1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] Confederations Cup 2009 - South Africa

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by halfbreed, Jun 14, 2009.

1. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

congrats to the US Mens National team! Well deserved win against the pharoahs; now lets see how the fair against a primed Spanish team.

Back to Brasil; this team is starting to grow on me. They showed the ability to completely control the match for an entire 90 minutes. Stayed aggresive and passed the ball very well. We still seem to be lacking a playmaker no the attack (Robinho needs to be that guy)

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There's definitely something missing from Brazil. I can't quite put my finger on it. I actually think there might be too many playmakers on the field at once. Too many want to do too much. They need a Dunga type player to just take care of the dirty work. Sometimes, they just look bored. They need something or someone to light a fire under their ass if they want to win another Cup. There are enough great teams out there that will end Brazil's Cup early if they choose to play nonchalantly again in 2010.

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Diego?

4. ferrari77

That should be Felipe Melo's job. He's been pretty good this tourney and I think will grow into the role.

5. ferrari77

Yeah right halfbreed, you really think Bradley Sr will play Adu in the semi's when he refused to bring the kid in as a sub in any of the prior matches. Just bugs me to no end!

I hear you though because I believe he(adu) actually made Eddie Johnson look like a decent striker in the Spain match last year but I think we can conclude that Freddy and Jose Torres are in South Africa for a vacation and they should go on a safari or something else for the 90 mins team USA is playing cos they ain't stepping on the pitch. (Maybe incase of an injury but even then...)

Sad to say but I think it's true.

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I don't agree with this at all. He played a great first half, and I truly believe the result would have been different had Clark not been given the bogus red card. It's too much to ask to play 60 minutes with only 10 men against a team like Italy.

7. Convictedstupid

Damn, I couldnt watch the game because I was hanging out with my dad but holy crap this is nuts! I cant believe we advanced!

Good day.

8. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Swoly faints!

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Haha, I had no idea about Giuseppe Rossi...

USSF should be ashamed of themselves for letting him go.

10. leroy

He left when he was 13. I don't think that can be blamed on US Soccer. The kid is good enough to play for Italy. His choice isn't anyone's fault.

11. ferrari77

I absolutely agree w/ u. Only thing that irks me about the situation was Bruce Arenas arrogance and attitude on the whole thing.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

NOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

I missed it completely, my youngest was in Tball sectionals....we won so we advance to regionals...and forgot to record it.

Will it be replayed?

DANG IT !!

DD

13. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

You can replay it on espn360 if its available to you.

14. leroy

Teeball has playoffs?

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oh yeah baby.....they do.......big fun.....in the hot sun.

DD

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek:

Didn't watch either game. Apparently Michael had a good Father's Day Present for Bob.

No, leroy420, this one was earned with Egypt giving up from the get go, injuries, and hard-fought loose balls by the U.S and A. Go look at my suggestions for the lineup change... check out posts 71 and 66 . :eek:

Also, notice what difference passing it efficiently in the box makes for Bradley-Donovan. Thank you for playing much better in the midfield, not committing silly fouls, and not giving up the ball in dangerous territory.

I correctly predicted Egypt beating Italy, and correctly predicted Davies making a difference.

Yes, plcmts17, I faint. Pray against Spain, but don't count the U.S.A. out of it... if Davies starts again, and you finish with 11 on the field AGAIN and you actually score on the run, you will have a better chance. But just because it's my mother country, I will not root against the U.S.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

oh man pretty epic comeback to make it past the 1st round. probably stops at spain. funny as hell though you gotta admit :p

18. RocketFan007

Great quote from Michael Bradley:

19. leroy

Yeah, I saw his little rant. Sorry, Mikey. One game doesn't mean s***. How about the last 5? Where was this fire and heart against Italy and Brazil? What about against Honduras and Costa Rica? It hasn't been there in months. Hopefully this carries over to Wednesday.

20. RocketFan007

Did you even watch the Italy match? We outplayed them for 55 minutes, even being a man down. I honestly believe we get a result if Clark doesn't get a bogus red card. The Brazil match is a different story, we played horribly, but at the same time, their early goal should have never even happened had they not been awarded a free kick for falling over without contact.