1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2009 NHL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BrooksBall, Apr 30, 2009.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

The Penguins completely deserved that game. After about the 10 min mark of the 1st period, they totally took it to us. We could have gotten lucky and won thanks to Varlamov but it would have been about as lucky a win as I've ever seen.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

absolutely. The Caps played like crap, the Pens played well and attacked all game long. Malkin woke up and was pretty freaking awesome..

annoying to see it go in off a Caps player deflection, but that's the way the bounces go sometimes.

Tough to take the OT loss followed by the Rockets game.. I'm still up..

3. Bruins&RedSox21

Interesting to see the Caps-Pens responses in here. Meanwhile, my Bruins are pretty much completely dead now. Of course, if they win Game 4, it'll be back on track a little bit more, but for now, doesn't look too promising right now. Cam Ward was amazing in Game 2. Giving credit where credit is due. Until the Bruins are eliminated, "GO GO, BLACK & GOLD!"

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

It's getting pretty quiet in here. ;)

5. kaleidosky

sorry, I came to Houston for Game 3.. so a) don't get Versus here and b) Was at the game last night

Only got updates from friends and my phone.. but sounded like a disappointing one.

I'm still confident in a 3 game series with 2 at home.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Geno with the OT game winner. BOOYAH!!!!! :cool: :D

(The only thing that can possibly salvage my night with the news about Yao)

7. surrender

surrender Member

Of all the teams to choose from in the NHL, why did I choose to become a Canucks fan

8. kaleidosky

i didn't see it cause i'm still in houston, but f'ing ridiculous. seriously, off a defender in OT again? And apparently Steckel missed an empty net in OT? Ugh.. horrible.

I'm still hopeful. But I can't say I'm confident after the Caps no-showed in Pitt somewhat.

This has been a horrible weekend. At least I know I was screwed even if I chose to stay in DC and watch the Caps (as opposed to coming home for Game 3)

9. North Star

North Star Contributing Member

It's do or die for the Bru-crew. I think they can come back and win the series. I hope they do. Not that they are not trying. It's just not every effort turns into goal.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

The Pens v Caps games was unbelievable...Ovechkin is a beast...so gifted its scary...

11. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

He is the best player on the ice everytime, he's gritty and flashy, never seen this combo before. If anyone isn't a hockey fan but wants to see some really good games, this PEns/Caps series should be it.

12. North Star

Boston is still alive. When Chara went down, that scared the living crap out of me. He came back later in the game. All is good. Phil Kessel finally comes through with 2 goals. They needed him to come through and he's going to have to keep on keeping on. Poor Aaron Ward. I hope Scott Walker gets suspended for the rest of the series. You don't **** with the Bruins. The Bruins **** with you. That's the way it goes.

13. North Star

Game 7 is on in the nation's capital.

14. tigereye

tigereye Member

Man what a series.....the Pens take the lead in the 3rd. Then the Caps counter with 2 goals in 29 seconds, only for the pens to send it into OT. then Steckel on the re-direction for the game winner in OT.

If this series were on ESPN (or ****, NBC) the NHL would be back in a big way. I mean, Im at BWW's in Cypress, TX and there were Pens and Caps fans on the edge of their seats tonight. Great stuff to see!

BTW, Houston needs a hockey team, there are so many northern transplants here here like myself, its a mistake for hockey to be in Nashville and not be here. People can call for Hamilton, Winnipeg, and Quebec all they want....the NHL here would succeed here like it has done in Dallas cause Texas is one of the 3 population centers in the US. Les....get it done!

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Un-f'n-believable...If this were on ESPN/ABC, people would appreciate it more...but alas, it's Versus...

16. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

It just got pretty quiet in Mellon Arena. :D

I kid. Pittsburgh has totally outplayed the Caps in this series. They have dominated puck possession and scoring chances since Game 1. They are the better team. No matter how Game 7 ends up, the Caps have a lot of issues to address for next season.

And Malkin is just sick. Crosby is awesome, too, but there is no player in the league that is craftier and more difficult to knock off the puck than Malkin. Every time the puck is on his stick, I get extremely nervous. As far as I'm concerned, he is the most talented player in the league.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

the canucks/blackhawks game was great. kane's goal to secure the game/hat trick was awesome.

18. North Star

The current TV deal on Versus ends in 2011. ESPN won't be an option because they have the NBA till 2016. Perhaps TBS could jump into the picture?

19. kaleidosky

Agreed on both counts. Well, Ovie is a different type of talented. Malkin doesn't have the physicality to his game.. but man, you're right--he can get through crowds like no other with the puck. It's amazing he was held down in Games 1 and 2..thankfully so.

Maybe not so coincidentally, I think the Caps outplayed the Pens in the 1st 2 games. So how's about Brashear makes the lineup for Game 7 and knocks some sense into Malkin? ;) Actually no, he needs to deck Kunitz for the shot to Varly's throat that has gone unpunished thus far.

I'll be at Game 7 tomorrow...CAN'T WAIT

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

is there any major dish/cable company that doesn't get versus?