1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

a way to stop kobe?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anelka3913, May 3, 2009.

1. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

you dont think out of a billion chinese people not many people will be watching if Yao's Rockets make it to the finals??? I think a Rockets vs. Cavs Finals will draw a huge viewing audience. altho, ultimately Stern will want Lebron to win. but screw that. we all know we can stop the Cavs. It's the Grizz, Mavs, and Lakers we had problems with

2. BornToWIN

BornToWIN Member

Yes, simpley refers to the series bulls vs. piston

3. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

not a chancee...he shoots pure jumpers in defender's faces..wat makes u think he'll drive wit few inches to spare wit that ICECOLD jumper in his possession!?!?

4. BornToWIN

BornToWIN Member

After reading your comments , I think the title should be changed to "A way to stop the L.As". You figer a way to let kobe play in his own rhythm, by isolating him from the whole team. But I think it won't work, why? Because you neglect another important player, Gasol, who is the real core to connect the team. Your tactic may work 2 years before, but now with Gasol, L.A is not so dependent on KB except the time down to the stretch.

5. ThaBlackKnight

Honestly, I think we should double team. I know he has teammates that can hit shots and create their own shots, but we cannot allow Kobe to beat us...he's too good.

I know this is much easier said than done, but make Gasol and Odom be big time players in the playoffs. Make Fisher have to score 15-20 ppg. Make Ariza have to create a shot. Let Vujacic jack up a shot everytime he touches the ball.

I didn't get to see the game vs. Lebron in Houston, but from what I read, he was doubled a lot, and his teammates didn't step up that night.

I know Kobe's support is better and more versatile than Lebron's, but I honestly don't think you can allow Kobe to beat us.

Another factor in this strategy is how will Kobe handle this mentally. If his teammates aren't producing and we can find a way to take a good lead, then Kobe will try to force the issue...he's a scorer and an assassin at heart, he won't be afraid to try to attack a double team of Artest and Battier late in the game. I say let him try to force the issue.

We have Yao at the rim if the Lakers feel like they should drive in, so I think we MIGHT be able to get away with this.

At the very least, double Kobe hard on the perimeter early in the clock when they are in their triangle set. Make him give it up early, keep denying him the ball, and hope that by the time he gets it, he'll have to rush up a shot with the clock running down.

The one advantage of using Artest as the primary defender is the fact that he is willing to play Kobe physical. In a series, that can wear a player out. If Artest can deny Kobe the ball and make him work for it every possession, and then Kobe gets doubled, then maybe...just maybe we can affect his rythem and energy a little bit.

At the end of the day, Kobe will affect the game one way or another. He's just too good. All we can do is make him work for it. If Vernon Maxwell, John Starks and Joe Dumars could make Jordan work really hard for his points, then Ron Artest and Shane Battier can do the same on Kobe. The thing about Kobe is, he is much more willing to settle for the jumper. On some nights, that can be a nightmare, but on most, you'll live with the odds.

So my strategy: Double Kobe hard when he first gets the ball to disrupt him. Make the rest of his team have to score a bunch of points. Don't even allow Kobe to drive and dish. If he gives up the ball after the initial double, he's going to attempt to get it back, then we have to deny him the ball as long as we can. Hopefully by then, the clock will be around 5 seconds or so, and he won't have the luxury of taking his time when he makes his move. Then if all that fails and he gets to the rim, we have Yao there who can atleast make him adjust his shot a little bit. If Kobe wants to shoot perimeter jumpers all game, then I say let him. He's a great shooter, but I think he'll miss just enough shots and we will be able to stay close.

1 person likes this.
  6. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

You are not going to stop Kobe, no one on this planet cannot stop kobe. Double, Triple team it doesnt matter. THe only way you stop Kobe if you knock him flat on his face and he wont know what hits him. but yea on another note ROCKETS for the W tomorrow.

7. ThaBlackKnight

Back then Kobe didn't have a very good supporting cast...Smush Parker was the starting point guard and Kwame Brown was the starting center. Enough said there.

The Rockets back then just played tough defense, were able to help out a lot, and the only way Bryant could really score was by getting to the foul line which he was successful at. His FG% was horrible at times though vs. the Rockets, but he would get his 40-50 point nights. But, he had to work his butt off to get those points.

Now, Kobe has the luxury of playing 1-on-1, knowing that he has teammates that can help. I still say make his teammates beat you. Don't allow Kobe to get going. We should send hard double teams at him. If at all possible, don't leave Fisher open, but I'd rather live with him scoring 20 than Bryant scoring 30+ and getting his team involved.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

JVG slowed a much more immature Kobe down by more or less picking the routes that Kobe moved in so he was forced to take jump shots that at the time, he wasn't as good at... sort of like herding sheep as you will. Artest and Battier may attempt to do that, but they do not have the athleticism to keep up with Kobe and Kobe's jump shot under pressure has significantly improved as well.

9. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Well for those of you guys saying to double him, I do agree but I don't suggest it everytime. I suggest mixing it up like how defenses play Yao Ming. However, If I want any guy sending help on him it's the guy guarding Odom or Luke Walton since they are so inconsistent at everything. But you really just have to hope he misses, he's just too skilled at everything to get literally shut down.

10. ThaBlackKnight

I agree with your point about mixing it up. I say if he's way out on the perimeter, wait til he attempts to drive b4 somebody comes to help. If he's in the post, I say double him at different times.

One time, double him initially, the next time, double him after his first dribble, and then fake a double, or lastly come over after he's made his move and make him avoid that last defender on his last step. Main thing is, just disrupt him. He's good enough to get over that, but he's not nearly as effective, compared to when he's in a nice rythem. Take him out of his comfort zone and frustrate him.

It is possible to frustrate him...2003 Spurs, 2004 Pistons and 2008 Celtics. Kobe's teams lost all 3 of those series because tried to do too much on his own. He tried to forced the issue.

This season, he hasn't had to force the issue because of his teammates, but nobody has really challenged his teammates to beat them. I say lets try it.

11. juliusking

juliusking Member

you konw what ?

Kobe is the best shooting guard in current league now,that's should be shared with T-mac.no one could stop him in a whole game,which ron&shane should do is mark on him,try their best to keep his eyes out of the rim.just like shane did before.

U can slao let these two guys lock on him,like blazers did for Yao.but it'll take a risk.

so,wait&see what'll happen tomorrow

12. HookemHorns1250

Honestly, to me the most important thing is to make sure he is unable to get the team involved early. I've watched him too many times be unselfish in the first half, doing a really good job of getting his team involved, and score only around 15 points or so. Then erupt in the 4th quarter.

Kobe is going to get his, there's nothing you can do about it. He is too talented. To me, the gameplan should be the same as the Blazers, in which we allowed Roy and Alridge to get theres, but focused on shutting down the rest of the team. Kobe will get his, just need to focus on not allowing Odom, Gasol, ect to beat you.

13. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I actually found a blog in the Chronicle touching on what JVG would do in regards to the Lakers and Kobe.

He basically said the keys to success was:
    1. winning the point guard matchup
    2. Make 3s
    3. Keep Bryant from the FT line
    4. Compete with poise
    5. Make Kobe a passer in the 4th.

[rquoter]
    Jeff Van Gundy has the formula for the Rockets success versus the Lakers

The Z Report
    A sports blog with Lance Zierlein

I got ahold of Jeff Van Gundy on Sunday afternoon to find out what he felt like the keys were for the Rockets to defeat the Lakers. He's had some run-ins against the Lakers in the past so he gave me a list of things the Rockets need to do and I will pass them along to you ...

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2009/05/jeff_van_gundy_has_the_formula.html [/rquoter]

14. melo061

melo061 Member

The problem is that Kobe is still HANDCHECKED. Defenders ride him to this day, to the point where Kobe goes on a mission to prove the point that they're grabbing him. Kobe never gets those calls, only when he gets fouled inside.

Did you last year's playoff series vs jazz? Harping and Co tried and handcheck Kobe and got penalized for it. The result was 15+ fts for Kobe every game. They thought they could get away with it like they did in the regular season.

15. teampunjabi

teampunjabi Member

We need to somehow make Kobe #24 turn into the old Kobe #8

16. cassidy

cassidy Member

it is not easy to stop Kobe
    what about a little bit bad luck with him? :p

17. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

your forgot silver bullets and holy water :D

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

and white women! :D

19. ibm

ibm Member

Should We Double Kobe...

if the game is close going into the 4th quarter?

i think adelman is right. the lakers go into the 4th with increased defensive pressure and kobe will have the ball in his hands a lot. and this has worked almost every time against us in the regular season.

so, to counter this, should we send firm double teams to kobe and force the ball out of his hands? i'd like to see adelman deploy this at least once in the series and see what happens.

thoughts?

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No.

Play him one on one, double late if you have to...

DD