1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

is it just me....(sports radio rant)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by thacabbage, May 11, 2009.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

rome callers used to be great and when I listened that's what I listened for

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Some of the same ones that post on forums. :D

3. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

anyone that's that bored and is willing to hold for 5+ minutes just to speak 2 sentences on the radio is a loser

4. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

That would be Mike in DA..sad that I know who that is. Agree 100% that Rich Lord is a blow hard, nothing gets me reaching for the dial like hearing him suck air inbetween talking. "Blah blah blah blah SUUUUUUUUCCCCCCK Blah Blah Blah blah."

5. Poloshirtbandit

Mike. He must call every station in Houston. I've heard him on KCOH every time I turn to Ralph Cooper's show as well as 610 and 1560.

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

i completely disagree. it may not be your thing, and you may find it annoying, which is understandable, but there's a huge difference between an annoying shtick and just complete idiocy.

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

The absolute worst is the monument to stupidity that is something like the 'Two Minute Drill'.

Two mind numbing minutes of crap that alternates between inaudible screaming with the words 'Rockets' or 'Texans' thrown in or people who should never, ever, ever ever ever be comedians trying too hard to be just that.

I usually can't listen for more than a couple seconds.

Sometimes there are good callers into SR, but man when they are bad...they are horrible.

8. DreamRoxCoogFan

Yeah they started that up relatively recently, one of the WORST ideas ever.

9. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

A little harsh dont you think? I listen to sports radio (pretty much only Pallilo), and have called in as well. I dont think I am a loser. While I will agree that most callers do not have much to bring to the discussion there are some very good calls. Most of the time I find the shows informative. I personally have had some good debates with Pallilo.

Now, I will not listen to 610 when Rich Lord is on. He is absolutely the worst and is completely uninformed. I just think it hard to bang on Sports Radio and the callers when the shows and interviews are usually pretty entertaining. I loved listening to Daryl Morey every Wednesday this season.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

People calling in general to any radio show seem to be from another wavelength altogether. They really don't seem normal. Like who the hell has time to wait 30 minutes to get on the air. You either have to be either unemployed or retired. I thought when the internet came around and forums like these were more well known, the radio caller would disappear. I guess some people don't know how to use the computer.

11. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Let's have some fun with it. See who can get the most outrageously silly take on air.

12. updawg

updawg Member

you guys must not be listening to the monsters of the midday. that show is awesome :rolleyes:

13. hitman21

hitman21 Member

I could not agree more. How he is on the radio during drive time is joke.

14. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

is there a way we can get rich lord off the air? he's boring as hell, and makes me switch the station. he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. i wish management knew how much he is hated so they'd take his ass off the air

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

it amazes me how rich lord has somehow managed to hang onto his job. it just shows a complete lack of professionalism when you refuse to get with the times and make some semblance of an attempt to edify yourself with even the very basics of your field when your "job" is to present yourself as an expert for the public. you can tell the extent of his immersion is watching the games and reading the paper. i remember accidentally turning on his show a few years ago to hear him not know what the MLE was. i don't mean how much it was - i mean he literally didn't understand the basic concept behind what the MLE was.

16. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

really?

1310 the ticket is greatness
    some shows on 105.3 the fan are ok too

17. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Another thing I can't stand about 1560 the game, and to a lesser extent 790 (especially the monsters show) is the irritating "drunken frat boy chat radio" shtick. They are barely better than the callers sometimes. You can rarely find intelligent analysis -- all they do is pander to the lowest common denominator and drool over naked pictures. You can almost feel your brain cells rotting away while you listen.

It's disgusting. It's the main reason why I've never been able to listen to 1560 for more than 3 minutes and I don't even bother anymore. Despite their many flaws at least 610 tries to keep things professional most of the time and some of their hosts like Wex and Jackson actually sound intelligent.

18. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I see your point, I wasn't calling Romes kronies idiots, just not a fan of everyone trying to be a smack of champion everytime they call in. Not to mention they all seem to read off a prewritten script.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is my biggest problem with 1560. It just gets old really fast.

I don’t know, when John and Lance were on 610 in the mornings, the whole ‘drunken fratboy’ shtick was definitely there, but it seemed more natural back then, if that makes sense. It was a great way to start the morning.

Now that they’re on 1560, it just seems so forced and contrived that it’s not really believable anymore. And it seems to carry over into the other shows as well, which of course makes it even MORE forced and contrived.

When they left 610 and were replaced by Mark and Andre, I couldn’t believe it. I gave that show a month before it got cancelled. But Mark has really surprised me. He’s clearly tried to expand his overall sports knowledge to more than just Texans football. I get the feeling he really takes his job seriously and is constantly trying to get better.

Andre is still close to unlistenable, but the show overall has grown by leaps and bounds since the first day IMO.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Yeah, I can't count the number of times Matt Jackson has asked Rich Lord a simple question like "man, did you see the (insert major sporting event here) game last night?" and Rich Lord will be like "nope, what happened?" It's so obvious that he does nothing to make himself even semi-informed about what's going on in the sports world, and it drives me nuts. At least show that you care a LITTLE....especially about Houston sports. I remember the other day, I was listening and he literally goes "I want rational, objective Houston fans to call in and tell me who they think is gonna win the series. Take off your Rockets tinted sunglasses, and THEN call in." Matt was like "So basically, you want people to call in and tell you the Lakers are gonna win the series....why the hell would they do that?"

The best show on sports radio was by far the Night Shift with Wex and Matt Jackson, followed closely by Adam Clanton. I'm sad that they broke Matt and Wex up. I love Charlie, but when it's the middle of a huge playoff run for the Rockets, and your show STILL only brings in callers who want to talk about the Astros pitching woes, you know you have a pretty undiverse fanbase. I feel like the only people who call into Charlie's show are middle-aged men who only watch baseball.