1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have the Rockets become the Jazz?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you. — Friedrich Nietzsche

The commentary from Blazers fans (Dwight Jaynes' blog, Blazersedge.com) have been reminding me of the frustration expressed by Houston fans against Utah Jazz in past playoffs Particularly, their frustration at the Blazers' failure to secure a defensive rebound in the 4th quarter have reminded me of the Rockets failure to secure defensive rebound in the series a couple years ago.

So, I've been thinking maybe the past battles with the Jazz, and the personnel moves made as a part of that experience have turned the Rockets into a more Jazz like team.

We are annoyed at AK's flopping. Now we have Scola.

Matt Harpring is public enemy #1 for bullying McGrady. Artest is basically a new and improved version of Harpring.

Morey, like Kevin O'Connor, has been adding good young talent to the team through the draft and built a deep team.

Both teams make opposing fans hate the referees.

If the Rockets ever master the passing, cutting involved in Adelman's preferred offense, this team can be significantly more agitating to opponents and opposing fans than the Jazz. And that will be beautiful.

2. cheeseburger34

It's just a coincidence if anything.

These days, every team in the NBA has a flopper, and Artest is just a bad ass. That's common knowledge.

3. MattM

MattM Member

Until Scola starts consistently flopping when he gets boxed out, then I'll say you can't compare his floppage to AK's floppy

4. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Blasphemy!

5. Super Von

Super Von Member

I thought that when I watched the Rockets grab a bunch of offensive rebounds late in the game.

I dont see how Portland can be mad at the refs. Every time Roy drove the ball he went to the line.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

not even close....Scola isn't likely to flop on a last second play like AK, he tries to flop throughout the game to draw some fouls, but when it's crunch time he doensnt look for the refs to bail him out like AK.

The refs give us a lot of legit calls, opposing fans dont like it because it's a lot and a lot of them arent on shots, but holding and pushing Yao are all fouls. We hated the refs because they fell for the Jazz's flopping, not just AK's, but harpring's and okur's as well.

Just a coincidence that you can relate some of the things u mentioned.

7. cshen

cshen Member

AK's flops are way more over-exaggerated compare to Scola.

8. ibm

ibm Member

have some of you lost your mind? :(

9. SeeingRocketRed

No, we are not the Jazz. The Rockets play physical defense, but don't take cheap shots. We don't kick people in the throat. We don't take magic flying leaps backward to draw fouls when there is no contact.

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Indeed.

I think (some) playoff success and the possibility of advancing to the second round has caused some of you younger fans to go bat**** insane.

11. Lonestar

Lonestar Member

Do you remember Game 2's flopper vs Yao ?

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

AK is not the only Jazz player that flops consistently. 3/5 of their line up at any time will flop consistently.

Artest's physical play is different than Harpring's underhanded play. Artest's play is on par with Joel P's and Gregg Odin's.

Furthermore when SCola or any other Rocket gets a dose of their own medicine, they don't cry about it the way the Jazz do.

13. yao123

yao123 Member

get the f0ck out of here blazers fan lol
    any post mentioning refs favoring us and stuff like that is clearly a f0cking blazers fan. Please ignore those piece of ****

14. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i agree. the jazz are to the rockets as the rockets are to the blazers.

they could probably beat any other team in the west except us. we're a mismatch problem, we grab all the offensive rebounds, play tough defense, and are very physical. its very reminiscent to 2 years ago when we complained about the refs and offensive rebounds. then again every fan blames the refs when their team loses.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Another way we've gotten more Jazz-like: just look at how we've been beating up Portland inside. In past years, our only inside scoring presence has been Yao. In this series, Adelman's offense has created post up opportunities for multiple players on the floor, often on the same play and as a consequence of the motion. It makes sense, when you have potential post up threats at 3 (maybe 4) positions in Yao, Artest, Scola, and Battier.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Dude, you need to take it easy with the anger and cursing....especially when it's directed towards another poster. This is the second thread I'm seeing where you react like this. What you're doing is a REAL quick way of getting banned. And Carl Herrera is NOT a Blazers fan....he's just pointing out an observation he made. Relax.

17. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Q: Are We Not Rockets Fans? A: We Are Devo!

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

Good lord how many Rocket/Jazz threads are you going to start?

A few months ago you started a thread asking "Do you wish the Rockets was more like the Jazz"

Then I think you started the "Who do you respect from the Jazz"

Now this ****.

What gives! WHAT GIVES!

:mad:

20. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

We have players that are just relentless and compete ...that is the difference compare to previous years.

You have Battier, Scola, Yao, Artest, Lowry, Wafer.

Did you see Lowry strip the ball constantly causing the turnover last night?? I watched the game over...man he totally disrupted what the Blazers were trying to do. Not only that, when the shots went up...he's looking to attack the basket hoping to get a 2nd chance. This guy really want it and I see him in the same pedigree as Scola and Battier and Yao when it comes to competitiveness. This is what surprise me...I didn't know he has that nature. He and Brooks is night and day. He's also very smart and understand how to run the team....did you see him with the ball and putting his hand up calling out play?? I hardly see Brooks does that. There are couple times he see Yao open and want to pass him the ball but realize he was a bit late. But at least he's looking for Yao unlike Brooks wouldn't even pay attention to Yao. I truly believe Lowry will eventually be a starter over Brooks just because he's so fundamentally sound and his competitiveness nature is unmatched by Brooks. His shooting will come because he's such a great free throw shooter with great form. He pretty much can everything imo. When the team is losing, he sense it and he taking upon himself to attack the basket hoping to change the tile of the game. Did you see him outjumped everyone to get the rebound?? Amazing! He plays like a championship player...like someone who had went through a championship before that is what amazed me.

I said before the series even start that he is going to take over Brooks when the game is on the line just because he's so fundamentally sound. Compete hard play relentless defense and attack to get the team back into the game. Next year, they better start him.