1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Yao!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texxx, Jun 25, 2009.

1. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Well, by the "no championship" in 6-7 years standard, please also trade every star who didn't play for LA, SA, Boston, or Miami in this timeframe because they are also "utter failures".

2. TimBly15

TimBly15 Member

He's a big reason we can make some offseason moves. $$

3. jteg25

jteg25 Member

totally agree!! btw dont forget the "brooks or lowry as a starter" thread. but this will be the one and only time i comment on these trade yao ones...

yao is like the hot girl you've been dating for a while who likes to drink too much, at first it was cool and even kinda cute, but after a while your just setting yourself up for heartache b/c she cant stop hitting on your boys. yao is the hot chick (not literally) and his foot is the bottle. when is it time to cut the cord?

4. aceman

aceman Contributing Member

I love Yao, his game, his demeanor, and I hate how NBA rules have changed the center position. But, the only reason Yao is untouchable is because he's Chinese and the NBA is a business. Money first, championships second. If Yao wasn't from the largest market in the world, the Rockets would be stupid not to entertain trade offers for him.

5. sew

sew Member

LOL.. your the dumbest mf'er around if you seriously don't believe Yao is a cash cow.

6. redao

redao Member

I think there are not many.

LeBron James, Dirk, Melo, who else?

7. Texxx

Texxx Member

It will be interesting seeing how many of these funny guys in here change their tune in a year or so when Yao's on the sidelines half the season again, and putting up those 12 point performances in games in the playoffs that is IF he's even playing.

These were the same guys that were talking all of that garbage about Tmac last season before he went down when many of us talked about how heartless he was and how we didn't need him either and yet we had our best season of the decade without him. It was proven that Tmac was over rated as far as the success of this team went. And it was proven that Yao wasn't needed in the post season when we won those two games without him.

I'd like one of these wise asses in here to muster up a reasonable argument as to why Yao Ming is important to this team other than "Our owner makes money off of him!" I didn't know that the purpose of a fan was to root for your owner's pocket book to increase instead of winning a championship. That's a new one for me I guess.

I'd seriously like to hear a reasonable argument as to why we should be trading guys like Brooks and Landry who are young players with a lot of potential instead of an old 7'6 guy whose best years are behind him that's been hurt for the last 3 seasons and is currently hurt right now.

Brooks and Artest took this team farther than Tmac and Yao ever have as the team go to guys. Yao isn't an important piece to this team. You guys are blinded by his 7'6 stature and refuse to realize that he's nothing but Rick Smits 2.0.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

:cool:

9. Texxx

Texxx Member

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Do you not know anything about the Rockets history? Les has always been active in making moves. You think we need Yao to make moves? Wow. Talk about stupid.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

Putting emotions aside, and facing stone cold reality, I agree wholeheartedly. I love Yao as a person and player, but his lack of durability is a huge issue. I would definitely listen to proposals, at least. Furthermore, I would not offer a max extension. Not prudent. Yao's shelf life is on the short side. Yao will not be kicking around the court at 35, maybe even earlier.

11. Texxx

Texxx Member

So what if he's a cash cow. Are you aware that the NBA has a salary cap? This isn't the MLB where you can go Steinbrenner on the rest of the teams and BUY a championship. Lol!

Answer the question at how this "alleged money" that Yao brings is creating a championship calibur team when yao can't even stay healthy.

If you want to root for Les's pocket book, then go apply to be his assistant and work for the guy.

This consensus that the Rockets make all of this money because of Yao is so freaking weak and sad that Rockets fans have to use that as a crutch to use as to why Yao is important. Les making some extra cash in China isn't making D Wade want to come here, it's not making Lebron want to come here either.

This revenue that you guys are so dumb to use as the reason why we should keep Yao is about the silliest thing I've ever heard. Either he's a great player or he isn't. Either he can stay healthy or he can't. I think we know the answers to those questions at this point.

He's the most over rated Houston Rocket of all time.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

13. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Once again, if you are trading Yao, what would you want in return???

ME--I DON'T WANT TO TRADE YAO!!, but if the Rockets did, then I'd want A LOT in return!!!!!!

14. MD_in_Training

Guys, give the kid a break. He just joined back in February, and apparently born then too.

15. sew

sew Member

buddy... You were the one who wanted all the "factual evidence" proving that Yao makes money. All I was pointing out was that if you need actual evidence to believe that Yao makes a **** ton of money for Les, then you are dumb and naive.

I never once mentioned anything in regards to whether or not trading Yao would be a good move or not. In fact, I'm on the fence.

16. jwayne

jwayne Member

Im gonna tell some what I am tired of, Im tired of people getting down on athletes in general because of injury. Look, it is not a person's fault if they happen to be on the bad side of luck. I was fortunate enough to go to college on a full football scholarship and you know what? I had 4 left knee operation, a left shoulder operation, a 3rd degree tear of my right hamstring and numerous other injuries. I was able to play 1 year of 5 and was only suited up for 2 of those seasons in full. One of which I played with a torn rotator cuff which required the major shoulder operation. I didnt like it, I love playing ball and played my heart out when I could... My point here is because Yao has injury problems, even McGrady for that matter, it doesnt mean they suck and are terrible. Can you really look at Yao's short career and say he hasnt been very productive on the court? ... Nope you cant... He has been the best Center in the league, period, end of story. Barkley never won a championship but that doesnt diminish the fact he was a great PF, Dan Marino, he never won a super bowl but in my personal opinion, he was the best pure QB to ever suit up... So, yeah, call me a homer, I am... I root for Houston teams through thick and through thin... I even gave up multiple scholarship offers to accept one to my beloved University of Houston because that is where my heart was and is... Say what ya want about Yao Ming, every team in the league would absolutely jump through hoops to try and get him... what does that mean? He's good... REAL GOOD!

17. Texxx

Texxx Member

I don't know, but Yao is the only guy on our team that has any real trade value that could give this team some real players to work with for the future. Yao's trade value will not be the same next year either when he goes down for the 4th straight season. Right now we could probably get a pretty nice player or two and possibly a pick for Yao to build for the future and be a very competitive team next year if we resign Artest.

Right now we're dangling these younger guys like Brooks and Landry who both came up big in the post season in only their 2nd season. Why get rid of them, when we have an older 7'6 guy whose best years are behind him who holds more trade value and is going to be hurt from this point on????? It makes the most sense to get rid of the more volatile player that isn't a closer any way.

If we put Yao out there on the block there would be probably quite a few trade opportunities to explore actually.

I'm so sick of trying to count on Yao as this guy in a BIG 3 situation or whatever. He can't be counted on. He isn't reliable. Every time he has a huge game, he always backs it up with two or three sorry games where he has like 12 points and 8 rebounds and some can defends him well or they just double him up and he's useless and can't catch any passes thrown to him.

18. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

+ Rep for you. Very good post and I agree with all your points.

19. RyanB

RyanB Member

you're right
    Yao is stiff and slow
    Houston without him is much faster and the ball turns well
    another problem with Yao, is that he cannot get out of the fronting or double team defense.
    Duncan, Howard,Gasol know how to deal with that
    If a trade was possible i'd take Duncan or Gasol because of their athleticism and efficiency on both ends of the floor.
    But as everybody said, it's business, and Les Alex won't let him go cause he is the reason why he gets millions of bucks!!
    we all wanna see houston winning a champ and we all fell frustrated when we see Yao's injuries and failures.
    But, if we have to trade Yao without getting in return a better center and great finisher, that will be a big loss for us.
    So be patient!

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

you know nothing about business.