1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Needs Dream's "bump" To Help Post-Up Positioning

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SwoLy-D, May 6, 2009.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yao Needs Dream's "bump" To Help Post-Up Positioning

I know most of you older folks and those who see 90's highlights will remember Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon's post-up shoulder push move he did when playing against the tougher and better centers of the late 90's such as Shaq, Ewing, Mutombo, Robinson, Eaton, Duckworth, et.al.:

When coming back from a defensive possession (whether a steal, a rebound, inbounding the ball, etc.), Dream would bump his shoulder into the opponent or defending center's chest to get some room. He would do this enough to inflict some discomfort, get position, then receive the ball. He was the master of this. Watch some old videos, maybe complete games of the Rockets, when Dream would do it. It is something I also do if trying to post a smaller defender in a pick-up game. It works.

I understand that nowadays Yao doesn't get much credit or respect for his game, and might be called for an offensive foul. Most refs don't call fouls on opponents when Yao's getting mugged out there ("And again, no foul called" - Worrell, Bullard, etc.) so I can see how he could be called for doing this.

Maybe I sort of miss Dream so much, I want Yao to be just like him... but I don't know how much he could do to improve his game. I know that this would be one move that would improve his post-up positioning, and would stop many defenders from fronting him.

Shaq had that elbow to the chest the refs didn't call. I don't remember any other signature moves from big men that seemed illegal, but I believe that if Yao learned how to do this, he would scare the heck out of opponents.

I mentioned this to xcharged earlier today while getting some coffee... and it got me thinking about asking you all. Yes, I know YAO will probably not read this and it may be too late in the season... but... I just knew it was something I knew was missing from Yao's moves... and wanted to see what you all thought...

What do you guys think? Should he start doing this? Would you agree that this would help him set up on the low blocks more than just waiting for opponents to front him? :confused:

First time I start a thread in the HR2009GARM in a LONG time... here goes nothing... :cool:

2. Ashes

Ashes Member

Yao's height would make it look much more like an offensive foul than Hakeem.

3. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

Sounds like a good way for Yao to foul out.

4. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

I totally understand what you're saying. Yao does this a little bit, he usually drives his hip into the other player to get early and deep post position. Problem is, like you alluded to is that he gets called for offensive fouls when he does this because it seems unusual to the refs that he's suddenly initiating all of this contact when he's mostly a finesse player. Yao is stepping up as a leader and gradually remolding his game to a combination of power and finesse. I really liked a lot of the spins and drop moves he did in game 1, which I felt were neglected in the past two years.

The great thing with Yao is that he seems to be always getting better ever year if he doesn't get injured. Although, his production this year is less than two years ago, he's arguably a much better player. And according to Morey, this is the best Yao Houston has ever seen. In the playoffs, he is proving Morey's theory to be correct. So, hopefully this sight of seeing Yao improving every year won't end anytime soon.

5. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Yao's been doing a variation of that for years.

After a defensive possession, he'll run down the court, directly to his spot on the post and bump the guy who is waiting for him. You could see this in our series with Portland where he would bump Pryzbilla chest with his side in order to create space on the post. He has been called for offensive fouls on this move every now and then.

6. Super Von

Super Von Member

Everyone needs to stop comparing him to Hakeem. He's not Hakeem.

Most likely there will never be another Hakeem. Those guys dont come around very often.

As soon as everyone stops expecting him to replace the dream we can all watch a great player play ball.

7. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

was there as many flopping centers back then? Was the defender much smaller than dream back then?

8. JSUB11

JSUB11 Member

I'd like to see Hakeem try that against Okur or Pryzbilla. :D

9. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Have you seen the offensive fouls call on Yao? Almost of his "push-off" calls are jokes compare to what they allow opponents to do to Yao. But his game is fine and we can't afford him being in foul trouble.

10. SwoLy-D

I am NOT comparing him. I am simply saying he can pick this up from Hakeem, sir. :eek: I hope you understand that I don't want Yao to be Hakeem. I have always said he's the 2nd coming of DREAM, that he's the Hero [that] will save us, I'm not going to stand in the way (Tito, give me some tissue! - name that movie).

Just in case you didn't catch it earlier, I said that if he learns how to do this [effectively and without getting called for a foul], he will be feared.

Aittle bump here and there. Do it lightly the first few times... learn how to manage your fouls if already in foul trouble... etc. You know? :)

11. xcharged

xcharged Member

Dammit we need Dream to coach the Bigman.

The spark his presence would give the team is "incalculacable"

12. Ashes

Ashes Member

Me too. He'd succeed.

13. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Hakeem was delivering a shoulder to the chest of guys like Robinson, Ewing, Shaq. Guys where were his size, sometimes bigger.

With the height disparity between Yao and his defender, he'd have to literally bend down in order to deliver his shoulder to the chest.

Yao has actually done this on occasion while backing his man down, with the ball in his hands. I usually see him do it from the left block, turning left into the lane for the jump hook or fadeaway. Often the defender either falls or flops. Rarely will the defender take the bump and try to finish the play on his feet. Outside of Shaq, there is such a big wieght disparity between Yao and his defender, the flop is believable.

It seems you're talking about Yao giving the shoulder to create space before getting the pass. I still think the defender would exaggerate contact. I imagine the pass would have to be perfectly timed after the bump, because the defender recovers quicker than Yao.

14. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

swoly fails, back to the hangout, i'll walk you there, we'll even hold hands

15. JSUB11

JSUB11 Member

Ya, he would. Rumor has it Okur attended Juilliard to hone his graceful movements.

16. SwoLy-D

Royals... :( not like this... not like this...
    nice one, freaker

Yes, Nolen, I mean before the pass. This is a slight push, if anything, to create position... not a DEEP SHOULDER INTO THE CHEST move. It should be light, enough to get the under-the-upper-body position for a bounce "inlet" pass to the block, etc. If he does it wth the ball in his hands, it has to be bump and fadeaway, like he does against Mehmet Uglykur in the where will amazing happen? commercial. :eek: You got it, sir.

17. SwoLy-D

Saw a little bit of this last night, but it's not as effective as Dream's or Shaq's little push to get position. I expect Yao to notice that they're not calling every foul and take advantage. :eek:

18. cson

cson Contributing Member

True, but we are witnessing him becoming a pretty good Yao!

and Swoly is right, Yao needs to find a way to "create some room", as the X's and O's say.

19. DaRrEnZhAnG

DaRrEnZhAnG Member

I agree.
    Yao can only dream that he will get the ball.
    Even when he post up deep down low in the paint, RA's son AB wont pass the XXXX ball to him. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. DaRrEnZhAnG

DaRrEnZhAnG Member

Keep dreaming, Yao.