1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Portland Fans Still Delusional RE: Oden vs. Durant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Baqui99, Apr 27, 2009.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You would think Rockets fans would have some patience.

Yao was at times, GOD AWFUL, in his rookie season.

Mentally the kid is just not ready yet, but he has all the tools...

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Physically?

Yao was iron man in his rookie years.

Oden has already shown that he is more of an injury prone than any other player in this league and for his AGE.

A 20 year old player who already had a season ending injury in his supposed first season of the NBA and has already missed a couple of month games in his rookie season.

Oden may have the talent and the size. Perhaps even the mentality. Though the body demands from a player, not the other way around. Oden will only go as far as the body can take him. Though I have to say, at his age with already so much injury, I'm not sure he has a bright future, especially the fact that centers take the most beating in the NBA.

3. Chamillionaire

no, Durant is much much better than Oden. that's a fact. at best, Oden will be a great defensive force with some post moves. 15-10. he's like a Howard light at best.

4. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

I actually think if Oden can stay healthy, he will be pretty good. Much quicker than I thought before seeing him. He will eventually be the best fit for them. They made the right choice.

5. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Sure, a 40 years old man with a knee surgury in his rookie season. Has no offense game whatsoever and his defense is subpar.

You guys can keep believing it.

Comparing Oden to Yao's rookie season is laughable. Yao was an iron man in his first three season, never missed a game, I believe. He had tons of experience of international competition and already played big stages in Olympics and World Championship games. He had solid low post moves and extremely accurate jumpers. Oden has none of that. Don't be naive, guys.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Vince Young was better than Mario Williams after 1 year also.

7. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Yao also thought Vspan was Nash on the court. Oden = Chuck + dunk - defense.

8. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

If there is no Oden in this portland team, we be looking at the total domination by yao ming. Sure they be better on offense, but defensive wise?

9. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

Oden is playing against the best center in the league in his second year (practically first) and looks bad. Anyone remember Hakeem and how he made Shaq look horrible? Shaq turned out alright

Whenever a team plays the thunder they assume its a win, durant is able to surprise a lot of people

too early to tell in my opinion

10. AXG

AXG Member

Seriously. That would be trouble trying to defend Roy, Aldridge, and KDur.

I always thought Oden was overrated, but never this much. Right now, Brook Lopez looks like a better center than Oden.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Firstof all, the op's opinion is smeared because he stated he's a longhorn fan. Next, people always want to come on this boarrd and talk about putting up great numbers on a bad team. I think its harder because the opposition is focused on u, but there is zero pressure to win. Another thing is, I think oden is going to be 16ppg 12 rebs 3 blks type of guy. I don't think he'll ever be a dump down type, but he's strong as hell, athletic, and has decent feet. If he works hard, he can even be closer to 20ppg, but he'll never be a really good offensive player. He didn't have a great yr, but I think once he gets his injuries behind him, he's going to be ok. Durant won't be in the playoffs anytime soon while the blazers will be there for a while.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

He'll never reach 16-12 because he averages like 10 fouls per 48 minutes. I've never seen anything like it really. Last game he picked up 5 fouls in 11 minutes and finished with 0 points. Impressive.

People talk about Oden's upside, but look at Durant who has already emerged as a star shooting 48% from the field and 42% from behind the arc as a 20 year old. It is scary to think about how good he'll be in his prime.

13. leebigez

So u think he's going to be a foul prone big man? We don't know and i'm looking at the tools that translate into the nba. He catches the ball clean with his hands, he's strong, he has decent footwork, and he's athletic. U bring up the game when he did nothing, but what about when he backed deke down and dunked on him? What about the mini flurry of finishes he had? The guy is basically a rookie playing in his 1st playoff game. Look at his team structure and the other players around him and he will not be the weak link. In fact, he will be really good for them in general. Durant may be the better player, but his team will suck for awhile. Roy is better than durant, aldridge is better than anyone else they have. Outlaw and rudy are better than anyone else they have also and oden is the cherry on top. He will get easy dunks and postups because of roy and others. 16-12-3 is going to be easy for him if he stays healthy. That's a big if, but we will see. By the way, where was durant this weekend? Yep hanging with rudy gay and oj mayo.

14. YugoRocketsFan

Greg Oden is considered a bust to many people but people defenitely dont know how to identify talent, some people thought that Ricky Rubio was gonna be a bust because he didnt score like 20 points on team USA in the olympic finals, sure lets see a kid whos 17 score that much on a team full of superstars.

But really, Oden will only be a bust IF, injuries and ticky tacky fouls plague his whole career, if he manages to stay way from those 2, he will be damn good.

15. duteman

duteman Member

i wouldn't knock him yet...if he can stay healthy and tries hard to learn the game he can be more dominating than dwight in my opinion

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

You sound like a Texans fan trying to make excuses for David Carr.

17. GloryDays 94-95

Potentially, Oden should be able to give you 16-10 and 2.5bpg. Since he is a big man, his learning curve will be a little steeper, and moreso with the injuries. Once he learns the game, he will be able to stay out of foul trouble. You guys saw his 1st summer league game. 10 fouls!(cant foul out of those i i think). The only way that can be solved is by playing time and coaching to help him realize situations and controlled agression. As far as offensively, a big man can average a dbl dbl if he is just simply active on the off. end. But with his tools, he can be much more. I just dont see it in portland. Or maybe its because his role is clearly undefined. They should be going to him against the second unit exclusively on post ups to open up rudy and outlaw. But what do we see? The total opposite. They seem to be too perimeter oriented for his game at times.

18. leebigez

Never liked carr, thought peppers was the guy. I'm oilers/titans man anyway.

19. Diggler

Diggler Member

Durant is perimeter talent. But if you know anything about basketball and observe the timing, positioning Oden has to rebound, defend, shot block, and score, besides Yao, there really has been no big man with those attributes other than Tim Duncan 1997 at 7' +. Clearly a great post presence > than perimeter talent like Durant any day. Hell if we could some how get Oden it would be great.

20. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Durant and Roy would not be able to co-exist. Durant would just waste his potential, skills and talent over in Portland. Same was said about Jordan because The Blazers had Clyde Drexler..

Drafting Oden wasn't the mistake, Maybe Oden himself is.