1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sporting News Radio Going to 1560

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pgabriel, Jun 26, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I love it when John "The General" McClain talks about how many movies he's been in, how many games he's covered, and how many athletes/celebs he's friends with.

His endless stories about life in the pressbox are all consuming to me.

2. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Raven: I imagine this is what Matt feels like every day having to co-host with Rich.

[​IMG]

There are some hosts that I may not listen to, which I still think are good, just not my style. (Palillo, Murphy) At least they have some redeeming qualities and I could see why people would listen to them. (more Palillo than Murphy, anyway)

But, I cannot fathom why anyone would listen to Rich willingly. I've tuned in on occasion lately, and it's only tolerable because Matt basically carries him the entire show. Matt w/ JFizzle a while back, Matt w/ Wexler, were both good combos, although due to the changes at 610 (namely, Granato and Lance leaving), that pairing could not continue, because their biggest asset at that point, was Matt, and they couldn't have him doing the night shift when either of the two other timeslots (morning/afternoon) were clearly a chance for a bigger draw.

Once 610 finally realizes that Lord needs to go, and pair up Matt with Wexler again, they may be able to stablize and start to thrive again.

Hell, send Lord to 790, even though he's a bafoon, he seemed to work well enough with Charlie. Maybe it was because Charlie wouldn't shut up long enough to let Rich spew his garbage over the air.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I suspect it was partly because Pallilo is older and his brain is like an encyclopedia, about just about everything. He knows sports, but he also knows pop culture, music, history, etc. So a lot of the things that I imagine Rich probably thinks he "contributes" on the 610 afternoon show that Matt can't simply because he wasn't really old enough to give a **** about classic rock bands Pallilo knew as well or better than Rich. So many times Rich tries to use the age card to trump whatever Matt is arguing. It's dumb, but it was something he couldn't do with Charlie. But that is all a guess. I never listened to sportsradio much when Pallilo was still with 610. In fact, I didn't take notice of the guy until he was leaving 610 just because so many people said that 610 were dumbasses for letting him go since he was so knowledgable.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I also love when the General. Cook County Texas was great.

:)

5. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Clanton, you're 10x better than Andre.

Your "Flashes" are too long, though. I don't know if anyone told you this, but when the CHiPs music starts, you're supposed to STOP talking. :)

For the record, I primarily listen to 610 in the morning and 790 in the afternoon. 1560 when a commercial is on.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I dont remember who it was but they sounded particularly annoyed and whiny or something that day. Much moreso that it usually seems, idk. Sorry if that was you ;)

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Maybe it was Spicoli.

8. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I kinda prefer 1560. The overnights on 610 are way better than 1560's though. I don't like the style of anything 790 offers so it is off of my radar. 97.5 is on the FM side so I strike that immediately. So that leaves it as choosing between 610 and 1560.

They are not like a drunken fratboy. They are more like drunken fratboys that grew up and decided to do radio. I like most of what they do.

610 is good as well. Marc's humor is top-notch if you like it dry. Clanton is great at talking and devilishly handsome on Channel 2. Rome is Rome. I go through stages where I cannot get enough of him and other stages where I never listen. I haven't listened for two years but may again someday.

Rich and Matt are the number one rated sports show in Houston. Matt is knowledgeable and usually talks about things I care about. And Rich? Well let's just say that he has never occupied a time slot that was not number 1 so there is something to that.

If I ever get the chance to be a program director I would try to build a station exactly like 1560. Personality driven sports and entertainment conversation. The hosts would need to be accessible at live events and all be friends. I would bring in a lot of behind the scenes people from outside of the radio business.

Oh - and this would be weird - but I would put a random show on late at night where the hosts drink beer and talk to ghost hunters and read scripts from movies and play guitar on the air.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Hey there, Chance...where do ya live?

10. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I live at 972...Hey wait a minute!

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Every time Chance makes a rare post these days, I swear in my head I hear that disembodied "Blue Light" voice that they use in that one ad when he mentions the his Jeep.

It must be a hot key, right? Like every time you or Frank pop on somebody should be hitting that thing.

12. MadMax

i love it. good stuff.

13. Fatty FatBastard

Still trying to figure out why I never got a recording of y'all bashing the hell out of me that one morning...

14. rocketabc

rocketabc Contributing Member

I'm blushing...

15. RocketClay

RocketClay Member

thats real funny chance...nice try. And yes, if there was 1 thing that I could correct about 1560, it would be the excessive college football talk during the sean and john show. Sean and John have way too much potential to be limited to just college football talk. Granted, that is their specialty, but I feel they would make great headway in the ratings if they diversified their topics. After all, we are talking about the 4th largest city in the nation with 4 professional sports franchises (astros, texans, rockets, and dynamo). surely there is something going on with any one of those teams. when i tune in to an afternoon show following the rome show, I want to hear about my local teams because even now, there is plenty going on. the astros are playing respectable ball. the rockets are trying to reload their roster. training camp is around the corner for the texans. the other day, I tuned in to sean and john and they were talking about rice football....seriously....with about 2 months left until the start of the college football season. i listen to matt and rich for the first hour and then at 3 pm, i tune in to mike taylor and jim bob in san antonio since that is where i live now and have for the last year. i manage to suffer through non-stop spurs and cowboys talk because mike taylor is pretty damn funny.

16. MadMax

there are 3 other sports radio stations here in houston. use the dial.

i'd rather keep listening to sean and john, personally.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

he likes sean and john, just wants them to talk less college football, if he doesn't like the comp why would he turn the dial

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Brad Davies on 610 with vandameer

19. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

New Nighttime signal news.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/08/kgow_yhe_game_1560.php

The Upstart Sports-Talk Station Is Making Some Strides
    By John Royal in Spaced City
    Wednesday, Aug. 5 2009 @ 6:58AM

We've been hearing this since 1560 The Game went on the air, but the time is finally coming.

Pending one last final approval from the FCC, come some time next month, the station should be broadcasting a booming 15,000-watt signal from Katy that will cover the entire city. The new signal will be coming along at just the right time for the station as 1560 has claimed Sporting News Radio from 610 and will be broadcasting Sporting News' late-night programming.

Increasing its signal strength has been a lengthy process for 1560. The station had to put in a request to the FCC. Then it did an engineering bandwidth and footprint study which was filed with the FCC. The FCC reviewed the study, then posted the review for public comment, which gave other license holders the opportunity to have a say -- for 1560, this was every radio station on the dial from 1460 to 1600 and within 1,000 miles of the proposed transmitter. It was found that the proposed signal would affect the signal of a station in Mexico which caused 1560 to slightly modify it's proposal, which then caused the process to start over.

Then came the construction permitting process, then the construction. Then there was field testing of the signal. Then the FCC reviews the field-testing results, there's more time for prospective complaints, then, if everything passes muster, the station can go with its new transmitter.

"It was a $1.8-million build out," 1560 program director Chance McClain said regarding the new signal. "In this bad economy...I like to think of it that we infused a couple of millions dollars back into the economy, particularly in Katy. It's amazing. It's massive -- nine 200-foot towers....It's an enormous undertaking to go from a little bitty 100-watt nighttime [signal] in Bellaire" to what the station is about to have.

"We are literally waiting for the FCC," McClain said. "We've already passed [all the tests], we're just waiting for the stamp."

Without the stronger signal, 1560 wouldn't be getting Sporting New Radio for overnight. "We wanted SNR from the very beginning," McClain said. "Eighteen months later, [SNR says] hey, maybe they do know what they're doing. And they see the trends, everybody can see how things are trending and you want to get on a rising ship, I guess."

And 1560 is the rising ship, especially during morning drive. While 610 has more overall listeners at a given point in the day, 1560 claims the greater number of listeners over a longer time period. This means more loyal listeners, and more loyal listeners makes the advertisers happy.

And while 97.5 FM seems to have found a spot as a national sports programmer, the other two sports stations in the city are in flux. Along with losing Sporting News, 610 has been losing talent, and 790 has been caught up in the Clear Channel layoff mix, losing employees and being stuck with Fox Sports Radio which now, at night, just repeats highlights from the daytime programming.

Along with Sporting News at night, 1560 is also adding Tim Brando's mid-morning Sporting News program, which will be heavy on college sports, starting on August 17, from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. (Sporting News overnight will not begin until September 14.) The morning show with John Granato and Lance Zierlein will move to 6 a.m.-10 a.m. Ken Hoffman and David Nuno's show will then air from 1 p.m.-3 p.m.. And John Harris and Sean Pendergast will have the afternoon shift from 3 p.m.-7 p.m..

As for other potential programming moves, to go along with the LSU football games 1560 already airs, the station is close to signing a contract to air the football games of a Big 12 school, and they are attempting to negotiate a deal with the Houston Aeros to air games this coming hockey season.

So as it finishes it second year of broadcasting, 1560 appears to be catching up ratings-wise, signal-wise, and programming-wise with the more established sports talk stations in the city. That in and of itself is kind of surprising seeing that 1560 is a locally-owned, independent station that has none of the corporate backing of the others.

And it's that fact of which McClain is proudest: "We're playing the same game on a level field with the big boys, and winning."

Just think of what's possible for the station if it is ever able to get that new signal up and running.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Is that a permanent pairing?