1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Yao for Pau Gasol?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pangzi, May 16, 2009.

1. tommyz2kool

tommyz2kool Member

Yao doesnt have a faceup game. So yes, Gasol can do more than Yao since he can play with his back to the basket too.

2. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Just because Gasol has a face up game doesn't make him any better than Yao offensively. Gasol is more versatile offensively, but he's not better than Yao offensively.

Yao is just way too effective at what he does in the low-post and he's at least average in the high-post. Bottom line is you can run your offense through Yao to win a title, you can't for Gasol. We saw what he did in Memphis, just an all-star player at best that wasn't able to lead his team. He's a 2nd option player, Yao could be either 1st or 2nd.

3. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

If 3 defenders had to keep their eyes on Kobe, Yao would dominate in a fashion unimaginable by Yao haters. Unfortunately on the Rockets, 3 defenders eye Yao.

4. ludingji

ludingji Member

ive been thinking of trading yao for gasol, who will fit into adelman-style team better than yao. he can pass, take the mid-range shots, pick and roll. yao is too big to be as agile as he. he wanna be like a good play maker, but he just cannt help it. so he should go another way different from gasol. and jackson is the only coach who can develop him and get the most out of him. so if the trade really happens, it would be a win-win situation.

5. stonesc

stonesc Member

i think this is a humdrum topic, Yao>>>>>>>>>> Gasol

6. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

April Fool's have passed!!! I love my Rockets, as is.

7. yogagreenstone

That's to the point. :D

8. cml750

cml750 Member

Very true but Gasol>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yao on the bench with an injury. Lets face it Yao is damaged goods. He can't play a whole season because his feet can't take the pounding from his freakish size. How much better would we have been in game 7 if we had Gasol and the Lakers had an injured Yao on the bench. I believe we would be playing Denver Tuesday. If Yao didn't have the injury issues then I would take him over any big but D. Howard. Unfortunately he does have season ending injuries every year so we need to trade him for whatever we can get while he still has value.

9. manhore

manhore Member

This proposed trade is a NO-Brainer for both teams.

Adelman's offense is a perfect fit for any Euro-player (Vlade and Peja comes to mind).

Yao is the ULTIMATE Zen Warrior which fits Phil Jackson well. And Yao can say good-bye to the double and triple teams he faces on a nightly basis. Currently, teams have to gameplan JUST for Yao. Now they would have to gameplan for BOTH Kobe and Yao AND have to worry about ODOM on the weakside. Talk about SCARY.

10. lastmanstanding

Yao is the better player but Gasol would fit Adelman ball better and he's not a walking injury concern so you'd have to at least consider it if the trade was offered.

11. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

soooooo gasoft has one good game and you would trade him for the best center in the league and keep she-mack. :confused:

Cocaine is a helleva drug

12. RyanB

RyanB Member

Never, but i'd trade him for Dwight Howard
    our team is more athletic when Yao is out
    so Superman can be a good option instead of Yao

13. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Do you have issue expressing your thoughts clearly or are you just being deliberately obtuse?

Here's you said: "Give me the guy who I know I will get 18 and 9 from every night rather than the guy who splits between 35/15 - 7/5- IR. This is even more greatly magnified if you consider the best teams (ie: the playoffs) are the most likely to totally take Yao out of the game."

You first statement was made with no restriction attached -- again, what the heck does "every night" mean in your book?

Essentially you were claiming that, 1) compared to Gasol, Yao' scoring as well as rebounding was highly inconsistent night in and night out; 2) compared to Gasol, Yao's inconsistencies in both categories were even more pronounced when competing against elite teams. You also implied when Yao's scoring was low, his rebounding would take a hit.

I have since recompiled numbers to include every game both Yao and Gasol played this season. The results (mean±s.e) are not much dissimilar to the ones I posted previously:
    Code:
    	                -----ppg-----	          -----rpg-----	
    	              Gasol	    Yao	        Gasol        Yao
    vs all teams	   18.82±0.63	19.40±0.64    9.77±0.36   9.99±0.39
    vs playoff teams   18.38±0.70	19.45±0.90    9.74±0.53   9.84±0.51
    in playoffs	   18.50±1.45   17.11±2.22   10.75±0.99  10.89±0.65

Yao and Gasol are statistically dead even in terms of the consistencies in their scoring as well as rebounding in games (93 by Gasol and 86 by Yao) vs all teams. Their ppg and rpg averages are nearly identical to the overall means in either category when competing against all playoff teams (53 games by Gasol and 49 by Yao), although Yao's scoring variance is slightly larger. In the playoff games where the sample sizes (12 by Gasol and 9 by Yao) are considerably smaller, both Yao and Gasol recorded higher rebounding averages, but Yao's scoring took a hit (however the t-test results show the difference between Gasol and Yao is insignificant).

Even though you explicitly qualified your second statement, that had no effect whatsoever on your first statement, which is completely false. Overall, Yao's perceived inconsistencies, when compared to those of Gasol's in all games, in games vs good teams (all playoff teams), and in games vs "best teams" (in playoffs) are either mostly over-exaggerated, simply non-existent, or to the contrary.

Not disagreeing with what you said in much of the latter part of the above post -- you could tell I sure attach greater importance to scoring than rebounding (see the end of post #48), but this is not the point of my refutation of your original argument. You had no idea how consistent each player was in scoring and rebounding to begin with, and when you were called out for your numerous baseless claims, you kept shifting goal post. BTW, if you are so dismissive about rebounding and its consistency, why even bother to bring them up in the first place? Can you at least be coherent in your argument even though you appear to be somewhat quantitatively deficient when numerical matters become slightly non-trivial (maybe your intellectual laziness gets the best of you at the moment, but I can't really tell).

#253 wnes, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  14. ibm

ibm Member

^^ checkmate.

15. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Ownage...total ownage by wnes.
    Good work bro.

16. catch22

catch22 Member

Dang! case settled
    thacabbage tell me you are not the thacabbage that was hanging around in Laker's lounge

17. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

There is no way I would build a team around Pau before Yao. Yao may not be the fastest guy around, but his mere presence in the lane is a defensive stopper. Notice what happened when Yao went out. Pau was really not much of a factor in the series and Bynum definately was not, until Yao went down. Offensively, Yao is the best big man in the league. Hands down.

18. pandaman

pandaman Member

hehe first post ^_^,
    Im with you on this one, Gasol was complete no no until yao went out of action, and well as for bynum well lets jus say my jaw was down to my feet in game 7. ¬¬ Yao mite not be agile but hell make up for it and hes always tryin 2 get back on if he misses ( granted its not as quick as other big guys). But still yao is the ONE!

19. tommyz2kool

tommyz2kool Member

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I'm just saying that Pau can do more. FWIW, I wouldn't pick either to build a team around. Pau is not a dominant player, and Yao is just not durable. Sorry big guy, I love ya and all, but if you want to be the man, you have to be there when your team needs you the most.

20. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

I think both Gasol and Odom are great fit for Coach A's system. The following trade will make both teams better:

Yao/Artest/(Landry) for Gasol/Odom/(Ariza)

1 person likes this.