1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now that the season's over, do we re-sign Ron Artest?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Artesticles, May 17, 2009.

?

Re-sign Artest?

1. YES

714 vote(s)
    72.6%
  2. NO

269 vote(s)
    27.4%
  1. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Outright, I want to say, I honestly thought this team was plenty "tough" before hand. Artest brought some fire and strength but I honestly see guys like Battier and Mutumbo as being the real leaders of this team. Really, the mythic "toughness" Ron supposedly brought to the team this year, didn't stop us from blowing a lot of early leads in games during the regular season and the issues all our double digit loses to the Lakers in the 2nd round.

And frankly, I'd give our push during this last series to the combined efforts scoring and defensively of Scola, Brooks, Hayes and others rather then just Artest doing any one thing other then his assignment on the court. But despite all that I do agree with you, they should try to sign him. He is a strong complementary player, excellent defender (on some players), his rep alone put other teams on notice and he seems to fit in well with the team. I wouldn't pay him a MAX deal or anything near it but, he'd be a great pick up since I doubt that McGrady will be able to come back early in the season at anywhere near 100%.

Heck, honestly, while I am a T-Mac fan, even if you don't trade or cut McGrady next season, I'd rather see our current starting lineup start each game and McGrady come off the bench if he can play at all. When Yao comes out the game for some rest, T-Mac comes in to bring the scoring and depending on the match ups, may stay in.

Either way, I'd like to sign Artest to a reasonable deal, he deserves one.

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think this team was much tougher with Artest this year than they were in year's past(against the Jazz specifically). Artest got in Kobe's face and showed the Lakers that this team wasn't going to back down. Of all the cheap shots the Jazz players used on us in the last several years, no Rocket ever did that and Utah carried that mental edge over us. Odom tried to talk smack to Scola but did you notice he didn't continue the series like that? I think if we didn't have Artest's "dont F with me" attitude, Odom would have(and has in other series I have seen) kept running his mouth.

I agree with everyone that Artest killed us when Yao went out, but I think the thing is Artest is not good as #1 option and that was what he was forced to be with Yao & tmac out. The irony is Artest's fiery play is part of the reason Houston took it to 7 in the first place.

I like signing him to a reasonable 3 years deal as long as you plan to have Yao and another scorer on the court with him at all times. I don't care if that's Tmac or someone else but leave Ron to exploiting situational matchups and creating havoc on defense and we will be just fine.

3. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

artest is an asset that is either holding its value or is appreciating in value.

you do not let a player of his calibur walk. tell this player you will work with his camp and arrange a trade in their favor if they are so inclined to leave.

then you recieve at least equal in value (most likely the highest value artest has had in his career of his career) in return if he walks.

let's be honest. he comes in and spells t-mac so well he gets this team beyond the first round and pushes the lakers to 7 games without two of this team's starters...

ron artest is an asset. a very valuable asset. as a business owner, you want to get a return on your investment.

and it's an investment that has paid off nicely for both parties.

4. joegoroxy

joegoroxy Member

you guys are ridiculous.

we won w/ ron and now you want to let him walk?

he brought back passion, grit, and determination back to the rockets. if we can resign him @ a reasonable price, then i say lets do it!

5. BossRolen

BossRolen Member

It isn't Ron that couldn't co-exist with McGrady, it was McGrady that wouldn't co-exist with Ron. MAC is the one who needs to adjust his role to fit into the flow of the free-flowing offense that Adelman has established that got us out of the first round of the playoffs. MAC is not the dominant create-your-own shot-whenever-you-want-and -it's -ok -guy anymore. He needs to take that shot when it is open in the flow of the offense. When/IF MAC and YAO return healthy, Ron shouldn't be shooting more than 10 shots a game for any reason. He should be a defensive stopper and facilitator.

6. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

The more I think about it the more it makes sense for Ron to go somewhere else. Assuming McGrady is healthy and ready for the season, the Rockets would have 2 guys with basically the same type of game. McGrady and Artest do no drive to the basket. Well I don't want to put pressure on McGrady cause he was hurt but with Yao clogging up the middle McGrady has been more of a shooter lately

Artest shoots way more than he should also so what would be the point of having him and Mac shoot up ill advised shots. I'm not sure who is going to be a free agent and someone realistic that the Rockets can sign but maybe Ron should walk and Von also. Artest's D has not been the same. Maybe his goodie good attitude he had this year had something to do with him wanting a contract but from what I saw last year that is not the Ron Artest that I've seen play from the Bulls, Pacers, and Kings days. I want that Ron Artest on this team.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

An S and T is preferably to letting Ron just walk.

8. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Sign and Trade for who though. That's a question to think about. You have to bring in someone who can play with McGrady and Yao. Someone who would be fine with being the 3rd option and fine with coming off the bench. Not that many guys who are proven scorers or so on would be able to follow behind those 2.

Ron was good here. He had his moments but remember he was basically playing for something. No telling how he is going to act now that he basically is getting what he wanted.

9. RocketFanatic09

It doeskin matter what you all say or think. anything you guys say wont happen. its up to Morey and Ra to make decisions

10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Talent wise, you are right a healthy and motivated McGrady is a better player than Artest. Problem is T-Mac's health is a major question and he is mentally weak. I'd rather have both of them co existing nicely on the floor, but if forced to choose give me Artest. At least you don't have to worry about his effort, or his ability to play through pain. He sets the right example for the rest of the team to follow, and is the perfect complement to a finesse star like Yao.

I'm not convinced T-Mac will ever get back to an elite level again because of a lack of mental toughness.

11. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

What exactly did we win? Looking forward to our first regular season game when we hang our 2nd round banner and present our 2nd round rings to all our players.

If he's willing to re-sign at a Moreyable price, we do it. Otherwise, kthxbai

12. Asian Sensation

We're not going to give him the world but it sure does feel nice to have a tough team and make it out of the first round in 12 years.

Progress is progress. What exactly were you expecting with our 2 main options and backup center down?

13. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Well I certainly wasn't expecting our supposed 3rd best player completely letting the team down and betraying us by being so incompetent on the offensive end. Those home game we won without Yao? We didn't need Ron to win those games.

14. stroker

stroker Member

Good point....couldn't agree more

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With Artest, his mind is a major question. He's not mentally strong either, he's mentally erratic. I'd rather have both co-existing nicely on the floor, but if forced to choose give me T-mac. At least you know you have someone who can take the clutch shot, and can create shots for his team-mates when defenses clamp down in the 4th qtr. T-mac is the perfect compliment to a bunch of guys who work hard and a superstar center in Yao.

Frankly, you can make a case either way. But T-mac can bring us to another level. He can make us championship calibar. he led us to 22 game winning streak and he and yao have almost led this team outta the first round with a bunch of scrubs. With this team, what they could do would be amazing.

I'd rather roll the dice to win a ring then roll the dice to win a few playoff series. That's why I will take T-mac over Ron-Ron any day of the week.

16. RocketClay

RocketClay Member

I vote no. Artest cannot be the main guy behind Yao. I saw too much combustability in the offense this year and Ron was a big part of it. His senseless shot selection, his below average ball-handling skills, and just his overall decision making on the court all concern me. Yes, Ron did a lot of really great things for this team....but I was not impressed with the postseason that he had. Aaron Brooks was the ultimate catalyst in the Rockets' victories over LA after Yao went down. I like Ron's toughness, but quite frankly, I don't believe that Artest is as irreplaceable as many people make him out to be.

I don't want the Rockets to go into the offseason thinking that they need to keep either Ron or McGrady just because they need to have at least one of those guys to play with Yao. Both Ron and T-Mac have to be expendable. The only untouchables on this roster are Yao and Battier in my opinion. Everyone else should be at Morey's arsenal.

17. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

I will respectfully disagree with you slightly. I would replace Carmelo with Billups.

18. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

he had a pretty good game last night, haha.

19. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

I will get this out of the way first. I think the Rockets are better served keeping McGrady through the season and then deciding what they want to do with him next off season barring some major development.

Let's be honest. This and 2005-06 were the only seasons that it was hard to watch McGrady play. Prior to this season, I saw movement. I saw crisp entry passes to Yao. I saw penetration and kick outs for open shots (whether they went in or not is another story). I saw Yao getting easier post position and fewer double teams. In other words prior to this season the ball did move "even with" T-Mac in the game. But don't be mistaken, he did hold the ball in clutch situations. Who would you have wanted to have the ball in that situation last year Alston, Brooks, Battier or Scola? Most of you enjoyed last year's team too because they were winning. So please stop this nonsense.

This year's team had an additional year to learn the offense and had players that could run it for a change. Yet, you fail to also mention that there were many games that were painful to watch with this T-Macless team too. So stop this foolishness. Even with Yao there were plenty of nights that as a fan you would be sick to your stomach with their overall performance. Did you enjoy those nights??

You are making subjective statements that you can not prove because you are not in the huddle or in practice. I don't care if McGrady looks like he doesn't even break a sweat as long as he still makes the correct basketball play. I don't care if McGrady makes $20+ millions dollars next year. At the time of the extension he was worth it. Did he drive the basket enough may be not but no one really did last season. Who did it most this season? I would say Wafer and Lowry and we didn't have them last year. For that matter, I would argue that Artest at the SG didn't go to the basket off the dribble that much more than McGrady did last year if at all.

About these judgments... Just because you look like you are working hard doesn't mean that you are (Just ask the Bush Administration :D )!! You need to stop looking for T-Mac or any other Rocket to emulate Kobe's or LeBron's on the court demeanor. If you don't like him fine but don't tell us that getting out of the first round is solely his fault in a team game. This team at almost every position was better than previous years. They were more athletic for sure and younger too if I am not mistaken. Plus they actually had both Yao and Scola in the first round this year. We have never had a legitimate 4 to compliment Yao for a full series ever!!!

So the TRUE bottom line is we are (with an added week of play) just like we were last year, watching others play for a championship. PERIOD. Is that concrete enough for you?

Lastly as I stated initially, we need to try to keep everyone at a reasonable cost for next season plus add I big like both Alexander and Morey have stated. We'll see if McGrady can give us anything and, if not, the team should use that money somewhere else next summer. We need his skill set. Whether it's from him or not is yet to be seen. And please no bad contracts!!!!

20. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

True but you said playmaker and Billups makes plays not just for himself. He actually set up Carmelo some too. But they are both good choices!! May be I am a little biased towards Billups.