1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Needs to Be Watching Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SageHare6, May 27, 2009.

1. lawwang

lawwang Member

I just want you guys watch magic fans.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This couldn't be any more obvious at this point since everyone is getting to see Howard in the playoffs against the best teams in the league. Orlando rarely runs plays for Howard and yet he still outscores Yao because he's so active. Howard is constantly moving, setting picks, going to the basket, and being very active on the glass. Defensively he disrupts anything heading into the paint area. Plus the guy is only 23 years old. Once he develops some consistency with those little jump hooks that he tries from time to time or develops some sort of go to move, he's going to be an MVP caliber player.

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

quick, name the best center dwight howard has played against this offseason.

4. YaodaMing

YaodaMing Member

Yao will never dunk the ball as hard as DH.

5. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

That Perkins dude is pretty good. At least Perkins pushed Howard away from the basket and limited Howard's dunks. Howard only averaged 16.4 pts in the Boston series

6. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

So far Dwight Howard has had to go through the Celtics with Big baby, perkins and then the Cavs have Ben Wallace, Big Z, Verejao.... Dwight Howard has had to put up against some pretty physical defenders. We have to give him that credit. The thing that strikes me most about Dwight is that he's younger than Yao. It's also not just the dunks... it's the fact that the orlando Magic can pass him the ball at ease. Right now it isn't the skill of the pg because Alston is still just Alston nor is it hedo's passing ability or who ever else is on that team. It is that Dwight does not need someone special ala Chris Paul or Tmac or Nash to just get the ball in his hands. I will say though with the reliable shooters except for Alston, Dwight doesn't need to worry about getting smothered as much Dwight does. If they all collapse around Dwight they know they will have to pay with a three. Well hopefully the Rockets organization can see this and will get us more players that can spread the floor.

8. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Well, Bendan Haywood actually played against both. So, his opinion has more value than those fantasy fans'.

9. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Pretty much. Most of the teams run out any guy around the height of 6'10" or so as their center and tell him to grab rebounds and occasionally post someone.

10. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

the best way to defend dh is to play behind him and hold your position due to his athletism. he doesn't have any post move and shooting skills. i don't believe other teams tried to use the fronting technique on him. rox didn't have any problem to get the ball to yao when teams put defender behind yao.

other teams also can't afford double teaming dh before dh gets the ball due to the magic offense. they don't start their offense from dh. dh is not their offense focal point.

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he'll never win one though.

12. rocketgo

rocketgo Member

If LBJ has Yao as his teammate, Mr Howard and the Magics are crying right now.

13. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Or if Lebron got dwight Howard as his team mate. uhhhh...... Yeah not happening.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That makes me wonder how we would have fared against the Blazers if they had Dwight Howard instead of Greg Oden. Brandon Roy, Dwight Howard, and LaMarcus Aldridge would be a killer combination.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yao couldn't watch him, he was busy rehabbing a broken bone. Again.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

For you to say that of any player that's achieved what Howard has at age 23 is just dumb.

17. roxwin

roxwin Member

Is DH still going to playing like this when he reach 30 years old,If he couldnt then what he left?

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

other than dunking and overpowering his opponent on offence, dwight howard is basically chuck hayes with his one legged hook chuck shots that rarely goes in...

and why is dunks >>>> layups, ya dunks has more power than layups , and thats about it. it doesnt matter if you break the backboard dunking it its still 2 points

19. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

This is an interesting theory.

Another year, another injury. I agree with you and all the other posters who say health trumps all. In fact, I think this theory is worth putting into practice next year. When I think of less pounding, and more midrange jumpers, I think (DRUMROLL PLEASE...)

LUMBERING RIK SMITS
    [​IMG]

in action...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/21/32616352_79f7e353d4.jpg?v=0

Who coincidentally battled foot problems throughout his career. The Pacers made some admirable playoff runs. And consistently so... 2nd rounders at a minimum. You had Smits, and you had Reggie (Miller). And some scary rebounders in Dale Davis and Antonio Davis. Bring Yao out, and bring in another post player (perhaps Scola), and yeah, maybe we get the double benefit of Yao maintaining his health AND productivity.

I like this theory Easy poses a lot, as it could mean, an extra dimension, and thus an extra leg to Yao's improvement. Last thing I really want to see (and believe) is that Yao has peaked in terms of both health AND skill.

That would be a true bummer.

:(

theSAGE

20. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qVJG-x--C24&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qVJG-x--C24&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Howard need to be watching Yao, Shaq, Duncan, Gasol and any other player with some type of post game, with the defense he facing seen, he should be putting HOF numbers, being single cover over and over again.

Soft Gasol play with more power on offense that Dwight, I have yet to see DH back anybody down on the post, all he dose is face up spin and take one of the most ugliest hook shoot in the game.

Yao would be putting HOF numbers if he is let alone on the post vs the likes of Big Z or Flop Varajao. Just ask Portland what happen to them when they decided to play Yao like in the first game or Lakers in the first game.

BTW Yao will never get owned one on one vs Perkins.