1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] Confederations Cup 2009 - South Africa

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by halfbreed, Jun 14, 2009.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Damn it. Could be 3-2 right now. At least Dempsey finally woke up.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Oh, I don't know about "suck"... we... ok, yes, we do. More power to you, Mr. radapharoah, then. Your country is on top of the football world... against the U.S. ... :eek: where were you during the Egypt game?

Crossbar denying the U.S. :( It has to come down to that and... still no Davis in the game. When will Bradley learn?

3. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

miss ronaldinho in his younger days taking those freekicks :(

best i've ever seen...

Then i went to the shotout held at reliant and ronni disgraced himself...

4. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

at work; i called in sick today... Brasil does not show up to play everyday....you should now this; cause everytime we play Mexico we letup and you guys start to puff out your chest... We play when it matters....

Look at the 1994 & 2002 teams, they qualified for the WC on their last game and then went on to win it all both times.

5. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

oh and since we are on the Brasil topic....I cant wait until the end of the Dunga era...really bad idea in my opinion

6. leroy

Bradley had a very nice start, but he seems to be getting more and more in over his head. His player choices, lineups and substitutions are questionable at best. How does Demarcus Beasley continue to get called in? Why do players like Stuart Holden, Freddy Adu, etc., etc. continue to not get chances? Seeing Bradley and Feilhaber and Dempsey and Kleijsten constantly give up the ball in the middle of the field is maddening.

Right this moment, I would not be opposed to a mid-cycle coaching change. I know it's a big risk and I know the coach can only take you so far, but something has to be done. If we're looking inside the USA, I think there is only one choice right now...Dominic Kinnear. He seems to be able to take what is given to him and make it into a winner. The Dynamo are constantly trading for what other teams view as end of the bench players and they're becoming contributors to the best team in the MLS. Outside of the US, I'm not sure who you go with. Klinnsman had a bad run with Bayern, but he might still bring a fresh prospective. I really don't know who else is out there that would be interested.

I might be overreacting right now. But the play of late has not made me exactly upbeat. Now is the time to make a change if it were to be done. You have another month before Mexico and the last few games of qualifying.

7. SwoLy-D

So I was wrong about the score. :eek: I'm sorry I lied.

You don't need a new coach. NEWSFLASH: US isn't Mexico. ;)

So... what about Landon Donovan's drought? Doesn't he need more help in the middle? Maybe start Torres? The conversation from the commentators about Landon during the 2nd half was rather a fun one for me to hear... after I've been telling you all that all these PKs and set pieces scores are BS... it went something like this *not verbatim* :
    commentator 1: "Landon Donovan... now with 40 scores as leader for the US... with another PK... this time against Italy... with the longest streak since 4 in-a-row scores in the Gold Cup... "
    commentator 2: "It seems like 80% of his scores have been PKs..."
    c 1: [chuckle] " :D "
    c 2: "You'd think a young player like him should be having more scores in the open field on the run instead of the charity mark... "
    c 3: "Seems he's only scoring from there... i wish he'd get more help..."

It went something like that. :eek: I'm not the only one noticing this.

8. leroy

Good for you. :rolleyes:

Of course he needs more help. Klejstan had a nice run of games about 6 months ago, but has been crap since. Bradley is a good player, but not great at being a holding mid. Feilhaber has no 1st touch. Dempsey comes and goes. I'd love to see Torres get more time. I'd love to see Adu get more time. I'd love to see Stuart Holden get a chance. This is my problem with B. Bradley. He's not thinking about the total 11. He's only thinking about position by position. Adu and Altidore make an amazing combination. Bornstein and Beasley on the same side of the field? That's almost as bad as the Wynne/Beasley combo in the Costa Rica game. The team is in desperate need of better quality from the left side. I'm not sure where it's going to come from. I do honestly believe there is better quality in the center, but Bob isn't using it for some odd reason.

9. Mattj

Mattj Member

America has not gotten better, Mexico just got a crapload worse elevating Team USA to the #1 slot in a bad region. Keep playing crappy players like Demarcus Beasley and dudes names Sasha and that's what you get, a complete and total ass kicking by a 2nd rate Brazil. The man marking in this tourney has been atrocious. Tim Howard is a legit world class player. Landon Donovan, Brian Ching, and Michael Bradley are serviceable. The rest of this team shows me nothing. I'm so tired of hearing about how great Gooch is and the outside backs currently make Jeff Agoos look like Cafu in his prime.
    What the hell does Tico Torres have to do to get on the pitch? He should have just played for Mexico.
    Someone better wake the *&%$ up or the return trip to South Africa is going to be equally embarrasing next summer. It blows my mind that a country with half a billion people can't find 11 dudes that can kick the ball around properly. Mexico must be worse than I though to be in 4th place behind this rif-raf. There I feel better.

1 person likes this.
  10. SwoLy-D

Yes. We suck so bad. OMG, we're bad. Mexico just sucks so bad. Look at us, football being the #1 sport in our country, can't beat the U.S.... oh, no! [playing the violin] ;)

Speaking of "Gooch", does he EVER smile on the field? :D

Oh, why oh why, mister MattJ, can't the U.S. beat teams other than the ones in their own region? :confused: At least effin' score one on the run against Egypt... PLEASE.

11. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

That was awful to watch today

12. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

would love to see Domanic as the US team coach....

We really aren't competative against elite international squads...

Thank goodness we are still much, much, much better than Mexico..would be embarassing if we lost on our "home" soil. Even if the crowd is 85 percent Mexican.

13. SwoLy-D

:D Ha. I love it...
    :confused: HUH?

1 person likes this.
  14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

You seem to be forgetting a certain Juninho Pernambucano. Up there with Sinisa Mijhailovic as the best fk takers of the past two decades.

15. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Aw C'mon Swoly..even you must admit bad as we are we are still much better than what passes for the Mexican National team...

16. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Couldnt say it better myself.

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The only way you could annoy me more is if you setup a mac/pc flame war.

If you hate the US soo much, if your country is sooo much better, why are you wasting time with us? I mean, if Mexico is really king in football, I got an idea, stop being a Rockets fan, live breathe and eat mexican futbol. What I love is that any comparison between USA and Mexico in this thread, heck in the hangout forum has been initiated by you. You are Mexico's one man press junkit to all us clutchfans. Personally, I'm not about to come out and say USA is the best at everything in every competition, but I always root for the country I love. Not only do you root for Mexico, you take it upon yourself to inject how much better they are than we are whenever you get the chance. This is starting to detract from a discussion about the confederations cup, and evolving into a debate about who is better Mexico or US. This is not hangout discussion, heck, put it in the politics folder. I mean I feel like you sound like Palin when she took it on herself not only take David Letterman's apology, but to push her own agenda as well. You wanna poke at the US's flaws, go to town, but apparently that isn't enough for you, whatever..

Looking at only the US, and ONLY the US: we do not have that dynamic player you rotate your team around. Essentially look at a player like DRo in MLS. Not only he commanded the middle, he could set up plays and score at will. Thats why the dymano were soo dominant. The dynamo now have Holden in his place and it isn't as good, but it's still successful because of their defense. Bradley is asking Donovan to take that position, but Donovan is a very AVERAGE player. The entire squad is a team of role players. The talent is there, but the issue is the roles are not solidified, the team is not a real team, and we do not have that dynamic player. Our strongest talent is usually on the defensive end, but defense can only take you soo far. I think Adu could evolve into this kind of role, but until we get a player, hell, a person willing to take that position it wont work. Case in point: look at Joesy Altidore. The man is raw talent, and yet no one on the team knows how to thread the ball to him. He doesn't fit, but it isn't his fault. I'm telling you, if Bradley calls up Holden some magic will happen. We need a playmaker. Donovan works hard, but he isn't the ticket...

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Couldnt say it any better.

CONCACAF is such a disaster

19. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I think Donovan could be that player, but the team isn't built around him, it's built around Michael Bradley. The midfield selection is based upon who can fit into the midfield with Michael instead of how can he fit into our midfield. If you look at how Bradley has used Donovan over the past year it's very inconsistent, he's been used as a forward, left mid, right mid, and sometimes a central mid. On the one hand it's good that he's versatile and can play where he's needed, but at this point he should be the one that the midfield is built around.

20. danny317

danny317 Member

i wish feilhaber or torres would get more pt over bradley.

i dont understand why bradley sr thinks bradley jr is better than our other options. everytime i see him play, i wanna pull my hair out.