1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we are going to suck...NOW is the time to do it!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Jul 8, 2009.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Ok there are enough theards about our future we already know we probably wont suck but be no where near a Championship contender and with a few moves to come in remainder of the offseason change is coming but it wont be as bad long term. The Western Conference will be going into a downturn fairly soon and with the salary cap going down drastically in 2010-11 some teams will be in trouble along with stars hitting there twilight of there career fairly soon things look very interesting...

Lakers - Kobe Bryant is going into his mid 30's how long can he last and Ron Ron isnt going to be there savior. Odom may not even return and Gasol alone cant carry them.

Spurs - Jefferson trade was brilliant but Duncan is also past his prime and breaking down, Manu well is falling apart, Parker is still young and will lead this team along with Jefferson.

Portland - They scare me because there going to be here a while and nothing says they wont overtake the Lakers sooner then later.

Dallas - They are going for broke and signing everyone but honestly Dirk is still good but its getting late for him, Kidd is on the downside of his career and that contract he got was stupid, Howard is often injuried and Marion will disappoint just like he did in Miami and Toronto. There about to go into Salary Cap hell so they wont be here long.

New Orleans - To bad they have a horrible economic situation because if they got talent around Paul it would be scary but not going to happen so they will just be good enough but never great.

Utah - They could go either way because they are going through salary cap issues and Boozer leaving will hurt them more then they imagine. It could be a copy of Stockdon and Malone, waiting until later on in there careers to put the right pieces togathar.

Phoniex - Rebuilding

Denver - Could be interesting but Billups isnt there much longer, to bad he got there later in his career but hey thats life. Remeber them before he got there?

GS, Minn, OKC look to have semi bright futures but it will take time for any of these guys to hit the big time.

So while everyone is gearing up for an Arms Race this year it may be at the cost of the future so this year might be difficult but the future may actually be brighter then expected and imagine if we can get a superstar next year along with a healthy Yao for less money we can be in the mix for years with our young team.

Thoughts?

2. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

im totally ok with looking past this year for our future. i want us to get young and athletic and rebuild for beyond.

3. RedRox29

RedRox29 Member

thread title is hilarious
    hahaha :D

4. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

LOL you said "Healthy Yao"

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Fully agree. Don't hamstring the roster in a futile chase to contend. We're not winning a title next year. We probably aren't going to see the second round next year. Don't add to the pain by making desperate shortsighted moves just to get an equivalent result. 38 wins or 46 wins...it's not much difference in the long haul.

We aren't going anywhere until we figure out what our next era is going to be. Sometimes that means sitting and waiting for the next franchise player to unexpectedly come to you.

Who knows, maybe we become the highest win team ever to win the Draft Lottery (John Wall).

But trying to force things when they aren't there is a recipe for disaster.

6. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

Yao will never be healthy.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

For all practical purposes, Yao and TMac are gone, over, done, finished, the end. Which means that our starting lineup is currently Hayes, Battier, Brooks, Arizia, and Scola. May God have mercy on the Rockets. Looks like 30-40 wins to me. I think we have been to the top of the mountain and it is all down hill from here.

8. uchlha

uchlha Member

I think team ball with Adelman's actual Motion offense will make this team better than many expect them to be... Maybe 8th seed in the west if the team really gels and commits to running the offense

9. mob16151

mob16151 Member

a breaking down duncan is still a top 10 player in this league.......

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i dont think so. i think this next year shaq and duncan both will slide a lot.

i also think the lakers have 1 maybe 2 years left and they are done. and the thunder and blazers at this point the future of the western conference.

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Aye. I wonder just how long the sentiment expressed in the thread's title will last once the season starts...

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's going to be very painful,but that's the only way to go. I'm all right with the Ariza signing,but honestly I wouldn't have been unhappy if we didn't get him. I'm in favor of getting a cheap backup center,don't throw more money with long term contracts. We need to rebuild even if it takes us 3-4 years.

13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Kobe is only 30 yrs old

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

"It's Time (to Suck)"

Rockets 2009-10 marketing campaign theme.

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

You are correct, I guess he feels older because his been around so long coming out of High School. However my point still there as players that come out of High School tend to not last as long because they came in so early into the league. e.g. Jermiane O'Neal, Kevin Garnett(missed most of last year) and of course TMAC.

16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Go Rockets Go!

[​IMG]

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Glad to see you used the word "suck". I've been a proponent of such a thing the moment I heard Yao was out for the year. But since I used the word "tank", it brought mostly negative responses.

18. Raven

Raven Member

Seems pretty obvious to me. This team needs to tank for the number one pick. It's still a game built around stars and the most affordable way to acquire a star is through the lottery.

This doesn't mean you give up your plans to go after Bosh next Summer, but by being a lottery team, you then have two different strategies to acquire that franchise player, through the draft, or through free agency.

And I agree with the poster who said that no available big men are worth the MLE. The two that were are now signed and off the market.

19. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

MJ got his last 'ship at 35, Kobe's not yet 31. Lakers have a bunch of guys at 29-30 age and they'd have a good 3 year window. Portland is going to be there for 7-8 years as their core just enter the prime. Spurs, Mavs, Nuggets will be competitive for another couple of years.

The problem with Rox is that they don't have the corner stone yet. TMac is past and Yao just can't get healthy. Lottery may be a good thing if next draft is good.

20. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

Yao's clumsy and flat-footed, and he'll be injury plagued his entire career. Hell, his career may even be coming to a close in the next 3-5 years.