1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Perfect Storm

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by solid, May 1, 2009.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

Perfect storms are rare. A number of weather elements have to converge at just the right time for one to occur. But they do occur.

In the general media the Lakers-Rockets series is a fore gone conclusion: the Lakers will beat the dookie out of the Rockets. It won't be close, a cakewalk.
    The Lakers will say the right things when interviewed, but what are they really thinking? They are bigger, faster, better; they SHOULD win.

BUT, what if a number of circumstances come together at just the right time to change the outcome? What if a PERFECT STORM forms up and blows everyone away?

I suggest there are at least two elements brewing out there that could contribute.

1. The Lakers and their fans are overconfident. They swept the season series; they have every right to be. They were worried about Portland, but not the Rockets. This could come back to bite.

2. The Rockets have virtually nothing to lose. Their season is a success; they have scaled the mountain; overcome the curse. Everything is icing on the cake from here on. So, they will likely be playing relatively loose. This could be good or bad. The can't relax on defense, they must play with intensity. But, on offense, free stroking might be the ticket.

Are there other ingredients to the perfect storm that might be coming together? Well, the series could turn on an injury, a player becoming hot or cold, or something else. What do you think? Perfect storms do happen and they bring shock and awe.

2. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

the perfect storm would be kobe getting injured.

3. iku

iku Member

bring on the lakers man, we're prepared!
    i was just reading on clublakers.com... most of them think the lakers can take us in 5.
    we'll give them hell! GO ROCKETS!

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

The Perfect Situation in my opinion is the Rockets giving it their all no matter how it turns out.

Then, at the trade deadline next season, we dump McGrady's contract and bring in a legit scoring wing player and a backup C en route to another playoff appearance with a stronger arsenal.

5. KareemOlajuwon

what i was thinking.

6. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

I think Gasol is more important to Lakers.

7. tutone88

tutone88 Member

Mark my words: Ron is paving the way to get Kobe suspended. Ron's talking trash and he'll be in his head before he ever steps on the Court. I'm hoping Ron can get him to commit a flagrant foul. I think he's got something up his sleeve.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Swine Flu + Kobe =[​IMG]

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Then both getting injured. Seriously, the perfect storm is the repeat of the game 1 of the portland series. The lakers do not like to double, the rockets could steal the game 1 if Yao is really hot, and if the lakers are rusty due to too much rest.

10. rocketsmetalspd

The Perfect Storm is that the Rockets are team meant for the playoffs not the regular season. The team is clicking at the right time and becoming more dangerous as the playoffs continue.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

the perfect storm would be the BIG one hitting L.A. over the weekend forcing them to play all home games in phoenix.

12. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

jackson becoming senile

13. blacktopKING

blacktopKING Member

Like I had mentioned before in other threads, if Yao is not fronted, he will dominate with his shooting and/or passing. He is a pretty good passer for a guy his size a la Divac. Ron must have been showing him a lot of Divac tape from the old Sac days. Anyway, its going to be up to the role guys to knock down shots when they start to double Yao. Scola and Battier stepped up big in the Portland series and I look forward to more of the same. Hopefully Yao has learned that he cannot bring that ball low when he is playing vs the Lakers...

14. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Lakers without Kobe is very beatable.

Lakers without Gasol is still very unbeatable.

These next few games against the Lakers will tell us a lot about Rox going forward.

15. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Kobe without Lakers, beatable.

16. Yakapo

Yakapo Member

I don't think that the refs will eject him much less suspend him. Kobe is their cash cow.

17. Yakapo

Yakapo Member

I hope they watch lots of tape of the last few games we played against the fakers. Kobe was interfering every time we tried to dump it to Yao in the post. He created a lot of turnovers.

18. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

We need to take the first game.

Gasol and Odom need to have a bad series. They are the Aldridge and Outlaw of LA.

Need to stop LAs Offensive rebounding (it is very offensive).

We need to hit from 3 like crazy.

Yao needs to get going, unfronted.

Our bench has to outplay their bench.

ALL THE PRESSURE IS ON LA.

19. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

hmmm. interesting.

20. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

LOL, co sign