1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: Please Call Portland

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ghettocheeze, Jul 6, 2009.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

It has become clear the Blazers are desperate in "Win Now" mode and willing to use their 9 million in cap space in free agency. Why? Because this will be their last chance to use it before they have to negotiate contract extensions with Brandon Roy and Lamarcus Aldridge which will put them over the cap for the forseeable future. Not to mention Oden is still a big payday waiting to happen, big man always get the large money. Now Roy is likely getting a max deal and Aldridge might command the same if he has a great year next season.

They have courted Turkoglu, Ariza and now are looking at Odom or Lee.

Taking this into consideration the Rockets could make a deal with Portland for the rest of their young talents and provide them with veteran players ready to contribute right away. After all we are in rebuilding mode so Morey should make an inquiry about Rudy Fernandez, Travis Outlaw and/or Jerryd Bayless. The timing is right for such a move and the Rockets are looking to go young. Now I would be open to giving up either Battier or Landry who have relatively cheap contracts for another two years.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

oh man, do you know what they would give up for shane?

i'd start with fernandez, bayless, and a first round pick.

#2 smoothie, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

If only we had a thread to discuss the possibilities of dealing with Portland for guys like Fernandez or Bayless in exchange for Shane.

4. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

They would love aaron brooks, and shane battier would bring great leadership and defense. I say trade a.b. and battier (salaries of around 8 mil I believe) for fernandez, outlaw, and bayless (salaries close to 8 mil). They get a veteran SF and we get even younger and get a sharp shooting SG.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

lol. i didnt start the thread dude.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Battier,Brooks,Cook and Barry for Outlaw, Flopzilla and Bayless or Fernandez would make me one happy camper! We get our center(flopper or no), athletic 3/4 and point guard we can grow with or a sharpshooting slasher we need. Portland gets its point guard, wing defernder, and about 6 million in cap room next summer and they will need it!

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I wasn't ragging on you. The thread just makes me laugh. And it was easier to quote your short message than the OP's.

8. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

No to Brooks in that deal.....explore other options first

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Who would we be giving up besides Landry and Battier, if its Brooks than i would want them to include Joel Przybilla
    it would look like this
    Landry
    Battier
    Brooks
    for
    Rudy(or Jerryd Bayless)
    Travis (or Jarryd Bayless)
    Pryzbilla

I would still hate to see Battier go... :(
    [​IMG]

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i figured as much. i'm sure they will be merged soon.

11. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

oh my goodness... I think because I saw this thread subject 5 other places, then it must be a great idea. We need to call Portland...

Brilliant, I'll tell Daryl tonight when we have our regular phone call where we discuss what's going on...

Seriously, you don't think Daryl isn't smart enough to feel out every team and discuss everything and anything with the gm's?

But since you brought it up, I'm sure he'll call now.

12. Rocketsfan_RN

Rocketsfan_RN Member

yet another "MOREY please trade with Portland" thread :rolleyes:

13. 1individual

1individual Member

They would love aaron brooks, and shane battier would bring great leadership and defense. I say trade a.b. and battier (salaries of around 8 mil I believe) for fernandez, outlaw, and bayless (salaries close to 8 mil). They get a veteran SF and we get even younger and get a sharp shooting SG.

Funny, then who will be our PG? Brooks and Scola are probably the most valuable assets after Yao.

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

dude w

15. Ricksmith

Kyle lowry would be the starting PG. If you notice I included bayless, so he would be the back up. Context clues...

16. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Blazers are NOT going to trade Pryzbilla! He is part of that "win-now" mode.

But I think Brooks is a upgrade over what they have at PG and Battier would fill a need for them as a veteran defensive wing who has shown he can guard Kobe. I could see where that could get their attention.

17. Ricksmith

The only thing i'd be worried about is if we did get fernandez, outlaw, and bayless, who would be the heart of our defense? Ariza? Who would guard the best players on the opposite team?

18. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Uh, what? Just because they're desperate in using their cap space doesn't mean they are in "Win Now" mode. They're a young team with a bright future.

19. 1individual

1individual Member

A team with Lowry starting, Bayless coming off the bench, is a team i'd feel sorry for. Brooks is a huge asset. If he goes to Portland, they instantly become a threat. Their main weakness was at PG position.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Call Portland, then call Minnesota.

Portland wants our veteran guys, Minnesota wouldn't mind taking some of Portland's young talent - we'll take Rubio. I'm not sold on him but we're screwed anyway.