1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would the Rockets already be in WC Finals if they had Gay instead of Battier?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 15, 2009.

?

Would Rockets have moved to WC finals already if they didn't trade Gay for Batter?

1. Yes.

33 vote(s)
    6.4%
  2. No.

459 vote(s)
    88.4%
  3. They both great dreams.

27 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I doubt anyone will keep reading past that...

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That was my point, i guess i didnt explain it well though......what's underrated is how quick it gets processed. Yes teams know the plays and look over them, but that's usually done during practice, during film sessions, walk through, etc, but many players can't process it quickly enough during live action to know whats gonna happen before its too late, shane does it for them and gets it to them where they just have to react. I agree some plays, like a Nash pick and roll, will always succeed if executed well, but if it's like a back door play all it takes is the defender positioning himself well to completely stop it, and that's where it helps a lot.

3. natrix964909

natrix964909 Member

In the massive pile of FAIL that is this thread, your comment made me smile.

4. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

if u choose to stop reading after one sentence u must be one dumb idiot.

I think u missed my point, or maybe I was in a rush to type everything out I missed certain words that should have been emphasising my point.

okay...since u don't seem to get my point I will lay it out nice and simple:

--height and length---ie size...ARE FACTORS THAT HELPS IMPROVE BASKETBALL OFFENSE AND DEFENSE FIREPOWER.

--height and length are meaningless if u don't utilise them to do what u want to do. ie. you want to rebound. okay?? it helps ALOT if u are 7 foot instead of 6'8. However does that mean you will get more rebounds when u are 7 foot instead of 6'8??? no it doesnt!!!

--if u can achive that goal by going with a smaller size, you go with the smaller size!!! so u want height and length for what??? to rebound yeah??? what if that 6'8 guy can rebound better??!!!

SIZE MEANS NOTHING IF THEY CAN'T DO WHAT THE SIZE HELPS U TO DO!!!

man I hope u understood what I mean by now...

cos we could get 7 footers anywhere!!! height and length??? easy..just call up a bunch of 6'11 people from the dleague?? lets get brian cook to play PG!!! thats a lot of size right there!!!

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

agree with some oft he things you said, but the main reason why shane sees his own offense as a waste id because he believes others, who have more offensive skills, can be more efficient and do more with those attempts than he would, mainly Yao i'm assuming, but as we all know Yao hasn't been the offensive powerhouse we though he'd become. If he was able to get the ball consistently and get calls he'd average about 30-32 pts a game and shane's lack of offense would be irrelevant. That's pretty much how Shane saw it, you still get 10 more pts, but with better FG%. Of course that's not the case now that Yao is out, but it applies to the past..

6. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

I think this team as a whole would be different. I don't think we would even make the Artest deal if we had Gay.

But I did feel that we didn't get enough though when that draft day deal went down.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

you shouldn't call people idiots for reacting to something you wrote when you just admitted you may have left things out. I'm not a mind reader, i reply to what you write. Period. That's the way it works here, if you didnt mean it as literally as you wrote it then that was your mistake, not mine, correct yourself and move on instead of calling people names.

and you missed my point (which i did state), which was you can't just plug in values like that. Just because we need offense doesnt mean an offensive player would come in and fit like a piece on a puzzle. I wasn't serious about Swift being able to help us because of his length, that's why i stated it doesnt work that way. You completely went off about length and height though...it was an example to show how your reasoning was faulty, and not to talk about height and length..

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

:D Like I said, not the sharpest tool.

Yeah Kobe and Rudy Gay are totally the same player...people will take you seriously after that post...

9. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

like I'm going to say...u might be the most blunt tool... :D

dont try to pick bones from the egg.....I think u were just totally owned by your lack of argument you chose to focus on these random irrelevant things...

where did I say kobe and rudy gay are the same player??? guess someone likes to turn other people's words around to help his arugment..(or lack of argument due to stupidity)...

you said rudy gay is lazy and so as a consequence is not a better player for the rockets other than gay. so what??? hes lazy??? okay please I'd love to have a lazy 20 ppg scorer...I don't care if hes lazy or not...it simply means when he does get motivated hes probably gonna be top 15 nba)...

to simply clarify myself(meaning this isn't a counterargument to ur r****ded "rudy gay is lazy" arguement) I was simply trying to make the point kobe is accused of being lazy at times too but the bottom line is he is a great player no matter what...

actually ur pretty damn lazy(for not backing any of the bs ur making)...how can u say rudy gay is lazy??? anything to back that up???

omg he is lazy so even though he gets 20 ppg lets keep away... :D

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I disagree with you. I know Shane feels that they are more efficient players, but heck he did what Coach K asked of him.I know this the NBA and Shane wasn't going to be the Duke star here, but he made a greater effort on both ends in college and that is what was needed from him when he joined us.

When we got Shane,he was touted as being part of the big 3. If you don't believe me just look up CD's past quotes. That was of course just talk,the real reason was to take defensive pressure off from McGrady. That didn't prove to be enough by any means,a 30 plus Juwan Howard and even to some extent Deke had to carry the offensive load when Yao went down. There wasn't much input from Shane which earned criticism from his biggest backer JVG.

11. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

even though I may not have summed everything up in my first sentence properly...the point was if u gonna stop reading after one sentence u did not get the see the rest of the 20 or so sentences that was going to make that first sentence clear and explained to u...

ok. I really dont get what your saying. If you need offense you should find scorers. if u need rebounding you need to go get rebounders. its as simple as that. it may not work out perfectly such as bonzi wells, however more than likely its gonna work. we needed a PF...so we went out to get Luis and Carl...etc etc..

how else are you going to address weaknesses by not targeting that weakness and finding pieces that possess that weakness as their strength and can help u out by using their strength in that area to improve ur weakness???

I don't get what ur on about......so if OKC needs a defending/shotblocking power they shouldn't draft Thabeet?! if miami needs a PG shouldn't they go after a PG?? what r u saying???

we need offensive firepower right now and thats exactly what rudy gay can provide...big time...

whether he'd have developed to how good he is at this point as some people like to point out is another argument

12. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

They are totally different kind of players. I like Battier, he is better than Gay, and he is more suitable for the Rockets IMO. so my answer is Nooooo.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Rudy Gay got benched for lack of effort by ex coach Mark Iavaroni this past season. Look it up, genius. I've heard from Grizzlies fans/writers that say the same thing about him.

Just because you don't know it, does not mean it's not true. Just means you are clueless, which you're proving. :D

So...Kobe ever got benched for being lazy? :D

14. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

So I'm guessing Rudy Gay is now a 3rd string benchwarmer then...from the devastating tone u've put on this rudygayislazy thing... :D

Okay I have said...what if he is lazy?? SOOOO WAT MAN????!!!!!!!!!! Mr Smartass telling other people they are clueless when he just goes..yep..he is lazy so lets avoid his a$$!! can I ask u a simple question? tell rudy gay is lazy to this bbs and tell me what they say back to u...so he scores 20 ppg he is future superstar but ohh he is lazy so I hate him...who cares about him being the top scorer on his team...

so yep, sooo lets grab Renaldo Balkman instead of Rudy Gay then...I mean this guy is SUCH AN AWESOME HUSTLER...he defends like crazy!!! he goes after THAT loose ball so handsomely!!! OMG BALKMAN UR HUSTLE IS SO AWESOME YOUR HUSTLE GETS ME SOOO WET!!! LETS FORGET ALL ABOUT TALENT AND POTENTIAL!!! OH OH ANNND OFFENSIVE FIREPOWER OF 20PPG!!!
    :D

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

^^^didn't take meds^^^

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

ok I'll just sum up my point for u:

Laziness and motivation does not matter when your as good as Rudy Gay scoring 20 ppg 6rpg athletic freak who is a future superstar and arguably The Memphis Franchise. How do you expect him to play super hard and passionate when he knows his team has no chance of achieving anything in the season other than trying to lose as much as possible trying to get more pingpong balls into the lottery. Being on a playoff team under the guidance of great defensive-minded team-oriented coaches van Gundy and Adelman and with the presence of great veterans such as Yao Rudy will be a much harder working player and professional. We lack a consistent explosive go-to scorer now and the offense is suffering as a result now that Yao is out and Rudy Gay would've been able to fill that lack of offense greatly...

17. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

v3.0 has pEAnuTs in his brain. ( was too dumb to come up with anything useful anyways)

18. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

can u even be part of a proper discussion or debate??? I don't see any relevant words coming outta ur mouth other than these r****ded "insults"

19. rocketsqtc

rocketsqtc Member

Most irrelevant post ever. Lock it.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Better? How so? Compare to when?

It should be noted that the Lakers did get better vs. all teams since Battier's arrival in Houston in 2006-2007, particularly because they got Pau Gasol and Phil Jackson returned.