1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Miles Simon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Miles Simon has been in Houston a lot, and is working out every day at Westside. I would not be surprised to see him get a strong look by the Rockets at backup 2-guard. There is speculation Oscar Torres will be competing with him. I'm not 100% on this though (though it is a legitimate tip), which is why I'm posting it here. There are a lot of other interesting things coming out of Westside, but I'm trying to get confirmation (and clearance :)) on those things.

Simon is a 6-foot-4 guard and has been in the CBA (not Yao's CBA :)) and was the newcomer of the year, MVP of the regular season and MVP of the playoffs last season, averaging just over 23 points a game (46% from long range) for the Dakota Wizards.

Most probably remember Simon from the 1997 Arizona championship squad ... he scored 30 points in the championship game for the Wildcats against Kentucky and was the Final Four MVP. A lot of mock drafts in 1998 had the Rockets using one of their first round picks on him (then again <B>every</B> mock had the Rockets drafting Rashard Lewis), but he slid to #42 to the Magic. Only played a little bit there and has bounced around Europe (putting up good numbers), then had his big CBA season.

http://www.cbahoopsonline.com/news/news.php?story=224&team=dak
    http://www.cbahoopsonline.com/news/news.php?story=256&team=dak

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is Oscar Torres back in [brazil?] South America
    How is he looking these days
    he had flashes but. . . .

anything about the Rocket's Idea of him

Rocket River

3. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

#3 Sonny, Jun 13, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2002
  4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Miles Simon and Mike Bibby won the national championship if I remember correctly. He was a baller in college, but not NBA material, much like Ed O'Bannon. Don't know how much he would help, but he's worth a look as a FA who would play for the minimum. Let's bring him into camp and see what he could do.

Another guy we should look at is Larry Robinson, of the 1994 Championship team. Can he still play?

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Simon says ... Loser.

6. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

if Miles could give us 25% of what his boy from Arizona Mike Bibby did this year then we should give him a spot on the roster

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

If Simon is 6'4", then Bibby is about 5'11" or so.

Unless Simon had his stilletto heels on again.

:D

I loved watching simon penetrate at will against the competition in the tourney that year. That was a fun team to watch, guard oriented, high octane offense.

Edgerson, Bramlett, Dickerson, Bibby and Simon.....good team.

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>Is Oscar Torres back in [brazil?] South America </i>

He's from Venezuela.

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember thinking we were going to draft him at 41 when he was there so we'd have the Dickerson-Simon Arizona championship connection going, then we drafted that Cattino guy or something...who knew?

Thanks Clutch.

Miles Simon Draft Profile

Pretty wide range of opinions, from "lottery" to "overrated".

#9 NIKEstrad, Jun 13, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2002
  10. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be a riddle (even though Clutch doesn't go that route) ;)

There's no harm in giving Simon a look, but even in college you could tell that he was a great college player without the oomph necessary to make it in the NBA. Maybe he's turned his game up a notch, but I'm not holding my breath.

But this does remind me of the good old days when we seemed to find a CBA gem every other month.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Forget this Miles Simon guy, what are the interesting thangs goings-ons at Westside? :eek:

Get your clearance, O Clutch, and post it, post it!

(deep breath, push away from the keyboard, reach for the Tylenol...)

12. mfclark

mfclark Member

Miles SImon....one of the Magic's better 2nd round draft picks - and that's not saying much.

He's got skills to be a decent backup on the bench (i.e. 10th-12th man) in the NBA, but is probably better suited to the CBA, a place where he can excel.

He has some skills, though is a streaky shooter and a tweener in his height. He's listed as 6'5" in that profile NIKEstrad posted, although he's really closer to 6'3" or 6'4". He's not tall enough to play SF and not quick enough to stay with defenders on the other end at SG.

If I could think of a current NBA comparison, it'd be Trajon Langdon. Langdom suckered the Cavs into drafting him high through some good workouts, while Simon fell with bad workouts. Both players are of about equal talent and have similar games - bench role players who you definately don't want starting, but can provide a few minutes of rest per game for the starters and contribute when they get hot.

He doesn't have much upside, but can eat minutes. I'd rather have Torres - a player with less seasoning but more upside (and probably talent), but Simon isn't horrible. I definately wouldn't expect much from him, but he can stick in the NBA and with the Rockets. He's the type of player every team has - a low-salaried "veteran" at the swing spots who can be a fair reserve.

But then again, I wouldn't be surprised if he was cut 20 games into the year, either, if signed by an NBA team. He could very well bounce from team to team like many of those types of players I just described in the last paragraph. But, he's worth a chance.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think in many ways, his strengths and weaknesses are very comprable to those of Mobley, though clearly he's not in the same class (primarily, I think, because he doesn't have that same quickness, and is a little bit smaller.)

14. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Can he shoot?

15. DanL

DanL Member

2 years ago Miles Simoe signed in Maccabi Ra'anana, here in Israel.
    and he was horrible !
    they gave him big money and was suppose to carry them and he failed big time, one of the worst foreigner players in the league in that season.
    also, he signmed as a bosman player since he had a Czech passport.
    later in the season they found out it was kind of illegal pasport, and this dude never even been in the Czech republic, so they deported him....
    big money, big lies, zero performance
    Houston can find better players

Dan Lederman

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Miles Simon

Classic case of a good college player that has not (and may never) make it in the NBA.

I wonder if Miles has heard of Michael Young?

17. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch. Hope you get the clearance soon.

18. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Clutch-
    I have given you the clearance to enlighten the poor folks at this site. Go on bad boy.

19. Holden

Holden Member

i always thought Simon would turn out to be a better pro than bibby. i was surprised when he was drafted so late.
    man, anyone who scores 30 in the championship game has to have a little something to their game. its all about giving him the playing time.
    but what the hell do i know.
    :(

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I can't lie, I thought he was the best player on the Arizona club. He basically carried them and made every big shot on the way to the finals. He still had a good sr yr, but I don't know what happened. I thought he handled the ball well enough and was deceptive enough to play point at Orlando. I still think he's more of a pg than sg. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, but at 26, he still has time, look at mcinnis.