1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigan: L.James trying to steal Ariza, Morey working on having the MLE & eat it, too

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 6, 2009.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I got this tweet a bit ago.....

NBA_Rumors_NewsRT @Anthony_Carter Sources tell me James can't lure Ariza with talk. He'd have to sign an extension now!

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If Morey trying to wait long enough to get a disabled player extension, Morey risks waiting too long and losing Ariza to another team.

Analytical types move very slow trying to exploit all their options, but their best option can the worst option. They forget about the value of time.

3. BetterThanEver

How does a trade work? I thought Ariza was a base year compensation player. Morey would have to taken on more salary, anyway.

4. BetterThanEver

I thought the Lakers were over the luxury tax threshold. Financial reasons can be pretty strong.

5. BetterThanEver

UTAllTheWay

If they lose Odom, they will still be over the salary cap. If the MLE is used on Artest, they will only have the $1.99 million bi-annual exception.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers7-2009jul07,0,2747762.story

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Ariza basically called LeBron a liar, at best, a bu***** pushing salesman.

Dis!

7. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4310284

Ariza is ours. He seems to be a loyal (and intelligent) guy. Not swayed by LeBron's BS. For all the people doubting this signing, sure makes me feel great that he's in such high demand. You don't see Lebron & Shaq personally recruiting just any player... :D

I like him over Artest, out with the old, in with the young!

8. worzel gummidge

Adelman must really want Ariza on the roster:

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yep, DM the GM is a known plodder.

10. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Having the MLE can still be helpful, even if very little of it is used. For instance, Morey may want to use a small portion of the MLE to sign Jermaine Taylor and/or Chase Budinger to three-year deals (team option on third year) like they did with Steve Novak or maybe even four-year deals (partial guarantee on third year, team option on fourth year) like they did with Joey Dorsey. This locks in DIRT CHEAP TALENT long term and takes up very little salary cap room. What if Jermaine Taylor turns out to be a really good player? Do the Rockets really want to be stuck having to match large offer sheets for this guy in 2010 or 2011? Remember, Carl Landry quickly went from taking up ~$450k in salary cap room to taking up $3M because he wasn't locked up to a longer-term deal as a rookie. The MLE is a great way to alleviate this concern.

Thank you! At least SOMEONE agrees with me on this.

12. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Those eight seem to be the ones, to be more attainable.. :)...really interesting prospect would be Joakim Noah... :)
    Joakim Noah(via trade)
    Luis Scola
    TrevorAriza
    Rudy Fernandez(via trade)
    Aaron Brooks
    This team could seriously run.... :D :D

13. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I would seriously have to reconsider my fandom if Morey traded to get Noah. SERIOUSLY reconsider.

14. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

Dampier has 1 yr left on his deal and Cuban has been trying to find a trade partner

please no

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That's laughable. I would rather have career nobody Jason Collins than Damp. Cuban's contract for Dampier was one for the ages.

16. mob16151

mob16151 Member

He's decent and that would save us a ton of cap space for next offseason.......even though we'd probably have to send McGrady's contract back to match......you know what nm....forget i said anything.

17. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Brad Miller, would be great. I know Adelman coached him for some time in Sac-town. I do worry about his contract though.

18. twoface723

twoface723 Member

Queen James is such a snake.. Just let it go LeBron.

19. vince

vince Member

Hopefully Ariza can be as good as advertized.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

What I love is LBJ is asking Ariza to do something he himself can't do, commit to Cleveland. LBJ is assking people to come to Cleveland, and yet he himself doesn't have the balls to sign an extenstion. If you believe in this team, you yourself should committ first. What bothers me is if I'm Artest or Ariza, I come to Cleveland, we get rocked in the first round, and Lebron bolts to NY, wtf am I supposed to do? At least with LA and Kobe you know Kobes is gonna be there for the next 20-30 years.