1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Memphis] Rockets have inquired about 2nd pick.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FishBulb913, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Post flagged for followup

2. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

DeMar's 3pt shot and FT% will only improve later with a little more practice and it shouldn't be hard for him cause he has a great mid-range game. Not to mention, he one avg. about ONE 3 a game in college. He attacks the basket rather than settle for threes, kinda like D-wade; he doesn't have a good 3pt%.

3. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I predict the Rockets send Grizzlies Tmac + Brooks for either Darko + #2 pick or Marc Gasol + #2 pick.

Grizzlies is probably the only team that can absorb a huge contract from Tmac and he come off the book next year and they save millions. Rockets did this because they want Rubio to run the PG that Aaron can't or don't know how. And plus this allow them to have enough $$ to sign Artest and Wafer.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I predict this will NOT happen. Memphis has no reason to take on payroll and has every incentive to drop payroll even more if possible.

5. Seth

Seth Member

The grizz are in real need of a strong PF, i think our best bet would be to offer Scola but i think the Grizz now they are screwed, they have no legitimate C to put along Scola (all of their white centers won´t make up for scola lack of athletism) so they might end up just taking rubio, showcasing him, and trading for a PF when the time comes.

That´s what i would do if i were them.

I would only trade away that 2nd pick for a solid PF that could contribute right away. What are the chances they could get Boozer? if i had the chance, i´d go for boozer and keep Rubio.

The bacourt of Rubio and Mayo would be great and Boozer and Marc Gasol make a fine frontcourt along with Gay.

I don´t see the Grizzlies trading that 2nd pick or drafting anyone not named Rubio.

6. pogs_are_for_pu

I really think the player Morey is going after is James Harden. Granted the odds of him actually getting Harden are low, but I feel like he is the perfect player for the Rockets and that he is generally undervalued at this stage of the draft process. I think there are several reasons why the Rockets would/should go after James Harden.

1) Harden was bad in the NCAA Tournament and is now considerrf a late top ten pick, However before the tourney he was considered a lock to go top 5. 2 Bad games really cost him. Looking at the teams picking outside the top 4
    I can see virtually any of them trading out of the lottery for the right price.

2) Look at his stats and you will see why he might be a guy Morey would like. 20 PPg, over 5 REBS, over 4 assists, over 2 steals, career 50% fg shooter. And he did all of this without dominating the ball and while playing in a tough league.

3) He was a true sophmore so still young. Also has legit SG size at 6-5 and 200+ pounds with long wingspan. Check out draftexpress and you will find that he is one of the biggest two guards in the class.

4) Fits perfectly with what the Rockets need at SG.

The rockets have

Brooks/Lowry at the 1.
    Artest/Battier/Wafer at the 2/3
    Scola/Landry at the 4
    Yao+ token backup/ at the 5

Seeing that depth chart the Rockets need either a backup C, or a perimiter 2/3 guy who can play with the ball in his hands. They aren't going draft Thabeet to be a backup for 5 years so Harden is the logical choice i would assume since he also has the size to play a little bit of SF, where as Curry, Holiday, and Evans are all more PG/SG combo players. With Lowry and Brooks the Rockets dont need a 2 guard who can play point.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

the grizz are loaded with centers, they have gasol, haddadi and darko, plus i think they can re-sign mihm. They are not screwed at all. As for PF, they have arthur as a smaller , quicker PF and they can switch off gasol and darko at the 4 as well for a bigger PF look. they probably prefer to get a deeper bench or even trade conley for a better point, they seem to really worry about that spot.

8. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

^If we somehow get Harden or even DeMar, that means Von Wafer will probably not be resigned. We don't need Harden, Wafer and White.

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I don't think this happens. I'm betting Memphis can get better offers than what the Rockets have thrown at them. Realisticly, I see us landing a late 1st or early 2nd. I'd be ecstatic if Morey could land a mid 1st pick.

10. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

People who would want Darko's r****ded ass on the team should be banish from the site. I wouldn't want him even if all our bigs got injuried and we had to run Artest at center and Battier at PF. nuff said.

11. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

^fixed :D

12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Sign me up for Gasol and the #2 pick. That would be sweet. Gasol would be great behind Yao and is still improving.

13. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

haha nicely done :D

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Let's hope he at least gets a late first or early second rounder. I don't have the same anxiousness as I usually do around this time due to the uncertainty.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The trade makes no sense. Memphis doesn't need the cap relief.

16. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

i know there are 35 pages of this thread, but this is 35 pages of waste. this is not realistic, memphis has no reason to trade with houston

17. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

I think it's more about Memphis not looking forward to paying all of these young studs they have in a couple of years AND adding another lotto pick to the mix this year.

They'd have to pay Gay in 2010-11, Marc Gasol and Conley the year after and OJ Mayo after that. Add Arthur to that list if he keeps improving his game and the Griz could be in a world of hurt if they keep all of those guys.

It has to blow that they keep getting these lotto picks but aren't seeing the results. Having to pay them for sucking blows even more :D

legend215

#697 legend215, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

They also had no reason to give up Gasol for nothing....
    They also had no reason to trade Lowry for a late first rounder...

Rubio is far and away the second best talent in the draft, and he has strongly hinted at wanting to avoid Memphis. The Grizzlies have every reason to move this pick, and Houston is as likely a destination as any, especially considering the apparent preffered trading partner relationship we have with them already.

19. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

#699 jVgOwnsYou, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well then, i'll just Agree with Kobe and Chris Paul ;)

Jennings is seemingly bragging about a 10 pt 2 ast game in which his team lost...

Also if you wanted to go by matchups, again...Thabeet has had problems in college against skilled big men, and stronger ones. How is Thabeet going to do against the Likes of Any Gasol, Dirk, Duncan, Chandler, West, Bynum, Nene, Pryzbilla, Boozer, Okur, Shaq, Amare, and Al Jefferson? That's only the west. All those guys play big minutes, are about as tall as Thabeet AND stronger than him...also more skilled. That's why I don't see how he can help us instantly. He's just going to be in foul trouble for most of the games.