1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WTF Rafer???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FLASH21, May 26, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

The answer to your question can be found in the following link: LINK

To avoid future confusion, purchase one of these: LINK

2. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

It's so funny how many people here think Rafer is all of a sudden great. :rolleyes:

3. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

I can guard Rafer nuff said.

4. David@rockets

David@rockets New Member

Rafer is what he was in Houston. I watched the series. His inconsistence was demonstrated in the game 5. Poor decisions, fouls, turnovers. You name it. He did all he did in Houston. Sending him away is justified by the statistic data from the General mangager. No pity. Period.

5. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

Hate all you want about Rafer, but fact of the matter is...

he will still be the best QB out of Fresno State that Houston ever had :D

6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I know we should have traded Yao for Dwight Howard.

7. superweapon-yao

Dont worry , Yao definitely will go to Cleveland if that 'T-MAC only fan 'Mr Alexander could not offer Yao the maximum contract next year...lets see :D

8. BrooksBall

Yao will be 30 with multiple leg injuries under his belt by the time he becomes a free agent.

Even if Cleveland manages to pry Yao away from Houston, Lebron may bolt anyways. Playing alongside Yao may no longer be as attractive an option as it used to be. Owners will always love to have Yao on their team though.

I hate to say it but another legitimate factor to consider is that Yao is one serious injury away from being finished as an NBA player. All players are to a certain extent but Yao is closer than most.

9. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

wow, Rafer's in the Finals...I didn't think the trade would benefit the Magic so well. Obviously, it's benefitted the Rockets.

10. superweapon-yao

gonna watch one of my favor players Rafer play in the NBA final ...hoho where amazing happens ....

Good luck! skip to my lou~~~ ;)

11. BrooksBall

No doubt. Go, superweapon-rafer!

12. code_red

code_red Member

Yes, Rafer sucks so much, SVG has kept him as the starting PG all the way to the NBA finals :rolleyes:

13. BrooksBall

And many times taken him out of the game down the stretch to let the real PG of the team, Hedo, run the show. Anthony Johnson also outplayed him multiple times, not necessarily statistically.

14. BrooksBall

The 7-foot athletic beast in the middle, dominating the paint and glass at both ends, combined with the two near 7-footers on the perimeter that can put the ball on the floor as well as hit 3s and create mismatches for opponents are largely responsible for Orlando winning this series. One of those near 7-footers, Hedo, is also the acting point guard, doing most of the creating and playmaking. Pietrus' solid two-way play was the next biggest factor.

Rafer plays nearly an identical role with the Magic to the one he played for us and is doing it at almost the exact same mediocre level he did for us. Other than one half of hitting a handful of 3s (bank shot included) when left wide open, Rafer played a very pedestrian brand of basketball, usually handing the ball off to Hedo on the perimeter, allowing Hedo to be the playmaker. He did a fine job passing to Howard at times but Howard is a much easier target than Yao. He seals his man off much better than Yao and has much better mobility, longer arms and better hands. It is also nearly impossible to front Howard because of his otherworldly athleticism. Opponents get killed with lobs over the top if they dare to try. He also scores a lot of his points off putbacks and offensive rebounds.

#294 BrooksBall, May 31, 2009
    Last edited: May 31, 2009
  15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Good lord not one of these again. You might want to check back on all the finals matchups to see how many scrubs has been starters.

Btw, Rafer is going against Derick Fisher. You're not telling me that Fisher is better than Lowry/Brooks, are you?

16. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Good post BB.

I have to admit I LOL'd on the bold. :D

On a serious note, not everyone has the luxury to play with the to best center in the game. Rafer should be very thankful right now..

17. superweapon-yao

Rafer is that suitable type of PG and organiger with brilliant passing skills for the teams who got powerful center can carry out inside out and dish etc strategy...unfortunately we send Rafer to play NBA finals with someone else...how irony... :confused:

congrats to Rafer and hope you shine in the final :cool:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sigh~~~

18. BrooksBall

I wasn't sure of it before but I am absolutely positive at this point that I would take Howard over Yao. There is nothing wrong with being second best but I know this post will illicit some kind of unintended reaction.

19. BrooksBall

You do realize that the majority of the playmaking was done by Hedo, don't you?

Rafer doesn't hurt a team that has enough talent around him but he doesn't help them much either. He has a neutral effect on most games. If everything else isn't in place, he isn't good enough.

You can win a championship with mediocre to subpar PGs like Rafer and Fisher but it's not because of them. A much closer truth is that you can win despite their limitations because you have guys like Howard and Kobe doing the bulk of the work.

Is Rafer better than Chris Paul because the Magic made it this far and the Hornets didn't? Stupid question, yes, but people are overstating Rafer's impact on the Magic's success. It has a lot more to do with the rest of the team. They would be even better with Jameer and I think they could have done just as well with Anthony Johnson starting and Tryonn Lue coming off the bench.

20. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

The only people who haven't realized it are complete Yao fans, not rocket fans.

I've realized that both of my favorite players are injury prone can i do anything about it? no.

I just have to be real about the occurrence and hope that next year Yao and Tmac could be considered the best in the league at their position again.