1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Von Wafer to sign with Phoenix?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by djohn2oo8, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yeah Wafer really disappeared in that game in Boston. You may not be aware of this, but players sometimes improve after their first season in the league.

2. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

I hope this isn't true. Wafer brought an offensive spark to us when Yao and Ron didn't provide it. He is a special player and if this new is true then Daryl made a big mistake.

3. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Isn't that why they hired Gentry? To get back to the run and gun style?...

Terry Porter was SUCH a bad fit for them IMO..

4. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

Wafer is a restricted FA, so the Rockets can match whatever kind of contract the Suns offer him. Wafer will still be a Rocket if Morey wants so, and I'm sure he wants him to remain a Rocket at least till the date when t-mac comes back.

5. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Nice points, BT. It takes a lot to get on the Rockets bad side. AS DD said, he was proven in many areas, and he must have worn out his welcome since they only wanted to offer the minumum to him.

And, knowing he probably would not accept the minimum they drafted a replacement. Hopefully Taylor can acclimate to the NBA defensive pace and still score his points.

6. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

Wafer is an unrestricted FA

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He is a UFA

8. ahess99

ahess99 Member

i was paying attention. they slowed down for shaq. it was 7 ssol and if they didn't get a good look they went into a half-court set.

the first two games after the coaching change i think they put up 125+ ....that is as run and gun as it gets

9. eman

eman Contributing Member

Von's restricted? Hmmm... It'll be interesting to learn his market price, and whether the Rox are buyers at that price.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I bet others on this board believe like me that Wafer sealed his fate last year by getting himself thrown out of the building in the game against the Lakers. Someone in that position, getting a chance after being a non-roster invitee, should always be humble no matter how well he's doing.

You could read between the lines once the Rockets drafted wings in Taylor and Budinger. Whatever problems the administration had with Wafer, they were serious enough for them to warrant making no attempt at all to re-sign him.

And think about it this way: Backup SG is to the Rockets like runningbacks are to the (former) Denver Shanahan offensive scheme.

Wafer did well in our system, but all he was asked to do was take the ball to the hoop each and every time he received a pass. Towards the end of the year he started settling more and more for those awful T-Mac/Ron Artest off balance 20-footers, and even though he made a few, outside shooting was not his greatest strength.

We're going to show everyone how easy it is to plug and play 2nd round picks into our backup wing spot. According to Feigen, Taylor is not as fast as Wafer but is much stronger, a better defender, possesses some court vision (as opposed to Wafer's big fat zero), and can actually pass the ball. Wafer may thrive in the Suns situation, and I hope he does, but I'm sure the Rockets will come away from this just fine.

1 person likes this.
  11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

That sounds like a good idea. I think Wilcox would be a nice pick up. He plays some decent defense, can rebound well and scores on high percentage. Maybe him and Andersen can battle for the center spot...make sure each guy brings it every game.

12. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

If the Rockets wanted to stay young, Von should be back next season in a Rockets jersey. Although I have been skeptical on his defense, I do like the scoring punch he brings off the bench.

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

You may not be aware of this, but last season was Von's 4th in the NBA, not his first. He's played for the Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, and Blazers.

Von's a low-IQ basketball player with questionable coachability. He's good at 2 things, shooting and taking it to the rack, the latter often because he's cherry picking. He's a weak defender, despite his speed and athleticism, which means to me that he's not trying that hard on that end of the court. He doesn't create for anyone else or do anything else that helps a team win.

Not that scoring is a bad trait to have. But let's not kid ourselves about where Von Wafer's career is headed, or what his strengths and weaknesses are or will be.

2 people like this.
  14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Bad news. Von Wafer gave us energy off the bench. I still like his potential even though he had that run in with Adelman. I wish he could have been here longer.

This off-season has been bad so far.

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

Even wh McGrady he would get good minutes. Anyway putting any type of hope in McGrady being healthy is not a good thing. I guess Battier and Ariza can hold the fort down until we are officially in the lottery.

This probably had to do with money and not playing time.

Good luck Wafer.

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I will miss his energy and his off-the-bench scoring.

I do believe, however, that he peaked last season. Would have liked to have resigned him, but I trust DM knows what he's doing

17. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Stop crying over Von Wafer. We spent a couple million to add wingmen like budinger and taylor not to mention ariza. we would way to crowded at those positions. we need quality size. so we are going to pursue that. good move. and its good for wafer.

18. blender

blender Member

A second-unit backcourt of Barbosa and Wafer should be interesting to watch. They'll definitely have some speed but I'm curious to see how it will work overall.

19. cson

cson Contributing Member

Good news. Von needs to know his roll and keep his hole shut.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A-FREAKIN-MEN !

Though to be fair it was not his first season, just the first season he had meaningful playing time.

He is going to be a good player, and the Rockets should not be letting him go, unless it is outrageous money 3.5+ Million.

Taylor - please.....not impressed with him so far, like Budinger a lot, not so much Taylor...

DD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.