1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What to do with Gasol?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apollo33, May 10, 2009.

1. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Oh yeah baby. :cool:

2. hayibara Ai

hayibara Ai Member

foul him out :D :D :D

3. CoolGui

CoolGui Member

Did anyone notice how he was camping in the paint most of the second half? I guess the 3 second count doesn't start for Gasol. Maybe call that to the leagues attention? :D

4. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I thought we are talking basketball, not read from the stat sheet.

You don't compare how many points each of them score if you know basketball, because they have different roles within their separated teams. LA runs a motion offense which demands ball movement based on the spots on the floor, not specific individual. So if Gasol was not in the position to score, you won't see that from the stat sheet. On the other hand, the Rockets looks for Yao FIRST every trip down on the floor, so he has much more scoring opportunity than Gasol.

When LA did decide to run ISO with Gasol, Yao was quickly in foul trouble. It's just that it's not the way the LA likes to run, but they can do that, and they did some in this series, as the result, Yao was in taken out of the game due to foul trouble.

5. LoneStarRebel

LoneStarRebel Member

If Gasol drops 30 a night but we still hold the other lakers to 50....we'll win. It's pretty inevitable, if Kobe has an off night, expect Pau to pick up the slack...just as long as we keep the other laker bishez in check we'll pull out the 'w' (assuming we do our job on the offensive end, that is)

6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Hayes is so appreciated. he just has to make sure he reserve his fouls. He can be foulin all willy-nilly anymore. we need him to stay in the game :) . i actually wanted him to stay in the whole game.

7. ibm

ibm Member

not true, either. if gasol can run yao into foul trouble everytime, then the lakers will get it done first thing every time.

yao also out-rebounded gasol.

8. Yakapo

Yakapo Member

I was going to start a similar thread...

This is my number 1 concern for game 5. (gasol going for 30 again) However, I'll take it if we can hold Kobe to similar numbers again.

I don't think fronting is the answer... he's too mobile. We have to sandwich him the way the sonics used to sandwich the dream when he tried to post up. (can someone post a video?)

9. diegot143

diegot143 Member

punch him in the ovary

10. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

I think we try to play similar to how they tried to play Yao in game 1. As soon as he puts the ball on the floor we get a guy over to him every once in a while to make him second guess. There were several times where Gasol was able to get deep post position or back down Chuck Hayes. This is what I am worried most about in Game 5. It is just very unfortunate for us that both of our Center's are out.

11. BigBull17

BigBull17 Member

I think the physicality of the series could be wearing on him.

12. Yakapo

Yakapo Member

excellent point.

13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Maybe we can get Kobe to give him an elbow somehow.

14. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

From what I have seen of Adelman, he'll probably stick to the same game plan on Pau which is single coverage with Hayes. The Rockets will most likely double team rather than front if he goes crazy.

I'm really more concerned about what the Lakers game plan will be on AB than holding Pau. The simplest way to win the game is to just score more if you can't stop them. I have this feeling they'll start fouling AB hard early to discourage him from driving inside.

15. rocketsmetalspd

Gasol will not have back to back 30pt game. Hayes just needs to do his thing. It will be Kobe that will go off in game 5. The Rockets should not get down when he does. Make Kobe into a volumen shooter and the Rockets will have a good chance to win. Rockets by 6.

16. ibm

ibm Member

i agree. how to keep up the scoring pace with the lakers is a bigger concern in game 5.

but ab doesn't look like a guy that will actually back down from hard fouls. plus he got most of his points from stop-and-pop j's and 3's today.

17. ibm

ibm Member

gasol has the ability to get back-to-back 30 points games. more likely than ab to say the least, realistically. and it's unlikely kobe will have another stinker on offense 2 in a row.

man, i don't know what i am saying. i guess game 5 is gonna be a lot tougher for us. that's all.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I found it the height of irony (the line popped into my head when Ridley Scott said I was a replicant). Yes, the height of irony that Mister Whiny Flopmaster, Jr. would say those 5 greats were his idols, since I don't recall them whining and flopping. Hakeem? Jordan? Magic? Bird? (who was the 5th?) They didn't whine and flop. Would put a dagger in your heart as soon as look at you, though.

19. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Chuck did a great job on Pau in the first 3 quarters. But don't expect him to do exactly the same thing to Pau in the land of the Fakers. He's going to get into foul trouble. So Chuck and Scola will have to share the burden. Scola need to hold his ground against Pau.

20. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

Gasol would go right over Artest.