1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 10th on the list of all time Franchise

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BackNthDay, Jun 11, 2009.

1. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

the point system is ridiculously flawed when he's giving swings of +/- 200 based on "intangibles" - that's a self-defeating thing to be awarding "intangibles" when the goal of a point system is to quantify things in the first place

2. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

thanks for attacking the point system. i agree with you on this, it does defeat the purpose. however, he doesnt do it for that many teams, and also, when you divide it over like 60 seasons for the teams it applies to, it doesnt make that much of a difference. for examples, the lakers, bulls, and celtics got intangibles, but they would have been high up anyways because of championships.

now, the pistons got SCREWED on there. -150 for the brawl? thats dumb.

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

considering that even averaged over 50 years, a 100 point bonus/malus is 2 points per season, it's not negligible. a lot of the lower-ranked teams are within 1 or 2 points of each other.

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The real list should be

1) Celtics
    2) Lakers
    3) Bulls
    4) Spurs
    5) Pistons
    6) Rockets
    7) Sixers
    8) Knicks
    9) Warriors
    10) Blazers

5. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

well thats my point - the intangibles were given to the higher ranked teams. with the lower ranked teams where there is little difference there werent intangibles. intangibles were only applied in a few cases

6. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Shane Battier gave us +1000 intangible points.

I don't agree with this system either. He gives only 30 points for championships, yet intangibles are worth so much more. This is a just a way to give extra points to the lakers and celtics.

Relocation penalty? You gotta laugh at that.

7. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

are you going strictly by number of championships? because if you are, then there is no point to this whole exercise/article because anyone can look at the list of championships. for example, i think LAL is better than Bos. for one thing, boston won 11 of their championships in one era, and while it is amazing, they kind of beef up the resume. la has been consistently good in every decade and when they are not a legit contender, it is only for a few years. for example, la and boston both were awesome in the 80s. whereas boston was then irrelevant as a legit contender from early 90s to 2007, lakers had just a brief period from 92 to 96 where they werent serious contenders but still made the playoffs, then of course the shaq era where they were either winning rings or making the playoffs and giving it a decent run. then the 04-07 era where they were bad, but starting with the 07-08 season are right back to contenders. the celtics were bad/medicore for almost two decades while the lakers were not. LAL takes the cake.

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

i would've given a -100 to the spurs for being so boring to watch. i also don't think championships are weighted correctly; i think a single championship is worth a great deal more than 30 points. put it this way, 30 points is the difference between 5 years winning 6 more games/season. now would you rather have a single year where you win the championship and the following 5 years you win 6 less games a season, or would you rather just have what amounts to the mavs (great regular season, playoff chokers). i'd take the championship without skipping a beat. there also needs to be some sort of quantification of not just 'all stars' but 'superstars'...the guys who win mvps, the larry birds and magic johnsons and michael jordans...the guys who everyone, even people who aren't basketball fans, know about. because they really do define a franchise's legacy. no one cares about the seasons you went 20-52 in. the point system as it is rewards being just good or above average for a long period of time over being great, even if for a short period.

also, the -100 penalty for moving doesn't seem right to me. imo you should treat the teams before and after as separate entities, rather than just applying a flat out penalty.

9. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

The Jazz, The Blazers And Indiana ahead of the Rockets? Really?
    MY bias opinion here is Rockets #1!

10. DreamRoxCoogFan

how the f*** are the Knicks not in the top ten franchises all time? thats all you need to know about this ranking. And Im not even a slight Knicks fan.

11. Air Bullard

Air Bullard Member

I'm more shocked by the fact that Detroit is as low as they are... You would think they would at least be in the top 10 teams. I would agree that the Rockets should probably be up a couple spots at least ahead of the Suns and Jazz.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

How are the Bulls not 3rd...funny stuff.

Formulas and crap never get anything right.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Oh except for math and stuff...but to evaluate teams? No... pretty sure that formula guy had us losing to Portland and had the Lakers meeting the Cavs.

14. dragonz

dragonz Member

By John Hollinger

ROFL

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

How can Phoenix, Indiana, and Utah be on the list, but not the Seattle Supersonics?

*They were a perennial playoff team for most of 90s and 80s (like the Suns and Jazz), only missed the playoffs 7 times from 74-75 to 01-02.

* Won 60 games, 3x (same as Phoenix) in the same span.

*One of the most loyal fan bases in the history of the league

* Also, the Supersonics franchise has actually won a title. They've been 3 times (78,79,96) vs. the Jazz and Suns 2 and the Pacers 1.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

-100 for relocation, stupid in the Rockets case

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yeah that would probably be my list right there.

dont care but its a shame that they put the spurs above the bulls. hello jordan kinda ya know did some stuff.

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'm figuring that too, but I think the Spurs have been more consistent and relevant. The Bulls fell off after the MJ years. Still, they were one of the most dominant teams in league history with great revenue/advertisement and TV ratings records.

I almost think the Spurs should be lower, especially when Detroit is not list either.

Detroit should've had Indiana's spot.

How in the world did Indiana get on the list over Detroit and New York is really strange to me?

Indiana has only been to Finals, once and the conference Finals about 6 times. While, the Pistons have done that only in this decade with one Finals win and two appearance and a 67 win team.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Link? Can we give the writer/source some credit instead of just blatantly stealing the work?

20. iRonRon

iRonRon Member

The list should look something like this

1. Boston Celtics

2. Los Angeles Lakers

3. Chicago Bulls

4. San Antonio Spurs

5. Philadelphia 76ers

6.Houston Rockets

7.Phoenix Suns

8. Portland Blazers

9. Utah Jazz

10. Indiana Pacers

I think the top honor of the best franchise is how many rings you have, followed by playoff appearances, winning percentages and then later on best franchise player and some different accolades awarded to the players