1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tracy McGrady: Just The Numbers...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 18, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No one is arguing that, but if his talent doesn't mix with the rest of the team and the way they are playing then his talent does not compliment the team and make it better.

That is what Clutch is saying......

No one is arguing that McGrady is not talented, a lot of us just think he doesn't FIT the current direction.....

DD

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

Can you imagine a starting unit of Brooks, Battier, Artest, Yao, Scola and a bench unit of Lowry, Wafer, McGrady, Lafrentz, Landry?

If McGrady were willing to fill a role, he would be awesome.

3. illwil29

illwil29 Member

The year after the magic lost in the first round as well. They did not get anybetter till Dwight Howards second year. By the way I am happy for Rafer he gets to play with a real dominant big man. From what I watched yesterday the Rockets backcourt and the nuggets front court would equal the lakers gone.

4. Tabvegas

Tabvegas Member

I'm content with benching Mcgrady until the final 2 minutes. (only provided it's close.) Other than that he's useless. But I wouldn't be surprised if he played the whole year next year and had a solid season on paper.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Strongly disagree with this statement.

Tacy in the closing seconds of a quarter:
    Dribble, Dribble ignore everyone else and wait till defender is draping over him and clank.

6. ThaBlackKnight

This sounds much more like AB and Ron Artest in the closing seconds. Tmac will draw double teams, he can get to the basket, and he can get others open looks.

Aaron Brooks and Ron Artest can't do those things very often or effectively.

7. onreego

onreego Member

Exactly, thats how Sacramento ended our streak last season....oh wait..

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

fixed

9. ThaBlackKnight

I would fix that by saying ,"when healthy, he can get to the basket".

Obviously this year he was hurt, and he couldn't get to the basket, which is why he had to shut it down. That was a big part of his game (playmaking).

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

What you saw this past season is closer to what you'll see when he comes back. 30 year olds don't get microfracture and come back jumping and running like they did at 27

11. ThaBlackKnight

We'll find out next season. Doctors are saying he COULD return by training camp or the start of the season. Most people with microfracture surgery don't come back that quickly either, so lets see how he comes back before we judge him.

None of us really knows how he'll be until we see it with our own 2 eyes.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I could have sworn a common complaint for years
    were that the rockets were HORRIBLE closing out quarters

Rocket River
    . . . even back to the Francis days

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

This is true, until we see Santa Claus, we can not actually prove or disprove he exists.

Just saying...

;)

DD

14. crunch

crunch Member

Myth: Tracy is a closer...You can put the ball in his hands and be satisfied with the decision he makes.

Truth: That's a theory, but not a fact. With 3 mins left w/ Rockets leading by 5, he would very very often decide to take a long jump instead of driving to the hole. That was even when he was healthy.

15. ThaBlackKnight

Hey, its okay to wait til you see it to believe it. lol.

Just wait then see if he's really done. We honestly can't know unitl then.

People did the same thing to Dwade in Miami before last year. He said he was written off faster than any athlete. Well, the Heat knew better and gave him a chance to return healthy, and he ends up having the best individual season of his career. I know he's younger and better right now, but that doesn't mean Tmac can be 75-85% of what he used to be, which is still better than AB and Artest offensively as playmakers.

Lets just wait and see...

16. ThaBlackKnight

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6432334.html

“It’s just going to be a bonus,” Adelman said. “If Tracy can come back and play and be a positive part of it, you’re that much better. Right now, you have to plan on how we finished the year. That’s the group we have and will probably have at the start of the year with whatever additions we can make.”

The Rockets are not sure of Tmac's status for next year, but even Rick Adelman, an 18-year head coach in the NBA (one of the more successful coaches I might add) and 2nd place in coach of the year voting (should be COTY) even knows that a healthy Tracy McGrady only makes the Rockets better.

Are some of yall saying yall know better than Coach Adelman?? If so, where is yall's NBA coaching resume??

I think the coach's opinion cancels out everybody's opinion, because he works with him every day for a season. None of us can really say that...

17. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

Dude, stop bustin a nut. What did u expect Rick to say? I dont want him back?

Besides, you could actually look at it in a complete different way. The fact that he said 'it'll be a bonus if Tracy comes back' more likely means he's not really expecting him back. And if he comes back he better be a 'positive part of it' meaning he better not come back and lolly gag like he did last year, injured or not. I wouldnt exactly say he was totally enthusiastic about this news or anything.

18. ThaBlackKnight

What the F***K man?? I can't post an actual and most reliable source on here?

I'm just stating what RA said. If he felt like Tmac would hurt this team, he would say it. Its not like he doesn't have credibility as a head coach in this league. What would he be afraid of?

If you don't like what I'm posting, then tough s***t, you can go f***k yourself for all I care.

I'm just posting on this thread to prove a point, like I do with all of my posts. Why don't you post some stats and actual reliable sources other than your opinion before you criticize somebody's posts...

19. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

Just FYI, i've been arguing with you for a couple days in a very rational manner until in your last post you basically said that unless we have 18 years of head coaching on our resume, we shouldnt argue about TMAC....um, ok. If you say so.

How about just this, I'll just argue some more for argument's sake. You say we wont know what TMAC does until we see what he does next year 'with our own 2 eyes'. Ok. How about this, so far what we've seen 'with our own 2 eyes':

TMAC on Rockets = 0 first round wins
    Rockets - TMAC = 2nd round

Now of course, you're gonna come back with your usual BS arguments, he had bad coaching, no help blah blah blah blah blah

What I saw with my own eyes so far from his entire career:

TMAC = 0 first round wins

And I dont even really hate TMAC or anything, I hope he comes back healthy and all but gosh darnit, I'm proving a point using your extremely flawed theory....

20. emjohn

emjohn Member

Most microfracture surgeries have had a 9 month timetable surgery-->return to court. Amare Stoudamire's issue was very similar to McGrady's (dime sized area on a non weight bearing region), and his was 9 mo. The other thing to consider is that no one I'm aware of came back at 9 months and did well. Amare had to be shut right back down. It usually ended up being ~18 months for the "successful" rehabbers to play somewhat like themselves again.

If I'm Morey/Adelman, especially if I have concerns about McGrady's ability to transition himself back into and mesh rather than disrupt, I make sure he can play like a demon in practice for two weeks before I let him suit up. And even then, I have him come off the bench. The way Adelman handled McGrady last year, and Webber back in 2004 was horrendous.

Don't allow McGrady to hijack the team again in an attempt to woo suitors for his free agency.