1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cash Cow? Looking for details...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets2K, May 18, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

That RIGHT there is what I was talking about....and if Les is any kind of businessman, he would sell it soon, before Yao can opt out...

Unless it is a toy for him....

DD

2. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Not necessary, because people are arguing that Toyota Center is helping this value increasing, and TMac is the second biggest reason behind TC.

Like I said before, you can't quantify anything right now, unless you trade Yao, and then compare the team value after Yao is gone and current deals expire. Then we will find out the exact number. The only problem is, what's the use of that number at that point to anyone any more? I guess a few like you and I can pad our backs for winning an argument on a bbs?:)

I said quite some time ago, it seems that Yao has worn out his welcome here. If a good trade comes along, probably it's the best for both to part their ways.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Great, let's speculate when Les will sell this team!

4. pentajigga

pentajigga Member

Awesome answer. Thanks a ton.

5. ibm

ibm Member

i thought the tc was built by sf3, no? :cool:

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Don't be so fast to assume that.

The Toyota Center's naming coincided with Toyota's attempts to enter into the North American heavy truck market and compete with Ford and Chevy in the market that they dominate - and the capital of heavy truck sales is Texas.

In fact they built a whole damned truck plant in San Antonio. Don't tell me that's because of Yao.

Of course, the plant is just producing trucks that Toyota can't sell, but that's beside the point. Toyota's strategy in Texas is pretty heavily influenced by regional concerns.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yes, I'm wondering why people are questioning obvious things as well. This is right up with the Are we better w/o Yao/Tmac threads. Is everyone undergoing some kind of confucian questioning phase?

Does a falling tree make a sound when no one is around to hear it? lol

Bottom line is Yao Ming is a cash cow. He's the first real Asian star to hit it big in the NBA. Not just Chinese people, but other Asians root for him as well. In NBA terms, his effect is global and sport wide so his "cash cowness" washes over not just the Rockets, but also all NBA teams. I suspect Yao Ming contributes a lot to the ratings and advertisement gains, all of which are shared by all teams.

Specifically for the Rox, Yao Ming probably played a part in getting Toyota to invest in the Toyota Center. Asian company investing in a team with an Asian star...get it? Not to mention the shoe endorsements from Anta and Peak Yao Ming gets for the Rox players. Or are you saying Chuck Hayes really is so marketable a Chinese shoe company will make him their endorser? I suppose a huge chunk of the commercials and endorsements the Rox receive are also due to Yao Ming.

As for Les himself, Yao Ming is a cash cow simply because having him on their team instantly endears him to the entire Chinese community. Having Yao on the team means Chinese business men know who Les is when he contacts Chinese company X and asks to invest/do whatever it is he does.

As for Samfisher saying trading Yao Ming won't have an effect simply because Les has proven to be a good business partner...real life ain't that pretty. Business just like everything else is dominated by politics and relationships. Sure Les is a good business partner, but so is a gazillion other business people out there. Why the hell would they keep doing business with the person who traded their star player away when a bazillion other people are waiting in the wings? Expect the Peak/Anta endorsements to dry up once Yao Ming is no longer a member of the Rox.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I was curious when I saw that mention of Toyota being here because of Yao.

It seems every NBA game I see in other arenas, Toyota is prominently displayed, it seems to coincide with Toyota's push to get their name out there among NBA fans.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Here's an article on their Texas strategy from a few years back:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...5A25752C1A9609C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Hi margin V-8 Gas guzzlers like Tundras are made to sell in one market and one alone. Hint: It ain't Guangzhou.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I never said Yao should be traded, i said its about winning rings and what makes the team better vs a obscure "cash cow" type of deal. I've said it a million times that yao is more important to the league than to the rockets. He opens more doors to the nba owners including les that can help globalize the game. If yao's impact or money was directly to the rox, you wouldnt hear a word about how it manifest itself, but the nba has a revenue sharing concepts that helps smaller market/tv town compete with the larger ones. The biggest deal La or Ny has is the local cable deals. They can reach so many people in that 75miles radius that they can charge crazy money for sponsorships and broadcast. Maybe if people would read the revenue sharing , they would understand it better. BTW, i'd trade anyone if it made the rockets better, believe that.

11. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I got that and I believe that too, for you have repeated it for so many times. :)

You know what, I'd trade anyone too if it makes the team better. As i've said many times, I only consider LeBron and Kobe are must-keepers, everyone else can be moved if the right deal comes along.

As a Rockets fan and Yao Ming fan, I do want Yao to continue to work on his game and stay healthy and succeed with Rockets. However, if it's time for them to part, I hope Yao leave on good terms. What I am absolutely against is to trade for the sake of it, before we even have a concrete plan.

Meanwhile, we should also consider that Yao might have a say in the trade as well. Why? Nobody will trade their valuable assets for a one-year Yao. Just like when TMac wanted to be out of Orlando, he had a say as well. So if we do trade Yao, the deal has to satisfy Rockets and team has to be attractive to Yao. Those deals popping out every day here sending Yao to garbage teams are not going to work. Les and DM are not that dumb to totally piss off Yao like that, coz they might get very little afterward.

12. supermike

supermike Member

ok. so, what's your point? and what's the purpose of this thread?

Do you mean Yao is worth nothing except for his so-called "cash cow" hype?

Well, trade him if you were Les. I am very sick of the Rox fans like you. I would go if I were Yao.

Moreover, inspite of what people told you (which you don't believe), I just want to say, if you understood how Les makes money and all his financial details/plans, you would not be sitting in front of the computer initiating this kind of stupid threads!

So, save it.

Or, email Les to tell him to kick Yao out because he is nothing other than a hype.

13. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

A glance at the shoe deals yao brought

There're some discussion about yao's cash cow value on the board. I don't even want to mention all those Chinese company ads in the toyota center as you can see on TV, or the significant rockets website visitors which bring high ad value, or Les' investment in Anta(Chinese shoe company) which wouldn't be available to him without yao.

I just mention a couple shoe deals to the teammates.Although there're no detailed numbers, here're a couple links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Hayes

'Although not one of the league's premier players, in 2006 Hayes signed a shoe endorsement deal with Chinese athletic apparel company Li Ning. The deal was valued at $5 million.'

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19456353/page/3/

'The result was a three-year, seven-figure deal and a signature clothing line, the Battier Line, all promoted by Battier—and an $8 million annual budget.'

Be reminded they are not Tmac or Artest, Artest had a deal recently with a Chinese shoe company, and it'll only be much higher value. If we replace Tmac with a couple marginal stars, they are going to each have a 10 million deals over a few years as well based on what Hayes/Battier can get.

Now these can easily add up to at least 30-40 million extra income for yao's teammates over a few years. Better yet, they are not from Les' pocket and there's no luxury tax to pay.

To me, it's meaningless to debate yao's value. Even by basketball ability alone, he's worth over 12m a year if not max. If not for his injury issue, who wouldn't pay him max solely for his basketball talent?

14. Seth

Seth Member

Didn´t Scola get a deal as well??

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Scola and Steve Francis

16. www720

www720 New Member

I want to start my first post here.

I'm from Shanghai, China and 35 years old. I can stand for some middle level-income Chinese together with my friends here. we had our jobs or own business. we've built up our families. we enjoy our life and are looking for entertainment sometimes. we're not boys any more. you can imagine very few 'stars' can be our idol while Yao is there. I don't know if Yao is a cash cow, but I'm willing to do something as following:

I've bought Reebok shoes as gifts to my relatives. I chose Nike before.

when the CATV supplier promote their package to me, I only ask if it include the NBA channel, and never care about the monthly fee.

If there is some rockets preseason game here, I will buy tickets and never care about the price. but Yao should be there of course......

I don't know who can get benefit on these, just let it be

17. lewzhy

lewzhy Member

:cool: chinese shoe company,real estate investment
    don't forget this,
    red wine business
    [​IMG]

18. ibm

ibm Member

just like lebron, yao bring extra $$$ to his boss that most others won't be able to due his enormous popularity. i don't think this is even debatable.

otoh, yao as a bball player is an excellent one. that's where his value is and that's where his popularity comes from - together with his personality which has been admired by many fans around the globe. without him being a great player and a great person, he won't enjoy the popularity and won't be able to do what he does outside of bball. (just look at yi and other chinese/foreign players). i am saying this because many have thought yao is untouchable (which i don't think he is) only because he's been a cash cow. that is not true, either.

19. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

LOL, LeslieWine and Fanita, that's lame.

20. supermike

supermike Member

I agree. As one of the top 10 player in the league, do we need to question his value?