1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MVP of Playoff Round 1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lwqbulb, May 3, 2009.

?

Who is the MVP of Playoff Round 1?

1. Yao Ming

43.9%
  2. Luis Scola

41.4%
  3. Shane Battier

6.9%
  4. Ron Artest

1.9%
  5. Aaron Brooks

0.8%
  6. Chuck Hayes

0.6%
  7. Carl Landry

0.1%
  8. Von Wafer

1.2%
  9. Kyle Lowry

0.4%
  10. Dikembe Mutombo

2.8%
  1. blender

blender Member

Or low. If it were just relative to expectations, Shane Battier should be MVP. You knew our Friend from Argentina would bring it, but who would've expected Battier to put up 14 and 16 points in Games 3 and 4?

2. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

What's your expectation for our friend from Argentina then? I certainly expect him to rebound well, and to shoot better than 2/6 from the free throw line.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is stupid to say that since someone voted for player 'A' in an online poll that means they hate player 'B'.

4. lastmanstanding

What about his stellar FG% and ppg? All above season avg. Are you bashing him because he almost has as many votes as Yao in a poll that means nothing?

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Those are definitely merits for consideration. But did you ignore the other categories?

"Bashing" is a loaded word, the right one is "evaluate."

6. Rockie_rocker

Rockie_rocker Member

this is the answer.

7. lastmanstanding

He improved statistically in 5 categories, and did worse in 4. He definitely played well, and provided good defense.

8. blender

blender Member

It was written tongue-in-cheek. I meant Scola's offense wasn't surprising because you knew the guy had it in him. But considering our low expectations for Battier's offense, his sudden transformation into an offensive juggernaut - at least for those two games - probably even shocked his teammates. Hence, he gets the MVP for overachievement.

BTW if you're going to point out Scola's going 2/6 from the free-throw line for that one game, you should probably mention he went 13/16 in the other five games.

9. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Wouldn't it be called overachievement award or most improved player award?

But bad free throw shooting was one of the biggest reasons we lost in Game 2. If Yao missed a free throw in a tight game, he would be equally scrutinized -- the Houston-Dallas series come to mind.

10. Meepo

Meepo Member

Scola surprise me indeed :eek: ,but Yao is more effective :cool: ,so I vote Yao

11. lastmanstanding

What award are you talking about. This is just a poll of people's opinions, and for some reason, you have something against people thinking Scola was the MVP of the series.

12. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I counted 10 and am pretty sure Yao did similarly (in terms of number of categories in which he improved).

BTW I see a lot Scola voters keep throwing the term "consistency" around when they are praising their man, could you care to explain, semi-statistically if you can, what does it mean?

#172 wnes, May 4, 2009
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
  13. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Oh boy, don't get into what blender and I are discussing. "Against people" is another one you should avoid using.

14. leonking

leonking Rookie

As aways, whoever can get more points is the MVP. That's why Yao is less important than Tmac, Scola and Brooks in fans' eyes.

15. blender

blender Member

Whatever floats your boat, my friend. ;)

I'm saying since this is about overall performance in a series, don't point out just one bad game to support your argument while not giving Scola credit for his other games.

That's like talking about Yao's field-goal percentage and saying we almost lost Game 3 because Yao shot 2/7 (28.6%), while neglecting to mention that he went 39/57 (68.4%) in the other five games.

16. hotsouthtree

hotsouthtree Member

What does MVP mean?
    If it counts the ratio of the salary with contribution, Scholar is MVP of the team.
    If it just counts the contribution (importance), blind people will select other player instead of Yao.

17. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

If we lost Game 3, Yao's poor FG% is certainly going to be under the magnifying glass.

Overall performance is fine, but game-wise stats are more important. An analogy is if Rockets blew out Blazers by 30 points in one game, but ended up losing other 4 by 1 or 2 points, you can't really say we are the better team since we outscore our opponents by more than 20 points in the series.

18. blender

blender Member

And just to clarify, wnes, I was just joking about Battier and his offensive prowess, because personally, I think it's kind of silly to talk about MVPs for first round series.

And as I wrote before, if you asked anyone on the team, I think there would be no argument as to who the most valuable player of the Rockets is, and how he has been performing.

19. NBAlover

NBAlover Member

you got it. MVP means value.

if we don't have Yao, everything would be different and more difficult. but without Scola, we would probably lose one more game, that's it. this is MVP means.

20. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Understood and appreciated, but this is a fan board and I'd like to get technical sometimes. :p