1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Give me a BREAK!!...Odom's Off. FOUL!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bilaal14, May 11, 2009.

1. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

2. ccada

ccada Contributing Member

What a joke. I wonder what this guy had to say about Fisher bulldozing Scola in game 2 . .

3. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

Don't worry, the writer got torched in the comment section.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's a valid perspective. He acknowledges that its legal, but it is also dangerous. Hard to dispute that, considering the results. Odom didn't have much time to change his momentum and avoid the collision.

5. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

dude is an idiot

odom seen he was going to foul shae and chose to elevate as high as he could hoping he could avoid the laws of physics and somehow levitae over shane and dunk the ball while avoiding contact with shane, lamar odom could have tucked that ball into his pocket and just absorbed the foul without trying maximum elevation

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

odom was wreckless in twisting and turning which caused him to ennd up landing on his back..

7. ccada

ccada Contributing Member

I can see your point, but what really turned me off to the article was the comparison to the Ariza/Fernandez foul. IMO, it's ridiculous to make that comparison, as almost taking a player's head off when he is in the air flying towards the basket is a lot different than Shane stepping in front of Odom.

8. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

"Just admit it: You're worried about that $500 you put on the Lakers."

I love it ... :D

9. bloop

bloop Member

in that line of thinking it would be a "valid perspective" that lacing up your shoes and stepping on the court is dangerous. every time you stand there and take a charge is dangerous, every time you go up and contest a layup it's dangerous

deconstructing that statement logically... it's like saying "he got hurt, so it proves it was dangerous." nope. there's many instances where in similar plays where 2 players collide, dudes get hurt in one instance and are fine in the other instance. it could be how they land, the condition of their bodies, or simple fate.

all you can truthfully say in that instance is that 1) Battier made a gutsy legal play and that 2)Odom landed hard

any other inferences you draw like it was "dangerous" is dramatics at best and baiting at worst

what game are you watching where defensive plays and even FOULS are given with the primary consideration of helping the other player "change his momentum and avoid the collision." you realize the entire point of taking a charge is to CREATE the collision in the defensive player's advantage right?

10. bloop

bloop Member

his point is that sports are "dangerous"

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Nice Post. Nothing more to discuss.

\thread

12. droxford

droxford Member

Lakers fans are such crybabies.

Battier clearly has position LONG before Odom leaves the ground as can be seen from this screen cap. He did NOT undercut Odom. This is a normal way to draw a charge and occurs during every NBA game. Nothing reckless or dangerous about it. Odom just fell down hard.

[​IMG]

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And Battier didn't have any time to bail from the charge and act as a human matress pad for Mr. Odom. Works both ways. Shane was in time, Odom went up and took his chances. Just one of those things in basketball. They happen.

edit: And things like this happen!!

[​IMG]

#13 Deckard, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

My point is that the defensive tactic of drawing charges can be dangerous, because you're forcing a situation where a collision is almost unavoidable. In this instance, Shane slid into position a fraction of second before Odom got off his feet. Great timing and heady defense by Shane, but it is a dangerous play.

If Derek Fisher did the same thing to Carl Landry, for instance, I'd say the exact same thing.

15. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Lamar is the biggest loser in game 4. At least he wouldn't be trash-talking then.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"He stayed down for a few minutes, and then left the game due to the injury, one that was still hurting [linky to Lamar's real twitter page] after the flight home, and one that could keep him out of a pivotal Game 5 on Tuesday." :rolleyes:

I am going to go out on a limb and say this MO FO is lying about the "down for a few minutes" thing. It may have been ONE minute, maybe one point five, but not "down for a few minutes." I will watch the game again tonight to see how long he took.

That writer's on crack and I want some of it if... no, never mind, I don't do drugs. :eek:

17. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

Lamar is the biggest no show(or maybe Bynum) for the lakers this series. Ronnie has been shutting his ass down.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Seriously. Talk about karma being a biatch. I have no sympathy for Odom whatsoever, seeing as how it was also a clean play from the get-go and he can only blame himself for trying to get the dunk over what should have been an easy 4ft hook.

19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

so the point of your post was to let us know that simply playing sports is dangerous.

thanks for the groundbreaking news, buddy.

20. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

The NBA Playoffs : "where a collision is almost unavoidable"

Should we start putting gymnastics mats down on the floor and start having Little Debbie snacks and Capri Suns after the games too.