1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigan: L.James trying to steal Ariza, Morey working on having the MLE & eat it, too

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 6, 2009.

1. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I don't know I could stomach a Scola\Noah lineup. One of them would have to cut their hair. It's a subrule to the 1 Long Haired Argentenian per team rule. A dude with bad long hair (Noah) counts 1.5 against that cap (see also: Kaman, Verajo).

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

thus the reason noone is signing with the Cavs

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

His horrible hair is only one of the many reasons I dislike Noah. All apologies to Professorjay, but he is a boil on the butt of basketball... I feel about him much like my feelings on Adam Morrison and JJ Redick (yes this is my "college basketball" bias showing through.)

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

it would have to be Noah that gets sent to the barber. That hairstyle is abysmal...at least Luis' long hair is just long...it doesnt stick out three feet from his head. ;)

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Max free agents rarely change teams. That's a dead end. Better to sign players to reasonable deals and drive up their value to make for an attractive trade offer. That way you always have a competitive team and the chance to add more by trading up.

6. twoface723

twoface723 Member

Yup. A hypocrit. I hate hypocrits!! :mad:

7. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Man I just watched some highlights from ariza he is exactally what we needed last year and exactally what artest wasnt.

A ball mover (not a ball stopper) he can slash like anybody...Kobe, Labron, Morey, adelman...and pritchard all are extremely high on this guy. Thats elite company forget clutchfan members and espn analyst I think we might have something with this guy. I think he has got more love than any other freeagent thusfar.

Another thing I noticed....
    His stats are remarkably similar to Andre Igudala. You let him start in adlemans offense. I think they fit together about as good as you get. He fits adlemans offense way better than ron, yao, and tracy. Regardless of our standings next year I look forward to see (brooks, lowry) Ariza and Landry,Scola run the crap out of people.

8. hmittal

hmittal Member

I agree with tnat statement 100%. If he is serious about attracting free agents to Cleveland, he needs to sign an extension during the 2009 offseason! Shaq only went there because its basically a 1 year deal, so he doesnt care about 2010.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Exactly. Playing for cap room is fool's gold, proven time and time again. It's all about acquiring assets in whatever way you can.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I don't see what the big deal on Ariza is.

Yes he was a good role player on a championship team but I think everyone is hyping him out to be more than what he actually is. He would be a nice p/u but I feel like since the FA class is a little weaker or with more ? marks than anything people are speaking of him as if he is KOBE.

LeBron is in hot pursuit only cause he knows it'll be tough to stop him, Shaq, and Ariza at the same time. If he goes good for him if he doesn't come here his loss.

Whatever.

11. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

How does Eddy Curry strike ya?

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4311048

Sources: LeBron denies Ariza's story

LeBron James did not tell Trevor Ariza he would stay in Cleveland past 2010, according to sources close to the Cavaliers' superstar -- contradicting what a person close to Ariza said Monday night.

That source said that James told Ariza he planned to remain with the Cavaliers past next summer, when he can become a free agent. James could not be reached for comment Monday night, but on Tuesday, sources who spoke to James said the story told by the person close to Ariza was wrong.

James' conversation with Ariza was, according to the Ariza source, part of the Cavaliers' attempt to make Ariza the next Hedo Turkoglu, who backed out of his promise last week to join Portland and instead accepted a deal with Toronto.

Over the weekend, general manager Danny Ferry and head coach Mike Brown flew to Los Angeles and met with Ariza on Sunday, according to several sources with knowledge of the situation.

Ariza, who had accepted a five-year, $33.5 million offer from the Rockets last Thursday, also received telephone calls from James and Shaquille O'Neal. Ariza asked James about his future plans with the Cavs, and then told a person close to him James said he was staying in Cleveland long-term.

"Trevor asked LeBron if he would be in Cleveland after next season," the source said. "And LeBron said, 'I'll be there. Of course, I'll be there.' "

Ariza still had his doubts.

"He thought it was just a recruiting tool," the source said. "Until he signs the contract it doesn't mean much."

The Cavaliers did not ask James or O'Neal to call Ariza, but as he did with Ron Artest, James took it upon himself to reach out. James' future in Cleveland has been an issue with potential signees.

Artest, whom the Cavaliers had interest in before he agreed to terms with the Lakers, was concerned about signing a multiyear deal with Cleveland because of James' ability to leave in 2010. And even O'Neal, who was traded to the Cavs less than two weeks ago, tried to find out about James' long-term plans with the club during trade talks.

Even so, according to sources, a flattered Ariza strongly considered reneging on his agreement with the Rockets and heading for Cleveland, which made him the same offer as Houston last week. In the end, however, he decided to keep his word to the Rockets.

"He's a very loyal person," the source said. "[Rockets coach] Rick Adelman had lunch with him for three straight days last week and that meant a lot to him."

Ariza presumably will sign with the Rockets on Wednesday, the first day free agents are allowed to sign contracts. But until then, other teams can recruit him, and he can change his mind.

Though Ferry and Brown left Los Angeles on Sunday night thinking their mission had failed, the Cavaliers spoke with Ariza's representatives one last time Monday afternoon, only to be told that he still planned to be a Rocket.

Sources say several factors led to Ariza's decision. First, his toddler son lives in Los Angeles with his mother and Ariza liked that Houston was a much shorter flight to L.A. than Cleveland. Second, Adelman promised him the Rockets would feature him offensively while the Cavaliers refused to guarantee him a starting job. Instead, the Cavs told him he'd be given a legitimate chance to compete for the spot against last year's starter, Delonte West.

"He wanted to be sure he'd start," the source said. "That was a big hang-up."

While an about-face is still possible, the Cavaliers, who met with Channing Frye in Cleveland on Monday, aren't holding their breath.

"As far as we're concerned, he's going to Houston," a team executive said. "We've moved on."

The Cavaliers, of course, are hoping James doesn't do the same thing a year from now.