1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UFC 100 in Lake Charles?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RedRowdy111, Jun 16, 2009.

1. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Give props to frank mir he sure used his MMA experience into good use against Brock Lesner. Which btw was only a reason I purchase the ufc fight.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I demand a third fight between Lesnar and Mir to settle this epic storyline in a classic trilogy.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Brock Lesnar is pure crack rocks.

4. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Brock comes off as a prick, but it is much needed personality in the UFC. Brock has a skillset that excites UFC fans, and the jerk in him is exactly what the UFC needs. The sportsmanship is big, but it becomes routine after a while. Routine equals boring over time.

Now, UFC fans have a decision to make. Some fans will boo Lesnar because he has no class, but another group of fans will cheer for him because he's a bad-ass.

I'd like to see Bobby Lashley get an invite to the UFC and challenge in they heavyweight division. Before anyone says WWE ppv are not wanted or football players need to stay out, remember Brock and Lashley have great wrestling backgrounds. Plus, they're freaking huge

GSP has no competition, but his matches are way too technical to be exciting. There has to be a Gracie on the rise somewhere. I know Rickson Gracie's kid died a while back. but there has to be a new Gracie generation somewhere

5. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

I didn't think GSP's fight was that boring. It was fun watching him impose his will on his opponent. The way he fights to me is beautiful. He completely stuffs everything his opponent tries to do.

Lesnar winning should help out in getting Fedor to join the UFC.

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Brock is definitely playing a role, but I think he has a real chip on his shoulder, too. No one gave him any respect coming in because of the pro wrestling experience, and no MMA purist wanted anyone involved with pro wrestling anywhere near UFC. Brock is clearly an extremely competitive person, and he took the slagging personally. The UFC fans made it clear they did not want him there and he obviously has no love for them as a result. Lesnar is a freak athlete and used his size, strength, and speed to ruin some pretty big names in only a few fights. He's going to be around for a while yet, and I think he's relishing being the bully, pissing off the MMA "purists" who despised him before he ever stepped in the octagon.

7. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Oh, and anyone have a link to the Jon Jones vs. Jake O'Brien fight? I can't find it anywhere.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

god i wonder how many ppvs a lesnar/fedor matchup would sell? anyone see the official numbers from last night?

and man that was an awesome awesome awesome night. the biggest stage the ufc has ever had and it went perfect in my opinion. i wish gsp didn't rip his groin up in the 3rd because i thought he was getting ready to submit alves. even though he couldn't do much i still thought it was a great fight. gsp is just so freaking dominant. i have no clue who he can fight next. gsp v anderson at a catchweight just wouldn't be fair to gsp imo. anderson is far too big for gsp but if gsp could somehow win a fight against anderson then it would just add to his legend.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

hell why not just put gsp vs lesnar.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The 100 pound weight difference might be one reason. lol.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

lol really good PPV. so happy to see Bisping get knocked the **** out. GSP totally dominated Alves, i think Dana is going to make GSP vs Anderson Silva happen somewhere in 2010..hopefully.

Brock lesnar is just a freak. he basically just lied on top of mir and slowly busted his face open, pretty boring fight IMO. not a lot of action, its like a school yard fight when a bully beats up a nerd

12. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Last night was the first time I've ever watched MMA. I was raised watching boxing and thought MMA was primarily primeval beatdowns. But after watching GSP's match, I'm totally hooked. That was serious technical perfection. At the end of the match, GSP looked untouched (other than the groin injury) and Alves looked like a truck ran him over. I think my wife and I are now fans. Very entertaining. The Bisping KO was also awe inspiring. Talking about karma.

Also...Vegas radio was hyping Jon Jones all week...is there a replay of his match on the internet anywhere? I'm curious.

13. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

http://mixedmartialartvideos.com/

Scroll down a little it should be there. Not his most entertaining fight though. Try to find the one against Bonnar.

14. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

Welcome aboard the MMA train! Great to see new fans of the sport. Right now is the best time to become a fan.. the MMA schedule in August looks to be one of the best months for MMA.

August 1st - Affliction 3:
    Fedor Emelianenko (30-1) vs Josh Barnett (24-5) for HW Title

August 8th - UFC 101:
    BJ Penn vs Kenny Florian for Lightweight Title
    Anderson Silva vs Forrest Griffin (@ 205, non title fight)

August 9th - WEC 42:
    Miguel Torres (37-1) vs Brian Bowles (7-0) for Bantamweight Title

August 15th - Strikeforce "Carano vs Cyborg
    Gina Carano (7-0) vs Cyborg Santos (7-1) First Ever Womens MMA Title fight
    Josh Thompson vs Gilbert Melendez for LW Title
    Alistair Overeem vs Fabricio Werdum for HW Title

August 29th - UFC 102
    Randy Couture vs Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

:eek:

15. sew

sew Member

Did anyone else have a problem with the way Rogan and Goldberg called the Akiyama vs Belcher fight?

They were acting like Belcher should have won the fight hands down, totally taking away from Aki's victory.

It was close, no doubt, but I had Aki winning the 1st and 2nd... and Belcher winning the 3rd.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

yeah i agree with you. i think sexiama might have secured the 3rd on some cards with that take down to side mount with 30 seconds left.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i was joking homie ;)

still be fun to watch though

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Keep an eye on Spike TV if you have that station - they often run hours of past fights and highlights. It's a "best of" of the past several years packaged into several different programs. You'll also get a history of some of the older fighters.

19. sew

sew Member

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Gotcha. :)

Then go watch some of the old Gracie fights. The problem there is that he wins those for the most part. lol.