1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just admit it already....we NEED a HEALTHY McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JSUB11, May 9, 2009.

1. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Haha. True. Tmac and health like water and oil. Obviously we need the healthy Tmac :rolleyes: problem is he rarely healthy. Even when his body is in good shape his heart won't cooperate. Maybe next year, who know?

2. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

we need the tmac from the 22 game winning streak!!!

3. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

We need a HEALTHY and MENTALLY TOUGH McGrady.

Unfortunately, that person does not exist.

4. gamor

gamor Member

for the first time I do agree with u, T-mac 1

the players I only think of as playmaker wings are lebron and wade,lol
    no it is not realistic

5. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

We do not want Ben Gordan. Yeah he hits clutch shots but he also jacks up tons of terrible shots, only plays defense when he feels like it, and is undersized. We already have too many undersized players (Brooks, Scola, Landy, Hayes, etc.). He's basically a better version of Von Wafer that's going to want $12 million a year.

6. JSUB11

JSUB11 Member

I'd take Ron Artest over Odom on this team any day. Ron single handedly changed the complexion on this team this season and took us to a whole different level of toughness.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Very true, but he also takes as much as he gives. You have to wonder at a certain point if that extra toughness is worth his questionable shot selection and overdribbling, as well as his gambling on D. I think we have enough tough players to maintain some of that toughness, like Landry, scola, and Lowry. Toughness only takes you so far, skill is often better, just look at the Lakers. Odom gives a post up and outside game, much needed length and rebounding and occasional shot blocking. Not to mention he does it within the flow of the game.

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Didnt some of us think a healthy Yao was an "oxymoron" at some point? Not saying McGrady will ever be healthy enough to be counted on, but its not too wrong to speculate what "could" have been...We're not talking about Steve Francis or Bob Sura here, its actually about a guy who played on the court this year and was penciled in as a contributor. Just saying if McGrady comes back to the NBA at all and plays 65 games, if the Rockets lose we're gonna look back and say "if only McGrady was healthy"

But screw him right now. This team does have its needs. A steady point guard, a B-level playmaking swingman (like a YOUNG Brent Barry and up), and length at the 4 & 5 positions.

9. Rockets_blood

Rockets_blood Member

tmac looked great tonight...

nice vest
    :cool:

10. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

Have not been out of the first round in 12 years. Ron comes and we get out. End of story really. He is the reason.

11. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

We need the t-mac that carried the 8 seed magic to a 3-1 lead over the 1 seed pistons.

12. dafranchise0309

People that say we DON'T need are idiots. Say what you want about Tmac and his heart or lack there of but when it came to playoff time he never under performed. The lakers are well rounded team with a superstar swingman and a decent center. We are not, you cannot compare Artest and Mcgrady. Mcgradys offensive skills are way better, yes even at 75% healthy or on one leg he would find ways to contribute to the team on the offensive side. I agree with the OP in that we DO need him.

Some may say that we should just replace the 20 mil, but I still cannot see a reasonable trade/signing where we would get the better end of the deal. Tmac get well soon and we'll all be happy after you lead us to the finals ;)

13. rockets86

rockets86 Member

YOU MEAN we need someone LIKE a healthy McGrady. A healthy McGrady does not exist anymore. Don't put your hopes on this guy.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

that's a really narrow way of looking at it. Lowry also came this year, maybe he's the reason? Or Wafer?

Seriously though, this team was just another scoring option away from getting out, whether that was tmac or ron I dont think it would matter. Personally i'm not content just getting out of the first. If we want more we need to be efficient and Ron only brings that for like 2 games in a series, that's not gonna cut it. Not to mention a healthy tmac or a replacement will take over the same role Ron had offensively (let's face it, he became more of a perimeter option than an inside presence this year, so a two guard can do the same), so Ron would be redundant. A guy like Odom gives us a new and unique option.

I like ron, but we also have to consider his reputation. I myself believe he's changed for the better and the past is just that, the past, but the league doesn't forget that easily. Ron is always going to be physical, that will never change, he's always going to be outspoken on and off the court. That's enough for the league to have a chance at throwing ejectios, fines, and fouls his way, just like they've shown this series. Do we really want to worry about that every time he gives a hard foul or opens his mouth? At this rate, he's going to be serving bogus suspensions in the playoffs and that's not going to help this team.

15. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

I think Ron's defense is very underrated my most Rockets fans.

16. yaorta

yaorta Member

i admit it, but t-mac is never healthy, do you admit?

17. gdepster

gdepster Member

Without a scorer/playmaker like T-mac the team has to play perfect to win against a team like the Lakers. Tonight they didn't offensively. Artest and Yao had off nights and Aaaron didnt contribute much either. I doubt you see anything close to the old Tracy ever again. Microfracture takes a long time to get back from and you usually need about 2 years to fully recover from it. I dont think he plays next year till around the All-star break or even later.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Not really, it's been pointed out throughout the season the mistakes he's done on D. I myself have posted video, especially against LA of the defensive letdowns Ron has had. The thing is when he plays D it's highlight reel type D, so its gets blown up and everyone is talking about how great D he plays, but the times he doesnt play great d aren't blown up, so many dont notice.

The 3 biggest issues he's had on D are:

-Not putting his hand up when defending a jumpshot....he does it more than half the time, but it seems like on big shots you catch him looking up at the shooter without a hand up. For a guy with his defensive rep, there's no excuse for not having a hand up every time.

- He gambles. He goes for steals, even when he has no chance at getting them, and that allows players to drive by him and get opne looks. Most fans will remember the game where Kobe baited him into going for a ball rolling on the floor, ron went for it, Kobe picked it up and spun in one motion, drilling a wide open 3. He also has a tendency to go for the reach around a player after he's beat off the dribble. He tries to poke the ball from behind and if he doesnt get it, he just watches the ball handler take it inside. Recently he's been better about chasing after him though.

- He doubles players when he doesnt have to, leaving his guy open, forcing a teammate to slide over to cover him, therefore another teammate has to slide over to watch THAT guy's man, and so on, the defense is then scrambling and the opposing team gets a good look.

19. JSUB11

JSUB11 Member

We dont need 100% healthy TMac, b/c like you guys have said, that's never gonna happen.

I said we need a half-vintage McGrady. The one that played in the playoffs LAST year on one leg. Even THAT McGrady dropped 40 on the Utah j*zz.

20. HookemHorns1250

I've had my ups and downs on how I feel about T-Mac. I, along with many people were furious on how he handled the situation this year. However, it also made me think about the times that he did bust his butt for this team. Every playoff series that he's been apart of us and was healthy, he gave it his all. He single handedly forced Utah into a game 6 last year. Those that wish to bash T-mac, that's ok, they have the right to voice their opinion, but also realize what he did do for this team, instead of refusing to ignore it.

Yes, it's frustrating that he gets hurt a lot, I get just as upset as the rest of you. But, to say a healthy T-Mac would not help this team, is just plain stupid. We need a threat at the perimeter. I noticed some people talking about our offense just looking completely lost, and the Lakers looking as if they have a set play every time. You want to know why that is? Because they have #24, and #1 for us is on the bench. McGrady made things happen, he made our offense run smoother when he was healthy. It's not a coincidence that the year Tracy goes out is the year teams are able to front Yao with ease. They can't do that with Tracy, because they would not be able to stop his penetration. Wow, sorry for the novel didn't know I had written this much. :D