1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Needs to Be Watching Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SageHare6, May 27, 2009.

1. redao

redao Member

That's why they will be in the finale. Even their "Chuck Hayes" can average 20 points a game on 60% shooting.

Chuck Hayes needs to watch Howard but we have to pay him 10 times more...

BTW,

Dunks >>> layups

2. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

I realize that Yao and Dwight are the best two centers in the league so everyone wants to compare them, but they are totally different. Dwight Howard is an athletic freak. He may be the most athletic player in the league. Yao is not ever going to be able to make the types of athletic moves in terms of rebounding, block shots, dunking, etc. that Dwight can. Sealing off your man isn't as simple as Yao watching what Dwight does and doing it. Dwight can better seal off his man because he is stronger than Yao and more athletic, meaning he can move his feet faster and slide from side to side as necessary. Yao is usually guarded by guys who are faster than him. Dwight isn't.

Doesn't mean Yao is a bad player. He has much better post moves than Dwight and a better shooting touch. But to expect him to do some of the more athletic things Dwight does is wishful thinking.

3. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

This is like telling Howard to watch Yao shoot 18 footers. Better yet, tell Battier to watch Lebron. :)

4. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Seems like you only watched the overtime period when Howard was being the dominant player he's hyped up to be. I watched the entire game and I couldn't find myself anymore frustrated how baffled Howard is by simple double teams. He has no countermoves, none whatsover. It's funny how we complain about Yao's passiveness all the time, when Dwight suffers from the same problem. I'm really happy Dwight started to get aggressive in the OT after he had enough of Varejao's annoying tactics because the Magic wouldn't have won without him.

This is Howard's one and only move...Catch the ball on the left block, face up, ball fake left, drive right, and throw up a running hook. The frustrating part of this is he does this despite a double team, and ends up driving right into the teeth of the defense where he throws up a wild shot or turns the ball over. Imagine if Dwight had a simple counter move like a spin to the baseline, he'd be the undisputed best center in the league, none of this Yao being better talk.

But at the moment, his backup Marcin Gortat has more offensive game than Dwight Howard, which is quite shocking for someone being heralded as the best center in the league. Hopefully you DVR'd the game so you can watch it in its entirety, so you can actually have a competent conversation with me. Watch the game last night and you would see that everytime (but the OT) they would throw the ball into Howard, something bad would happen.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Dwight's averaging 23 ppg, 2.8 apg, on 62% shooting from the field against one of the best defensive teams in the league in the ECF. And he's doing it without his team having to expend 18 seconds of the shot clock every other possession to get him the ball. That's just smart, efficient offense.

6. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

You must really long for the Hakeem Olajuwon era, right? Hey, don't we all?

7. errpac

errpac Member

I don't think so, i would honestly be confident in a healthy Rockets taking out both Cavs and Magic in 6 games. Rockets D is too much for Lebron and company and against Magic we are much tougher then them.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He needs to watch what Howard does with his elbows.

9. vbx

vbx Member

It's been 7+ years. Yao is soft and will always be soft. Move on.

10. bloop

bloop Member

Honest question: how many games have you watched?

Howard had a good series of possessions the last game in overtime. He was basically left open under the basket and got 2 dunks and a lay in.

That's not typical of his production this series. If anything he's been exposed as one dimensional... with big holes in many areas including bonehead techs

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

does it matter offensively? they have enough weapons. the fact that he could play 40+ minutes nightly, and not get tired, rebound, play defense, draw double teams... that's all you need your center to do if you have 3pt shooters all around.

he's averaging 21 and 16 in the playoffs. that's no all-time great stuff, but that's best center in the L stuff.

and yes, yao still owns howard head-to-head. but they don't play each other every night so it is irrelevant.

12. sbyang

sbyang Member

Howard is horrible on the low block, I know he had one good overtime, but he should be the 4th or 5th option on the team offensively.

Defensively he is really really good, he allows guys like Hedo and Rashard to play by covering their ass.

13. ibm

ibm Member

yup, repeated ownage is nothing - as long as you keep your eyes closed and make things up.

14. yaorta

yaorta Member

oh, i almost forgot, howard is owned by yao every time, so is there any reason why yao needs to be watching a guy who is owned by him every time

15. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Come on. The Rockets with Yao would have already swept that overrated Cavs team. Heck they would probably sweep Howard and the Magic too.

16. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=26351

17. langal

langal Contributing Member

Agree.

Yao can never have Howards "skill" set. Why bother? It's based purely on athleticism. Maybe if Yao screams more and pounds his chest sometimes, people will be satisfied.

If Howard had half of Yao's skills - which are based entirely on training, he'd be true monster.

18. redao

redao Member

repeated ownage is everything and more but Howard has achieved more than Yao could not have been dreamed of in year 5.

19. ApuN

ApuN Member

Ming can't offensive rebound.

Thats his biggest problem and the main reason why Dwight has surpassed him and going to the finals.

20. dexkk

dexkk Member

More like because Yao's injury prone and they have Turkoglu. I really like their backup center too (i hope we steal him away).