1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Question of Buying a Pick

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by thumbs, Mar 3, 2009.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Recently Daryl Morey said the Rockets would consider buying a pick if there were a player the Rockets desired who would be available between 20 and 40. What team, if any, do you think would sell its pick, and what player do you think Morey, Adelman et al would covet with that pick?

I think we might be able to snag the third of Minnesota's three first round picks. They need the cash and they don't need that many young players. With that pick and some sweetener -- and lots of luck -- we might be able to move up to get B.J. Mullens or back to take Jerome Jordan or Josh Heytvelt. We desperately need a backup center, although there is not much out there in this draft.

#1 thumbs, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I think it would probably be from OKC. They have picks out da a$$!

And I don't really know who'd they target I'd say a DaJuan Blair or Craig Brackens player. Maybe even like you said B.J Mullens, really it all depends on how and who's stock will rise and fall headed into the NCAA tourney.

Hopefully it'll be someone worth it. Then again this is Morey we're talkin bout. DUH!!!

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Just to add, they may lean towards gettin a young talented 2/3 since Tracy will be gone and Ron may not be back, ei. Dermar Derozan, Terrence Williams, or maybe even Evan Turner.

4. thumbs

Both are even farther up the food chain than Mullens, and both are PFs, of which we have a plethora. Brackens is your classic tweener but at least he is 6-10.. As far as Blair, regardless of how he plays, we already have our allotted share of munchkin power forwards. He looks more like a heavier, even shorter Joey Dorsey.

That's why I was focusing on backup centers. BTW, if I recall correctly, Oklahoma City already has purged one pick.

5. RocketJoe

RocketJoe Contributing Member

I think New Orleans will think about selling its pick.. With the Chandler trade gone wrong, i don't think they want to have a guaranteed contract on their books next year.. Although they might not want to help out the Rox too much.....

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets buy an early second round pick as opposed to a 1st rounder. Even though the other team is less inclined to sell as that pick isn't guaranteed, if they can still get some cash for it, a Sacramento, Memphis, Clippers team may do it.

I would look for any position other than PF, really.

7. thumbs

What's crazy is that there are strong arguments that 31 - 35 spots are more coveted than the 25 to 30 spots because the caliber of player is the same, especially in this weak draft. As you pointed out the second rounders do not get guaranteed contracts, which is important under current economics. The down side is they are not tied to the drafting team for a guaranteed period of time. Also, IMO, the priorities should be, in order, backup center, SG, SF, tall PG, and tall PF.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Blair has a higher upside than 75% of the players being picked in the first round outside the lottery. I'd say it's either someone like him or a foreign player that Morey would be looking at the most.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I wouldn't be too surprised if they acquire a pick or two and then do the same thing they did last summer---package the pick with an expiring contract (well, actually, THE expiring contract) and get a player who can help the team now.

I don't know if it's possible. If there are teams out there with one good player and one large expiring contract, a team wanting to shed future salary----New Jersey? Sacramento? Milwaukee?---well, they can have Tmac and any pick(s) we acquire.

1 person likes this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Don't forget about Tmac, he can be a trading piece.

11. tuus

tuus Member

by Realgm they not:
    http://www.realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php
    They have 2009 their own, San Antonio and Denver's picks (with some protections) and IF they have more then 1 pick - they should give one pick to Chicago

12. worzel gummidge

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/129071780

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Yeah, I heard Lamar Coach Roccaforte talking about this on the radio last night. He said he's been to a couple of a games as a guest of the Rockets, and scouts would corner him and talk to him about Dawkins the whole time. They had him at tryouts.

From a Lamar fan: Dawkins is a lot like Aaron Brooks, except maybe a little more edge to him. He's a great shooter, incredible ball-handler, good penetrator, decent passer, and very small. Odds are that he won't get drafted, but he should get a shot.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

if the rockets do and get a pick (and for some reason I think they may do multiple picks or trades) I really hope they get another big man.

we need size backing up Yao badly.

15. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I agree, its too easy for teams to get yao into foul trouble, with Deke i felt secure in knowing no one would be just driving in over and over, we need another 7 footer, who cares if he can score, just someone to stop the drives or to put a body on someone while yao is out.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If we get a late pick it'd be well worth spending it on Patrick Mills.

Another small PG (6'0) - but he has fantastic speed and control in the open court and is an excellent finisher.

I think it'd take a year or 2 to teach him 'appropriate decision making' - but once he's got that down the sky's the limit.

17. rockets_fanatic

He is an upgrade on Aaron Brooks. I would love to have Lowry start and Mills off of the bench. Trade Brooks, I say.

18. rockets_fanatic

I'm going to post this here, because I can't make my own threads. SO be all means if someone wants to make this into a seperate thread go for it. I just want to post a video of Patrick Mills. It isn't a highlights package, but the last 6 minutes of one of his college games.
    He misses teh first shot, but notice how he poasses it into the post!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nMV0y4z5pJM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nMV0y4z5pJM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

19. slay743

slay743 Member

I saw that kid play at an sfa game a couple months back he looked pretty decent he was the one keeping them in the game, never thought he would get looked at because of the school he attended though.

20. cdastros

cdastros Member

I really like Sam Young. He would be a perfect Artest replacement.