with his speed, athleticism, and competitive nature do not fall from trees very often.

DD

12. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

good luck Von!

i'll miss your passion and energy. you were perhaps the best 15th man in recent NBA history.

13. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Yessir. Ariza's more athletic, can play better D and is a overall more well rounded player than Wafer.

Peace out if this is true.

14. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

Von Wafer is a nice player and worth what he values, but no team would offer him a nearly full MLE like the cases of Caroll and James. A contract worth 2m/yr seems like the appropriate prize for him, any offer exceeding that prize would definitely turn into outrage. Daniels and sessions also deserves our attention and part of our MLE, but neither of them is worth burning the full MLE. Reasonably a full MLE should afford two of the 3 guys mentioned before.

15. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If true I'll definitely miss the energy and exciting plays.

I will not miss his perpetually petulant mug.

16. DaDakota

Ariza is a better defender but he is NOT more athletic....and is not nearly as quick off his feet or with the ball as Von is.....Von averaged more PPG last year than Ariza ever has....EVER.....

Whatever though.....if he goes to Phoenix......he may end up starting, and Nash will really allow him to go through the roof, to where he is very sought after for his next contract.

Good move by Von...

DD

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Every time Wafer opened his mouth it certainly sounded like he fell from a tree repeatedly.

And where was Von in the Lakers series?

I'm glad Morey didn't overpay to keep either of the 2 Knuckleheads. Artest should never be your best offensive weapon and Wafer for all his talent seems to not "get" it.

I'd rather rebuild and suffer through a crappy season than deal with a mediocre year with the brainfart brothers.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

Why are people talking about Ariza being a better fit for this team?

Ariza is a SF and Wafer is a SG.

Ariza would most likely start and Wafer would most likely come off the bench.

It has nothing to do with who is a better fit between Ariza and Wafer.

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

I don't know about the more athletic part. Ariza is pretty athletic. I would say he is pretty close to Wafer when it comes to being athletic.

20. DaDakota

Artest was a problem but Von played ok in the Laker series, his PPM production was above his regular season production, he just got less minutes.

And while people think Sasha shut him down...the truth is that after game 1...Von did fine and Sasha was the one that was shut down.

You guys dissing on Von are going to be shocked as he turns into a VERY good NBA player for someone else.

DD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.