1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lesson learned in buying furniture..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Prince, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Prince

Prince Member

so I bought this furniture from RoomsToGo, - Willowbrook branch in NW Houston. I paid 50 for delivery and assembly and when they delivered it last Saturday, they couldn't assemeble it due to some missing parts. The guy who delivered it told me that customer service will call me to arrange and fix the problem so he persuade me to sign the delivery confirmation rceipt since he promised that they're going to fix it the next day.

And I stupidly did what he said. I signed it.

I waited for hours I didn't get a call. So the following day I drove to the store where I bought the furniture and I was told that I'm in the wrong place. That they only entertain sales. Was pissed off a bit and I talked to the manager. The manager assured me that he'll call me the following day, Monday, to give me updates. He didn't call me but some other person did, telling me that on Tuesday they'll send smoe people to fix my furniture.

The guys arrived around 7pm but... still they brought the wrong hardware. Worst, they told me again that customer service will call me again. And I didn't get a call until the next day telling me the same story the told me on Sunday.

And so I thought, maybe this furniture is not really for us, I decided to return the merchandsise since I didn't open any of them including the memory foam which was compressed adn wrapped in plastic. All other parts except the headboard which they dlieverd unwrapped already. I was told that they don't have return policy. Nice.

Lesson:

Next time do not accept partial delivery, I'll tell them to load it back to their truck.

Rooms To Go SUX!

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Should have went to Gallery Furniture instead. I hear they're having a fire sale...

3. teknokid

teknokid Member

You should tell the manager that this story will be on ClutchFans and Twitter with his name all over it.

4. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

A few years ago, we bought a bedroom set for my son's room at RoomsToGo. They damaged the dresser while bringing it into the house, and tried to play it off like it was no big deal, and left the furniture with us. So I called the 800 number, and the rep indicated it would not be a problem, and that a new one would be delivered.

Nobody called or showed up for a couple of days, so we ended up calling them again, and they finally showed up - but instead of replacement furniture, they had some cheesey repair kit. We wouldn't even let them in with that weak sauce.

After a few more rounds of calls, we finally got them to replace the damaged stuff, and they took off a hundo or two of charges.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Interesting. I've never had a problem with Rooms To Go before. I've got 2 rooms full of their stuff. As a matter of fact, our bed frame had cracks in the wood after about 2 weeks (that's what she said) and they replaced the entire set.

6. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

We bought a dinner table from there last September. It took a month to deliver our table.

Our first delivery was canceled due to Ike. They said the customer service would call us to reschedule but never did. My fiance had to call and ask what was going on. They gave us a new delivery date and we were expecting it on that day. Never showed up. They rescheduled it to another date without letting us know. So they gave us a new date...they showed up during the day instead of at evening like they said. We were at work so they had to leave.

Finally, we got our table a month after. He had to make probably over 10 calls to customer service.

Don't think we'll buy from there again!

7. Prince

Prince Member

In fairness to the manager, he offered me to give a refund on the delivery charge since they messed up the service. I checked my credit card it's not reflected yet. I just hope he was not BS(ing) me cuz I'm going to blog this experience if I don't get that 50 dollars.

8. Prince

Prince Member

I did tell them but I did not mention specific websites.

9. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

lol, good one

:D

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

My wife and I are very patient furniture shoppers. We often can find sales and things at the upper end stores like Louis Shanks that match or beat prices at lower tier stores.

The best thing about shopping at places like Louis Shanks is the service.

Two times I have purchased closeout floor models. When delivered, there was damage discovered that wasn't apparent when it was on the floor, and BOTH times they replaced it with brand new furniture.

One of them was a bed that had a lopsided piece of trim, and the other was a sofa that had a broken foot when they tried to set it up.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Do some Googling about their constant calls to upgrade warranty at all hours of the day/night. I'll never buy from them again just due to their harassment.

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've only had one experience buying a living room set from them but it was nothing but pleasant. They delivered the day and time they stated, no damage to furniture despite a not so easy to get through entrance. The bad thing was the contractor that was working on our floor was dragging his feet and the new flooring wasn't installed yet. I asked if they culd leave the couch wrapped in the blankets they deliver them in and the mover guys said they weren't supposed to but did anyway. It was a great experience. No calls since then requesting a warranty upgrade either.

13. wheelsofsteel

wheelsofsteel Member

send a complaint email to their COO, and VP of Sales, they will get you taken care of.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, go higher up.... don't deal with the peons - they probably don't get paid enough to give a flip.

15. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

My brother in law bought some furniture from Rooms 2 Go a few months ago, and I swear he had the same story as you! He paid cash for the items. The guys came out with some stuff missing pieces. He too signed off on it, and I think it took him a good 2-3 weeks to get his stuff in right. One of the items he had came scratched noticibly on the front. He didnt even bother calling them on it since their customer service was already giving him the run around.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

One of the many ways my household saves money is an absolute avoidance of furniture. I estimate we have saved roughly $23,740 over the last eight years alone. Plus, this adds to the high-minded intellectual look I'm always hoping to impress upon the (admittedly rare) visitor.

"Please, just set this glass of rare vintage Pinot Noir on this impressive stack of hardcover literature."

17. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

[​IMG]

18. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I purchased my bedroom set from the Roomstore at the willowbrook location. I notice a small chip on the marble top dresser, after speaking with the customer service rep and had it replace the following day. I was told that the Roomstore also did not accept returns. Which furniture store will accept returns here in houston??

19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Pretty much the same exact problem I had. Bought a couch and ottoman and when they were delivered one of the legs on the ottoman was partially broken. Delivery guy said another one would be shipped to us and he had me sign the receipt. That was about a year ago now and I still haven't seen a new leg. I was too lazy to hassle with customer service and it's really not noticeable unless your looking down there. But lesson learned. Never ever sign a delivery slip on furniture if not in the exact condition as you bought it.

20. movement

movement Contributing Member

Wow, I was meaning to go to Rooms To Go to look at love seats since my cheapo sofa from Ikea is falling apart. I will definitely not go there now.