1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons NBA playoffs mailbag: Very Interesting Trade scenario for the Rox

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abigwreck, May 22, 2009.

1. Crudder

Crudder Member

Fully agree - IF (and that's a big if) we can keep Scola, I would be all for the deal. What's more frightening is we trade Shane, who everyone apparently now agrees is our defensive glue guy (what JVG has been saying for years btw) for Peja who may shoot better, although he didn't show it in the denver series, but has nowhere near the same defensive IQ or ability as Battier. Sadly, If I were the hornets, I would want Scola because David West sucks ass without Paul there.

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I've been mulling this scenario over since the very inkling of a Paul trade was bandied about.

I wouldn't do the deal that Simmons proposed, but it's very close. I would do it if we kept one of Landry or Scola, preferably Scola.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Would you just quit posting in regards to this topic until you grasp the entire point of the trade? The point of the trade for New Orleans would be to SAVE MONEY! How is a freshly resigned Artest going to help them save money? He's not. This is strictly about money for them. Not talent. Of course, they will be able to talk up Brooks and Landry as young talent with potential in the newspaper, and that's a big part of including them. They'd also talk up how talented McGrady is even though his career is basically over. But everything you've said in this thread completely misses the point of this trade from New Orleans perspective.

Personally, I think Nikestrad's proposed deal is the best so far. It saves them more money than Bill Simmon's proposed trade and we get to keep Scola. I would definitely try to include both Cook and Brent Barry and get Battier and Scola out of the deal if at all possible - but hey, you've got to give something to get something.

4. Crudder

Crudder Member

I agree with this to some extent in that Paul's caliber outweights whatever Scola brings to the table. But, lets not forget how big of a gaping hole this team had at the PF position for the longest time and where JVG plugged in Hayes into the position. Good bigs are hard to find, especially with the footwork Scola has. Until Morey brought in Scola and Landry, our 4 position sucked hard since Tmac was traded here (lets not forget Juwan Howard).

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

yup, before Scolandry, Kenny Thomas has been the best pf we've had in the past decade or so.

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

worst.
    deal
    ever.

don't take away the heart and soul of the team.
    Carl, Luis, Shane and Brooks?

are you kidding me? oh and they can have that TMac guy

7. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Well, just for kicks, what if you could massage the deal like this:

1) Landry would have to approve the trade for it to go through, so perhaps we keep him, and give them Cook for another few million in financial relief. They already have West, so getting Landry AND Scola would be overkill at PF, unless, they plan to trade West for financial relief. So, perhaps we could keep one of those, and I'd assume that would be Landry.

2) As much as I want to keep Battier, and know that he's the heart and quarterback of this team, at his prime, and now the KOBE stopper, he's at his most valuable, and a big part of why this trade would go down. If they would keep Posey instead, I'd love it, but doubt that's an option. Posey would be great off the bench, and function much like Battier does with strong defense.

3) As the article says, if they buy TMac out, they'd get more relief. What if TMac then re-signed back with us for a title run, since he'd have a better chance here than there?

THEN, once TMac healed up, we'd have an even more serious contender.

Yao/(Chandler)/Dorsey/draft pick or trade
    Chandler/Landry/Hayes
    Artest/Posey/White
    TMac/Peja/Wafer
    Paul/Lowry

... that would be killer AND with depth ... ;)

You have to give up something to get something ... but, if they bought out TMac, and he actually recovered from injury, I'd LOVE to have him back.

... but, I'd take the hypothetical deal just like it's proposed in a heartbeat.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Everyone wants CP3. I don't see CP3 going anywhere, for anyone, unless it's for another (near) All Star PG, heavy cap relief, and picks.

Peja is absolutely the contract they want to shed more than any other. Tyson nearly got moved simply because he, unlike Peja, is an overpaid but somewhat useful player. Peja's becoming a total lead anchor.

My guess is that the Hornets would be one of the very few teams that would deal for McGrady this summer rather than this coming February, but the deal would probably look like:

McGrady

for

Peja, Rasual Butler, #21 pick

This deal would work, if the Hornets pick on our behalf and the trade becomes official in July, adding the draft pick to the salaries that have to match.

9. choujie

choujie Member

Chander can plug right in there. Remember the day when Yao and Cato play C/PF? Our inside defense would be up another level.

10. Crudder

Crudder Member

I agree in that I don't think CP3 is going anywhere unless the Hornets org. goes out of business or something. But, the risky thing about a trade that doesn't involve CP3 is IF Tmac gets healthy. If that happens, he'll be playing alongside CP3 which is a scary thought especially against a division rival.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Why would we do that though? There is nothing in that package that is appealing to me. I just don't get why you'd even suggest this as a possibility. I mean, Peja, Butler and a lottery pick? Sure. But the #21?

12. Crudder

Crudder Member

That is certainly possible and we would probably increase shot blocking by quite a bit. But on the offensive end, you lose. Chandler cannot create his own shot at all. So again, we are stuck with a PF and many other guards that cannot create their own shot.

13. heyangw

heyangw Member

Oh NO NO NO!
    We trade the whole Rockets team and our future just for Paul and three old and expensive players?
    This is insane!

14. choujie

choujie Member

The line up will be CP3/Artet/Peja/Chandler?yao.

CP3 will have a easier time. Nobody fronts Denver's big, and they don't draw as much atteention as Yao.

When Yao is fronted, CP3 will drive just like AB but he can finish 10 times better. Chandler will be there for offensive rebounding. He's great at that.
    If PF helps to stop CP3's drive, Chander will be wide open for alley-opps, he's much more atheltic than Scola.

Artest has improved his 3 point shooting in each of past 3 years, it's long enough to believe his 3 point shooting just becomes better than he was younger.

Peja had an off year, his career 3 point shooting should be more of an indication.

Chandler would likely be more healthy if he doesn't have to play C all the time.

Our defense doens't suffer, we lose D at SF position, but we gained D and PG and PF position.

15. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I dont get this either :confused: No way Morey takes on Peja's contract w/o CP 3. You say CP3 is unabailable, that I can believe. But in that case arent we just better off letting TMAC expire than to take those contracts??

16. choujie

choujie Member

Yao, CP3, Artest all can create their own shots consistently. And Peja can create his own shots much better than Battier.

With a great play maker, creating shots by himself is overrated, there is only one ball going around.

CP3 can create for others so much better than AB.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think we're all missing the point here, just imagine CP3 cutting up the D to get inside the paint and having not just chandler, but also Yao waiting for an alley oop ... That's alllllllllllllllllllllllllll dayyyyyyyyy :D

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Sorry guys...Chris Paul is a once in a lifetime point guard. I would do this in a heartbeat.

19. RoxD

RoxD Member

Just do it.

You are right. Sell high.

20. slay743

slay743 Member

And CP3 wouldnt have to give up the ball to artest so no more dibbling out the clock. :D