1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

610 - Yao may have removed boot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by verti89, Jun 30, 2009.

1. verti89

verti89 Member

Did not see this posted yet. On 610 Anna Megan (sp?) just said she has heard rumors around the Toyota Center that Yao may have removed his boot while in China.

If this is true I am putting him in the same box with TMac. The selfishness, me over team, box. I know the YOFs will say no he did it BECAUSE of the team, and BECAUSE he wants to be out there. That might be true but the bottom line is, if the doc says where the boot and you take it off, you are doing something selfish.

If this was true do you think it could qualify as breach of contract??

2. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

If it wasnt hurting him, and it didnt hurt to walk on, you cant really blame him for taking it off. I mean, you can blame him, but I would have done the same thing.

Next time, lets just put him in a drug induced coma for the whole summer.

3. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Breach of contract? What do you wanna do, drop Yao for one of the other flashy dominate centers in the league.....oh yeah, there arent any minus Howard. C'mon man.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

are you kidding? i'd kill for the rox to be out from under yao's contract right now. i don't care who the other centers are in the league...i'd love to have that money to spend elsewhere.

it won't happen because of this, though.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This boot was made for walking, and thats just what it'll do.

One of these days...

1 person likes this.
  6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Maybe he had an itch to scratch...

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The thought had occurred to me and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he did. He was feeling no pain, so why would he wear it? He fully expected the x-rays to show he had healed.

No way you get out of his contract for it though. The players' union would be all over that. I don't think I want to get out of it anyway, since I still expect Yao's foot to heal and for him to play some more.

I think this is good news, actually, if it is true. If his injury got worse inside a boot, that would mean bad things about his ability to heal. If it got worse because he walked on it too early, then maybe his foot can heal without doing anything drastic.

8. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

Jason Friedman gonna be on 790 at 11:35

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot?

Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, that's a dumb question... skip that.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You won't even with his contract removed. The Rocket are way over the cap now, and even with Yao's $16 million removed, they still won't be able to pay a free agent (other than their own) more than essentially the MLE.

And if insurance is paying 80% of his salary because he's out a year, it's essentially not even costing all Les Alexander all that much money, so it's not even a matter of Les having a finite amount of money to be spent on Rockets.

May make a difference for the 2010-2011 season, but if Yao's foot is still bad at that point, we may be talking about medical retirement, and the salary point would be moot.

In any case, I don't see any benefit to trying to rescind the contract. Hell, even the Bulls tread carefully with Jason Williams when he had his idiotic accident. It's not worth looking bad among players (i.e. potential future signees), particularly we are not talking about realistic cap room being created for the Rockets and Yao likely still be able to contribute in the future.

By the way, if this report is true, it's probably actually good news-- at least we have a possible cause for the bone not healing other than "Yao's foot is doomed."

Ugh... Is it just me or is this looking more and more like an episode of "House"?

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yeah, but if you can opt out of Yao's contract, concede the season, and allow Tracy's contract to expire then you'll have money to spend in 2010. But I'm not sure why a starless Houston team would be attractive to marquis free agents then.

12. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

A rumor around Toyota Center could mean she heard it from the trainers and team doctors or she could have heard it from one of the janitors while taking a dump. From the accuracy of recent reports, I would bet on the latter.

13. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I agree with the house episode comparison, but i thought both yao & Tmac have Max contracts then why is tmac making more money per year than yao?

yao= 16 million vs t-mac=23 million :confused:

14. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

This kind of accusation has totally no ground. Yao wore the boot in his activities while he was in China. Pictures could prove that.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You seriously don't know? Go back and watch some more House.

16. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

i think yall missed something in the op
    the source is anna megan riley, really?

17. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Without Yao and TMAC, we may be starless, but certainly not trash.

18. verti89

verti89 Member

I MIGHT do it, but I am not an NBA player whose entire income is reliant on being able to play. Nor am I an NBA player with a history of leg and foot injuries. He is paid, and not just by us, to be a basketball player and to do what the team tells him to do when it comes to basketball. To me that means doing what the docs tell him to do. That means by not doing this he is being irresponsible or selfish or something. If I break my foot and decide to take the boot off early so i end up forcing surgery...it hurts me and my wallet. If Yao does it, it paralyzes a franchise and does a good bit of damage to his beloved china as well. So comparign us to him is just ridiculous.

I know we would never get away with the breach of contract thing but I personally would love to get out of it. Yao is a hard worker, maybe too hard, but the bottom line is the risk IS NOT worth the reward, and because of that the sooner we can get out of our commitment the better.

BTW thanks for the 1 star...

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Tracy has been in the league longer. 12 years vs. 7 years.

20. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper Member

This...